Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/2/2006 11:36:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 11:48:48 PM EDT by Rekced]
I'm a newbie and I recently bought my first Bushmaster AR-15 w/ an A1 upper. I love it. I would like your advice on which sights I should get.

I'm not really looking for any magnification at this point, just a red dot. I am mostly focused on close quarters, possibly distances up to 75-100 yards. My vision is 20/10, so I'm willing to practice to become effective at that range with no magnification. I don't know if they make them with adjustable dot sizes, but that would be awesome for that purpose.

I'm adamant about finding something that will allow me to pick up the rifle and have my sights aligned in a very short amount of time. It would be cool to find something I can build my skill on and developing my speed. I'm not one who just wants to group holes in paper at long distances. . With all of your knowledge and experience, It would help to know what products you guys favor.

Price is not a primary concern. Maybe less than $250. I have no idea how much any of this stuff costs.

I found this picture interesting. I have NO idea what he's using.

http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/shoots/uzitalk2005/M16%209mm%203lug.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Rekced

Btw- If you don't like that I'm a newbie and my questions annoy you, just DON'T reply. It's not that hard.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:48:20 PM EDT
looks like a trijicon reflex sight on the top of the page there is a link to their websight they are an ARFCOM sponser if I am not mistaken.

]www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=8

also look to eotech, aimpoint, meprolight, look in the optics discussion area.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:56:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By john575:
looks like a trijicon reflex sight on the top of the page there is a link to their websight they are an ARFCOM sponser if I am not mistaken.

h,

Whoa, that Trijicon Reflex is kind of expensive. I'll bet it's worth it though. Any suggestions for something of similar quality/fuction for a little bit lower price?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:59:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rekced:
Whoa, that Trijicon Reflex is kind of expensive. I'll bet it's worth it though. Any suggestions for something of similar quality/fuction for a little bit lower price?

Welcome to the world of optics. You can get cheap knock offs, but you'll pay with performance and reliability. Stick with Aimpoint or Eotech.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:00:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 12:35:20 AM EDT by Rekced]

Originally Posted By Rakky:

Welcome to the world of optics. You can get cheap knock offs, but you'll pay with performance and reliability. Stick with Aimpoint or Eotech.

I don't want cheap knock offs.. I do like good a value though. If it takes $500 to get something nice, that's what I will pay.

I found the EOTech 510 online for $339.99. The picture I found on here looks awesome.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:07:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 12:34:43 AM EDT by Rekced]
Hmm. This looks like a nice cost-effective configuration. I also like the idea of being able to ditch the optics and use open sights if I needed to.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:26:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 6:31:19 AM EDT by boltcatch]
Both the EOTech and Aimpoint will allow you to mount them so that you can use the irons through them, too. You can also have them in quick-detatch mounts, at least when used on flat tops or free float rails.

You really do get what you pay for. The sticker shock on any good optic will be pretty harsh, even when you know what you're getting for that money - which is quite a lot.

I put down $500 on an EOTech 552 with a LaRue mount. It was my first foray into optics for my AR's, but I've had plenty of experience with cheapo optics in the past for air rifles and .22's. Cheap optics really don't have any place on anything but cheap guns; if you can't afford good optics, then you're better off saving your money and using your irons. Otherwise you'll just buy an endless series of shitty, unsatisfying optics until one day you realize that you could have bought a couple of Aimpoints for that money.

Both the EOTech and the mount were worth it; with the EOTech I can shoot very accurately very fast. The mount allows me to add/remove the sight with repeat zero, raises it a bit so that the irons are out of the way in the bottom of the EOTech window until I want to use them, and moves the sight foreward which most people feel works better as well as giving you more room on the rail behind it. I had an ACOG arrive yesterday, so it would apppear I have a terminal case of black-rifle-optic disease.

Carry handle uppers aren't really ideal for optics - you'll probably want to get another upper, a flat top, at some point so that you can leave your A1 upper nice and clean. However, you can put stuff on it. I would recommend that you get a chance to look through both an Aimpoint and an EOTech, decide which one you like best, and then put it on a gooseneck carry handle mount. That mount will cantilever the sight out over the handguards and allow you to use your irons while looking through the optics; it works just like that first picture you posted (though that mount is specific to the Trijocn Reflex shown there).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:49:40 AM EDT

Hmm. This looks like a nice cost-effective configuration. I also like the idea of being able to ditch the optics and use open sights if I needed to.

www.special-warfare.net/data_base/207_accessories/shight_01/trijicon_reflex_ta01_nsn_04.jpg

www.special-warfare.net/data_base/207_accessories/shight_01/trijicon_reflex_ta01_nsn_05.jpg

Just keep in mind that in order to install the optic on the handguard rail like you see in the picture, you will need a freefloat hadguard system or else you won't be able to maintain your zero. Mounts like these will work.

this one is for the carry handle.

This one might be what you need. They are both made by ARMS.

There are other companies that make these types of mounts, but these are very good.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:08:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 7:09:34 AM EDT by Forest]

Hmm. This looks like a nice cost-effective configuration.

LOL.

Yeah you not only have the optic & mount aaaand you have to go out and buy a RAS too, then lets not forget a VFG or at a minimum rail covers.

More like an effective way to spend money...

I also like the idea of being able to ditch the optics and use open sights if I needed to.

Any decent optic system will let you do that, it's also the reason why Flattops and LaRue mounts are preffered:

EOTech 552 on a Flattop using a LaRue Mount:

Compact ACOG on a flattop using a LaRue Mount:

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:15:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 3:53:54 PM EDT by shadowcop]
I don't use a mount on my flat top. Got my Eotech 511 mounted direct and it co witnesses perfectly with my buis.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:35:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shadowcop:
I don't use a mount on my flat top. Got my Eotech 551 mounted direct and it co witnesses perfectly with my buis.

Bullshit, what type of set up do you run? I've yet to see an eo tech mounted direct to the flattop that actually cowitnessed. The Retical was alwas "on" the FSB.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:18:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By photoman:

Originally Posted By shadowcop:
I don't use a mount on my flat top. Got my Eotech 551 mounted direct and it co witnesses perfectly with my buis.

Bullshit, what type of set up do you run? I've yet to see an eo tech mounted direct to the flattop that actually cowitnessed. The Retical was alwas "on" the FSB.

WTF?!?!?!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:00:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 4:03:48 PM EDT by shadowcop]
Bushmaster flat top with ARMS 40 and Eotech 511. 1moa dot sits right on top of the front sight post. 14.5" barrel. When I flip up the rear sight, have the Eotech on, and line up front and rear, the fucking dot sits on the sight post. That may not be your idea of co witnessing but it's mine and works well for me.
Top Top