Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/15/2003 1:17:00 PM EDT
Do any of you guys use the DPMS (or other) solid firing pin retaining pin or do you guys just use the standard one? Mine's bent from removing after cleaning and thought that the (old style?) solid pin might be a good idea.
This is what I am talking about.
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5554&title=AR-15+FIRING+PIN&s=12981#12981
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
As cheap as the pins are, I would pay the 50 cents and get a few to throw in with my gear.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I know what you mean about the retaining pin bending.  I called DPMS and asked them that since the standard retaining pin bends so much. "Would this Stainlees steel one damage the firing pin?"  They said," NO". You have to weigh the cost difference though. Standard pins are approx. $.75 to $1.50 each. These more stout ones are about $6.00 plus shipping. I have thought about it but I'll just purchased 5 or 6 of the standard ones and just replace as needed.
[beer]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the solid pins myself. I also figured out how to aline the double pin, but there is a lot more that can go wrong with the dern thing. If the edges are'nt broke, or it has a strong desire to split apart and such. Give me the original version anytime.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to get some of the fancy type, til somebody on this site posted that they had bought one, and after awhile it snapped in two-----so I'm still using the cotter pins[:D]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanx for the responces. I have my C&R and am listed as a dealer, so the cost would be a bit over $3.00 for it plus shipping. Still not sure which way to go, but am wondering where you guys get the cotter pins for $.75? Cheapest Ive seen is $1.50 each. Hardware store?

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one in my range rifle and don't think much of it.  It doesn't grab the hole as well as the "cotter pin" type leading me to worry about the wear on my upper since the fit of the carrier to the upper is the only thing keeping it in.

After trying it i bought several of the cotter pin types to keep for spares.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about as far as bent retaining pins.  Mine don't show any such wear and tear.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top