Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/26/2004 4:30:31 PM EST
I'd like to see someone come out with see thru mags for ARs similar to the G36. Anyone else? Who would be the logical company to aproach to make them?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:33:10 PM EST
Why see-through?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:38:33 PM EST
I have found when shooting lots of driils it would be nice to know when your mag is running dry. I just attended a 2 day shoot where we when through almost 2000 rounds with lots of mag changes, and there were times I would have liked to see what I had left. My guess is thats why G36 and P90 mags are see thru
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:43:20 PM EST
DPMS makes see-through 10 round mags. I think.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:44:53 PM EST
how about just drill 2 or 3 witness holes on your mag body? I've seen some foreign AR clones with magazines that have witness holes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:59:08 PM EST
Here is the DPMS see through 10 round mags. So they will probaly have 30 rounders after the ban.www.dpmsinc.com/10Browse.asp
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:14:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheSaint2004:
Here is the DPMS see through 10 round mags. So they will probaly have 30 rounders after the ban.www.dpmsinc.com/10Browse.asp

I like that a lot actually, if they made 30 rounders I'd pick a few up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:44:27 PM EST
I thought the main problem with those was that you couldnt see how many rounds were left once you got past the magwell. Id still buy one though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:47:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By Major_98:
I thought the main problem with those was that you couldnt see how many rounds were left once you got past the magwell. Id still buy one though.

Well with a standard mag you can only see two rounds in there, and only when you take the mag out. So it is better than nothing. I personally know when I am out of ammo because the gun won't go "bang"
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:52:04 PM EST
One of the guys in my first USMC unit had a bunch of pre-ban (well, this was before the ban anyway) clear or translucent brown 30 rounders, made by, IIRC, Ram-Line. They seemed to function OK and I never heard him beef about durability.

Post-AWB, if they're available again, I'll get a few.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:16:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:52:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 6:56:26 PM EST by Lockedon]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

Originally Posted By Bonk2029:
One of the guys in my first USMC unit had a bunch of pre-ban (well, this was before the ban anyway) clear or translucent brown 30 rounders, made by, IIRC, Ram-Line. They seemed to function OK and I never heard him beef about durability.

Post-AWB, if they're available again, I'll get a few.

Ram-Line did make some clear mags that you could swap between a Mini-14 and an AR. I use to have several but found they didn't hold up to being loaded for extended periods of time. I sold them off when I sold my Mini-14.

I have one of those suckers for strictly ornamental purposes. Looks good, specially loaded, but thats about it. It's a bitch to get into your magwell, and you have to pull it out. The plastic is brittle as an AR magwell was designed for ALUMINUM mags, not plastic. I definately wouldn't trust my life on it if you paid me. Clear mags after the sunset will have the same problem, as you can't make plastic as thin as aluminum and expect it to hold up to any major wear and tear. Also once you've shot 15 rounds, your ammo will pass the magwell border. So basically you'd only know if your mag is half empty or not.

Edited to add:
Here's mine

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:04:54 PM EST
I have one also, it fails to funtion quite often.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:07:21 PM EST
Clear/translucient plastic seems to be much more brittle than opaque plastic. If the plastic mag is thin enuff to fit the AR15 magwell then it'll be too thin to stand up to use. A dual compostion mag (clear plastic molded around a steel mesh framework) might work ok but why bother?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:19:41 PM EST
I always thought this was pretty neat.

I know when my mag is empty b/c the sound of fire changes on the final round. It's instinctive by now and my hand goes for a new mag almost instantly. Being able to see inside the mag for an AR is pretty useless since you can't see how many rounds are tucked into the mag well.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:28:41 PM EST
Just wondering, is the plastic the same used in Thermold mags?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:35:51 PM EST
Put a tracer round towards the end. . . nothing like letting the bad guy see where it came from!

Honestly though, if you have a crazy day at the range (qualifying, free for all or just for fun) and you prepare, a tracer does the trick!

Now, for real world situations you make the call.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:39:08 PM EST
Should reliability be an issue, I don't see a reason to own one.

However, I know there are a bazillion people ready to get one just for the "cool" factor.

If they are reliable in the feeding department, I could see using them for bowling pin shoots, etc. I wouldn't trust them in terms of anything else. Hell, I actually prefer steel to aluminum when it comes to my mags.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:34:40 PM EST
i wouldn't mind having one
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:37:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By MJFRacing:
Put a tracer round towards the end. . . nothing like letting the bad guy see where it came from!

Honestly though, if you have a crazy day at the range (qualifying, free for all or just for fun) and you prepare, a tracer does the trick!

Now, for real world situations you make the call.

two or three tracers at the end is/was a common military practice.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:45:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:42:15 AM EST
I'm sure you can find AWESOME see thru mags at the fun show!

Maybe even some Navy Seal ones!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:42:28 AM EST
On the Ramline, actually the plastic is as thick as the metal, PLUS the thickness of the ribs in the USGI mag.

But still the plastic has lots of flex in the feedlips. In order to get around this somewhat, the spring is weak. The feeding of the last few rounds is iffy, and on either the AR-15 or Mini-14, the mag catch will not be actuated.

