Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 6:36:15 AM EDT
Well, looking at the cost for components to build an SPR, I doubt I will pursue this project.  I am bummed.

So next best thing is a 20" with either M5 RAS or free float full length RAS e/w a Harris bipod.  I am not looking to build a super precision rifle for unpractical distances in the area I live, just something that will reach out consistently farther than my carbines.

I would like to get a flip up front sight that will not interfere with my optics. I already have a TA-11, TA-31, and TA01NSN I can throw on this.  I do not plan on buying new optics, am going to use "off the shelf" items.

The two choices I like are GGG and PRI for front sights.  M5 RAS of full length FF RAS for the front end.

So I'd like to hear from fellow AR-15 travellers who have had experience installing and using either one.  What are the pros and cons?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Go for the FFRAS. Freefloating is one of the best ways to improve accuracy in an AR. The FFRAS is very robust, and won't "shift" like the M5 RAS will. That, and the price difference isn't very much anymore. Also, just my personal preference, you may want to check into the Daniel Defense forend, as they're a bit lighter-weight, but just as robust,

And as far as front sights... Both are great units, but I prefer the PRI. Nothing more than preference really, I just like the looks.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure I understand this "shift" comment on the M5 RAS. I have one and it hasn't "shifted" yet. It has a locking mechanism that locks the RAS upper piece to the Barrel Nut.

Please explain.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
After tons of use/abuse, the M5 MAY become loose enough to shift. I admit, it's an ultra-small chance indeed, but it did happen to me before. That's not saying that the system was at fault, as it was being put thru immense amounts of usage, and more than enough neglect. That, and by the time mine starting shifting (it just developed a little play to the left and right) it was wore slap out.

Sorry about that, I should have been more specific in my original post.

-Cap'n
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top