Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/24/2005 6:19:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 7:02:23 PM EDT by BF24]
I'm building my first AR, a 24" varmint. I've been looking into sights and scopes and trying to make a decision. I have a Weaver K3 scope off an old hunting rifle which is in great shape, and which I think would suffice for 100-yard shooting which is probably what I'll be doing most, other than when I'm out in enough space to shoot further.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. If I keep the Weaver I'll be looking for rings, and am not sure what to look for. I'd also like to pick out a good set of iron sights which don't break the bank.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:31:32 PM EDT
Post your question in the optics section, and you will get better results.

I would use what I had, but then again, I would never build a 24" for 100 yard shooting (or any other shooting for that matter).
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:39:23 PM EDT
thanks. Actually I wanted to also ask at what range a varmint upper starts to become an advantage over a regular barrel. Can you shoot the same groups with either inside 200 yards? I'm still on the fence about the exact upper configuration and every time I read a little more I just start seeing myself building more than one gun... at least for now I;d like to think this will be the only one for a while
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:42:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 6:42:41 PM EDT by Stickman]

Originally Posted By BF24:
thanks. Actually I wanted to also ask at what range a varmint upper starts to become an advantage over a regular barrel. Can you shoot the same groups with either inside 200 yards?

Yes, the extra 4 inches of barrel gives you extra weight, bulk, aggravation (IMHO), and a little more velocity. However, it is not more accurate. If you were to see differences between the barrels, I would think it would be out much much farther. 200 yards isn't even close. The actual differences become more apparent depending on what ammo/ bullet weight you are using, but again, its well beyond 200 yards.
Top Top