Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2005 3:49:24 PM EDT
Hey all, I have the following PRI front sight/gas black arriving on monday.

I recently had my barrel sent to adco for flash supressor cut/rethread/A2 sight removal.

Below is the picture of the barrel:

I purchased the 'screw' type front sight, and was told you will need to make 'notches' in the barrel for the sight to mount securely.

Will these notches be sufficient?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#2]
those might might not line up but if they do they will work fine.

usually there are flats put where the setscrews will seat on and adco offers that work but what you have will be fine. just need something for the setscrew to set in
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
those might might not line up but if they do they will work fine.

usually there are flats put where the setscrews will seat on and adco offers that work but what you have will be fine. just need something for the setscrew to set in

If for some reason they do not line up, what are my options? Make the nothces by hand, with what though?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
There are 3 different kinds of PRI screws, and Mongo has a good photo showing how they work.  

If you have the discontinued one that really does need notches, those you made will not do.   You have to make a groove all the way across, like a hole that was drilled half way in the barrel and half way out if that makes sense.  The screw goes all the way across, through the groove and into the other side.  Its really a hassle, as many end up not flat and cause the sight to be canted.   If you have that model, I'd sell it and get the crossbolt style which has screws that go completely under the barrel without touching it.  

If you have the four set-screw style, your notches may work, but those have even a tougher time of keeping the sight straight up while tightening, but eventually with patience you should get it straight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There are 3 different kinds of PRI screws, and Mongo has a good photo showing how they work.  

If you have the discontinued one that really does need notches, those you made will not do.   You have to make a groove all the way across, like a hole that was drilled half way in the barrel and half way out if that makes sense.  The screw goes all the way across, through the groove and into the other side.  Its really a hassle, as many end up not flat and cause the sight to be canted.   If you have that model, I'd sell it and get the crossbolt style which has screws that go completely under the barrel without touching it.  

If you have the four set-screw style, your notches may work, but those have even a tougher time of keeping the sight straight up while tightening, but eventually with patience you should get it straight.

John ? You know which model I have?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top