Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2005 3:50:11 PM EDT
I live in Arizona and am 16 yrs old. My Dad recently bought an AR-15 and i have always been interested in guns. I know you have to be 18 to buy rifles but do you have to be 18 to shoot them? And if I can shoot them does it have to be with my Dad? Can i transport the AR-15 in my truck in a hard and locked case? Can i only shoot at a gun range? Feel free to fill in any blanks i did not mention, appreciate it, thanks! -Lance
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You should ask this in the AZ forum, as its a question of state law.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
In OR I believe you can transport and shoot them, just can't buy them. I'd definitely ask the hometown forum.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In OR I believe you can transport and shoot them, just can't buy them. I'd definitely ask the hometown forum.

Same in WA. I'm 18 now, so I watch the WA laws about this pretty closely.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
sweet thanks guys, ill look for a hometown forum.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Fed law says under 18 CAN transport for target practice, and hunting.. But IIRC, you have to have a permision letter form you parent..
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Fed law says under 18 CAN transport for target practice, and hunting.. But IIRC, you have to have a permision letter form you parent..

I'll just forge one... like my report cards

When I turn 18 this summer I'm gonna buy my first AR (under my name at least) and take it to the range every weekend.

EDIT: oh yeah, what is the process of transfering my rifles that my dad bought for me to become legally mine?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

EDIT: oh yeah, what is the process of transfering my rifles that my dad bought for me to become legally mine?

Just have him give them to you.. This is a common misconception of gun owners.. You do not have to have it "In your name".
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]
If i have a note from my parents can i just go 'plinking?' I know some older people that just go out for fun but they are older. to rephrase do i HAVE to be target practicing or hunting?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
LanceB.....

"Plinking" IS target practice.... hestill be legal...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#10]
no you don't have to be 18 to shoot one.

edit: in arizona or utah at least.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm over 18. If I get a note from my grandparents, can I bump fire under water? If so that would be great!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
LanceB.....

If you want to work your way around the law, you have to know the law & where/how to fudge with it & still be legal...

Coffee  

How does it go? "The young man knows all the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."  Something like that.  The laws vary by state, but generally speaking you can transport your dad's guns to and from lawful sporting activities like shooting matches, target practice (plinking) and hunting if you are under 18 years of age.  Just be cautious to do the right thing and cover your bases, because you may one day come across some asshat cop who is either ignorant or stupid (or both) and you will need to have your ducks in a row.  I was busted while I was plinking with my dad's guns when I was a minor and and I was cited for "negligent use of a firearm."  Upon my first meeting with the court the charges were dropped and an unofficial apology was issued, but it was a very unpleasant ordeal, and you can imagine how I felt about law enforcement officers for years after that.  Just make sure you're right.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in Georgia and Im 16 and My mom brought a M4A3 bushmaster from a dealer in  town . I give her my money...shes buys it in her name then she gives it to me. Now it is legally mine. I think that in GA you can transport a rifle in your truck/car if you are under 18, but you have to have it in a case and it cannot be loaded. Ammo has to be in a separate box. You can own a rifle in GA if your under 18 you just cant buy one til your 18 and 21 to own a handgun.I think thats right. Just my 2 cents.

-Matt
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Lance,

I have to ask, why don´t you want to shoot with your father?  Those are some of my best memories!  Anyhow, you may transport, shoot, and own a rifle in Arizona.  You are only prohibited from purchasing from a licensed dealer.   I would recommend you use caution plinking.  Three of my buddies (on this forum) were approached by the Pima County Sheriffs and were cited for wreckless discharge of a firearm.  They were shooting in an area that was used for plinking near the Pima County Fairgrounds in Tucson.  A Tucson Electric Power employee on the other side of I10 said that a bullet ripped through his pants.  They each spent over $15,000 in legal fees and payoff to the TEP employee before the charges were dropped.  Just my $.02.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#15]
this is good info, thanks. P.S. It's not that i dont want to shoot with my Dad its just if he isnt round but i still want to shoot. Again, thanks for the support!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot 25 times more often than my old man, I shit you not. So I always had to go shooting on my own, even though he's fine with guns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#17]
My six-year-old daughter owns a CZ uppered AR-15 that I built for her. Am I a bad parent?

There is no question about her being my daughter, because she prefers the "unicorns" on the side of my ARs
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Do you have any boys? I'm sure they would prefer the mean looking snake instead...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top