Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 2:07:08 PM EST
Is this called a socom barrel It has 2 cuts under the hand guards and is not narrowed down like the regular m4 barrel . Its 14.5 inch is it as good as the regular m4 barrel or should i trade for an M4 ighter barrel
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:28:38 PM EST
I have the 16" version of Colt's SOCOM barrel, as well as a safe chock full of conventional M4 barrels. There is nothing at all wrong with the SOCOM, aside from a bit more weight. I say keep it if the weight doesn't bother you

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:03:40 PM EST
I have a SOCOM build. I like to call it my M4A1 mo0del for kicks.
A board member told me it is 4 oz. heavier. I think it is a better barrel than the regular one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:48:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By mogdude:
Is this called a socom barrel It has 2 cuts under the hand guards and is not narrowed down like the regular m4 barrel . Its 14.5 inch is it as good as the regular m4 barrel or should i trade for an M4 ighter barrel

if you want to sell it let me know
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:52:09 AM EST
I have 2 M4 uppers.. one is heavy (M4A1) and one is lighter under the handguard (M4) .. I much prefer the latter...

I rearely shoot full auto, and I dont see the plus of the extra weight added..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:32:27 AM EST
The Barrel could help with a faster second shot

I ran a A1 Bushmaster 14.7 hbar for several years

I do like a lite barrel on a SHTF AR

I never have liked the M4 barrel at all

I just couldnt find a 14.5 1/7 twist LW barrel at the time

So I bought 2 LMT M4 14.5

I would just keep what you got
try it at the range and see if it really matters

its all about YOU
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:18:34 AM EST
The standard M4 profile is light, and will hold up fine to pretty heavy use.

The SOCOM M4A1 profile is a little bit heavier, and takes heat better. If you do much high volume shooting, it will be a bit more consistent with its groups.

Yes, I have both, like both, and can notice the weight difference.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:51:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 5:54:57 AM EST by PUBBOY]
SOCOMS are heavy. If you can, you should pick up rifles with those configs, side by side to compare them. It's quite a noticeable difference in handling.

I'd keep the lite one, if I were you.

IMHO the M4 is just about perfect, and making good follow-up shots is a function of marksmanship and not bbl weight.

The only thing I prefer more is a government profile mid-length bbl. If you can find one of those for trade, I'd do it.
Top Top