Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2002 7:43:49 AM EDT
We had two guns go down at Thunder Ranch.   Both seemed to be the victim of Jewell triggers.

Is there a heavy duty aftermarket trigger that will stand up to some use and still give a better release?
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Accuracy Speaks single stage.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#2]

One of my JP's has ran over 5K and the other over 10K with no problems. A 2-stage like a Jewell is a poor choice for that type of shooting. That said, the one in my CMP AR has never given me a problem either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a JP in my rifle right now.  It has doubled on me one time and I increased the engagement to attempt to cure that.  No more problems with that issue.

I had a problem with hard primers, so I switched to the standard hamer spring and I have not had a problem with that since that time.

However, I do worry about it.

I have a Colt lower with the larger diameter pins.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Accuracy Speaks single stage.

Ditto...
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a JP in my AR for about 3 weeks now, so I cannot speak for the durability.

But the release is sweet.  Brutally better than the stock trigger.

The install CD is really excellent.  It walks you through the entire process with video.

Amish
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had my Jewell for a few years now without issue.

I wouldn't put any aftermarket trigger on a CQB/SHTF rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wouldn't put any SET-SCREW adjustable trigger in a SHTF/duty rifle,-Troy

If you know what your doing when you install the thing, they will never loosen
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I HAVE SEVERAL THOUSAND ROUNDS THROUGH MY M16A1 LOWER WITH KNIGHT'S ADJUSTABLE 2-STAGE SEMI/SINGLE-STAGE FULL AUTO TRIGGER WITH NARY A PROBLEM.

WES GRANT
MSTN.BIZ

Got these for sale Wes?
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Colt MT6724, use it as a varmint rifle.Removed the factory S/S "Match" trigger because I'm used to a single stage for hunting.I  replaced it with a JP - I love it!

I took the Colt Match trigger and installed it in a carbine. It's not a target trigger by any means, but it beats the pants off the stock trigger, has no adjustments to mess-up, no additional parts, is a straight drop in, and it's inexpensive. Brownells has'em for about $70 I think.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#12]
After using 5 in various configurations, I'd
have to vote for the RRA two-stage trigger.
It's crisp,reasonably light, and very
consistent. Also, it's easy to install and uses
stock springs. It's NON-adjustable, so nothing
to fall out of adjustment,just a good all-around trigger--about $95 (try Equip.Exch.)
Good shooting, Chuck Hunt
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Thought about that trigger, unfortunately not avaliable to fit late pre-ban Colt with the larger diameter pins.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a Colt MT6724, use it as a varmint rifle.Removed the factory S/S "Match" trigger because I'm used to a single stage for hunting..

Isnt the the Colt "Match" trigger hard chrome & single stage?
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been trying to find a Colt "Match Trigger Group" (large trigger pin) for a few months now. Both Brownells and Sawlesales.com are backordered and both said the factory isn't shipping. Brownells last order was from before March/April and Tina @ Sawlesales says its been close to a year for them. I'll probably be getting an Accuracy Speaks trigger, unless anyone else has a source.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
[I'll bet the guys at Thunder Ranch thought the same thing...

-Troy

I'm wondering how you can stand to get in your car and drive it every day without having an anxiety attack about the wheels falling off. Like it or not, everyday your life depends on fasteners of some sort

Since any pudknocker can take his rifle to Thunder Ranch, you don't know who worked on them or if they were secured.
 It's not rocket science to keep a couple of tiny set screws from moving. Before you install, roll them between two steel plates to "fatten" the threads a bit, clean both the male and female threads with acetone and loctite them. You could skip this step if they would bother to use the ones with the nylon button.  Once they're set, you never have to move them again. If you're a real paranoid you can pull the trigget after it's set and hit the screws with a TIG.

BTW, just about every factory bolt rifle trigger has some sort of setscrew adjustable engagement.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
AR15fan,
        No, the Colt Match trigger that came in the rifle that I bought (NIB @ Colt dealer) is made of stainless steel. Even the trigger pins. And it is two-stage. First stage weight of pull goes three and one quarter lbs. with an additional one and one quarter lbs. needed to break the second stage. Measured with my trusty but probably not so accurate RCBS recording scale. As I posted earlier, it's just OK, not great, but it's simple and I trust it in my CQB carbine. It's a bunch better than what Colt puts in their standard line, but I'd get a KAC or the much less expensive RRA for match competition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top