Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 6:55:21 AM EDT
I'm so glad I found this website.  It has been very educational so far.  Some of the custom builds I've seen are gorgeous.  My brother-in-law and I are doing research before attempting to build our first rifles.  I was hoping to get some feedback from other builders out there.  Since I don't have a lot of money to buy an assembled rifle to modify, I figured I could accumulate parts and build a rifle up over time (say, a year or less).  I live in Oklahoma.

I guess some of the big questions I have are:

1.  How has the expiration of the assault weapons ban affected how I can build a rifle?  Example: Do I still need to purchase a "pre ban" lower reciever to have a bayonet lug, etc.?
2.  What part/accessory brands should I consider and stay away from?
3.  As far as reliability goes, is a short or long (I think I've even seen medium) gas system preferable?
4.  I've seen so many match bolt/carriers, free floating handguard/rail systems, barrels, etc.  What kind of performance "hot rod" parts should I consider to make a reliable, accurate, and cool looking rifle?

I appreciate any feedback.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
1.  The AWB is over, you are free to buy and built what you want without worrying about the former restrictions.  Keep the barrel over 16" and you shoudl be fine with whatever you build.

2.  Not enough info to give an answer, you haven't said what you are looking to build.

3.  Rifles tend to be more reliable than carbines, but none of my carbines have ever had any issues, add in that the US Army seems to have no problems, and I think you are good to go.

4.  Much of the stuf out there is hype, but refer back to #2.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are looking for an inexpensive lower receiver try Title II. They have Stag Arms lowers for $87 Shipped to your FFL (Dealer).  If you find another buddy to go in with you and your bro-in-law you can get 3 lowers for $82ea.

You will have to have the lower shipped to a gun dealer, he will have to send an Ink Signed copy of his FFL license to Title II. There is usually a FFL transfer fee from your local dealer for this service, mine charges $12 but is varies so shop around.  You can also ask Title II if he has any FFL's in your area already on file this would speed things up.  This step is necessary because you have to fill out the background (NICS) check.  I think you will include a money order or check to Title II with your ink signed copy of your FFL's license thus you woun't have to pay sales tax (out of state sale).  This is not always the case so check with Title II.

Edit: also take a look at Eagle Firearms.net for lower parts kits, collapsing stocks, and and other good quality parts.   Also look for parts on the AR15.com EE for other good deals.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, that Eagle Firearms website is awesome!  I'll be checking out the EE as well.  Thank you Daubs.  Also, thanks to Stickman for the heads up on the 16" barrel limitation.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top