On top of that, with a full mag, dropping the mag, bumping it, or even shaking it hard before inserting into the rifle will make the feedlips flex and half the ammo will squirt all over the place. So, there you are, something went bump in the night, you fumbled your mag, and your ammo is all over the floor.

Repeat after me... USGI, USGI, USGI, USGI, USGI.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:20:57 PM EST
dpms's idea that thier see-through mags is dumb; you are suppost to "count the rounds available"--uh the mag is too small, you cant see anything b/c of the mag well
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:09:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 9:09:57 PM EST by Darkest2000]

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
On the Ramline, actually the plastic is as thick as the metal, PLUS the thickness of the ribs in the USGI mag.

That sounds a little too thin for plastic
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:32:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:

But still the plastic has lots of flex in the feedlips. In order to get around this somewhat, the spring is weak. The feeding of the last few rounds is iffy, and on either the AR-15 or Mini-14, the mag catch will not be actuated.

On top of that, with a full mag, dropping the mag, bumping it, or even shaking it hard before inserting into the rifle will make the feedlips flex and half the ammo will squirt all over the place. So, there you are, something went bump in the night, you fumbled your mag, and your ammo is all over the floor.

Repeat after me... USGI, USGI, USGI, USGI, USGI.....

Logically couldn't you make a mag with a plastic body and metal lips?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:05:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By gribble:

It would make the manufacturing process much more complicated, and increase the cost to the point where it's not economical.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:07:52 AM EST
I have a DPMS 10 round see through mag, now used for ornamental purposes only. It is the only mag of all my AR mags that causes malfunctions. There is flex around the feed lips.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:02:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 7:07:54 AM EST by FishKepr]
I have several of the Eagle transparent 30 round magazines and they work quite well. In fact, the only malfunction I've had was definitely 'user related'. However, as the others pointed out, they are far too fragile for any situation where they could be banged around.

EDITED TO ADD:
The Ram-Lines were the worst magazines I've ever had and I returned them immediately.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:33:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By Troy:
As posted, you'd have the same problems as before the ban:

- the mag well prevents you from seeing the most important half of the ammo.
- translucent plastic is extremely brittle
- AR mag wells do not allow for mags to be thick enough for translucent plastic to be rugged

Note that G36 mags are 50% wider than AR mags. That's because that's how thick they need to be to last, and those mags won't come close to fitting in an AR mag well.

-Troy

The thickness problem could be solved by making the mags LONGER. I'll still stick with the USGI mags, though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:18:20 PM EST
My cousin is hilarious ; He said the only bad thing about a plastic mag is if you and / or the gun and mag hits the ground (as in taking cover , etc.) 'THE PARTY'S OVER' . My Dad kept splitting his mags long ways plastic and Gi . I couldn't figure out how he kept gittin' bad mags and then one day I was there when he was loading them he was loading to full CAPACITY you know 20 in a20 rndr. 10 in a 10 rndr. and then smack 'n them up in there like it was nobody's business. I soon educated him to the backn 'em off 2 rounds real fast . Guess what no splitting since then ! ! ! My cousin ( same one) said the other day , " my luck I put on all this crap on and sight my optics in and be on top of the situation run through the door and some PUNK will get lucky with a MARLIN 30/30 !" I came unglued but that's about the size of it !
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:52:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By lu380:

- AR mag wells do not allow for mags to be thick enough for translucent plastic to be rugged

Note that G36 mags are 50% wider than AR mags. That's because that's how thick they need to be to last, and those mags won't come close to fitting in an AR mag well.

-Troy

The thickness problem could be solved by making the mags LONGER. I'll still stick with the USGI mags, though.

huh? please elaborate
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:08:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lockedon:

huh? please elaborate

Thicker walls & single stack.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:38:18 AM EST
No matter how you designed the mag (aluminum mag & clear insert), you'd still need a modified mag well to be able to see it when it counted.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:59:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By Darkest2000:

Originally Posted By gribble:

It would make the manufacturing process much more complicated, and increase the cost to the point where it's not economical.

Really? Like those former East German & Russian 'bakelite' mags formed around metal feed lips??!!

Witness holes allow other things in the mag.

Semi transparent mags aren't a substitute for a clear weapon, that is not the intended purpose. But, if you were to get into an extended firefight (4+ mags) the heat of the action it catches up and it would be NICE to look down and see just how many rounds are left. This could be done by dropping the mag and inserting a fresh one, then deciding on whether or not to retain the current mag... It is nice to make decisions easier with the adrenaline pumping.

I don't think this is meant for typical range use. But, then again...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:08:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/29/2004 7:23:31 AM EST by lu380]

Originally Posted By Lockedon:

-Troy

huh? please elaborate

It could be made so that the rounds in the mag are staggered in a skinnier column. Not quite single stack, not quite double stack. It would probably have to be about an inch longer to accomplish this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:29:35 AM EST
ahh ok....makes sense thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:37:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By DoorKicker:
two or three tracers at the end is/was a common military practice.....

Mostly "was" by now, because it's a great way to tell a savvy Hajji that you're almost empty.
Top Top