Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 6:12:11 PM EDT
Looking into the tools necessary to re-barrel my AR-15.

Is it true that the two basic options are:
1) hold the upper with an action block, and twist the barrel nut with a combo wrench
2) hold the barrel with barrel vise jaws, and twist the barrel nut with a combo wrench

What are the pros and cons to using the barrel vise jaws versus the action block?

Thanks for any advice.

SK
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Please see this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=184086

Get the action block for replacing a barrel.  You can use barrel vise blocks.... but you risk scarring the barrel badly, and you put all the tension on the little barrel indexing pin in the barrel extension if you dont use the action block.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got my Colt armorers manual today and it shows the vise jaws beeing used on the barrel.to change the barrel. The vise jaws only cost $15, so thats how I'm going to do mine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top