Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 6:23:51 PM EDT
Hey guys, ive been a lurker for awhile but decided to sign up to get some feedback on my dilema.

I was wondering which way I should go with my first 556 AR purchase.

At first I was looking at a custom build with the following major parts:

16" WOA stainless match barrel
Young MFG chrome match BCG
Larue 11" Tactical Handguard
Vltor MUR upper receiver
BCM lower receiver
Geissele SSA 2 stage trigger
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MOE grip

Then I came across the Larue OBR and PredatAR
http://larueosr.com/lt556-16.aspx
http://larueosr.com/ltp556-16.aspx

I did the calculations and Im pretty sure that when it's all said and done the custom parts that I was going to get would end up pretty close to the price of the Larue OBR. The PredatAR would be a few hundred cheaper. I just have no idea on how the guts of the Larue's are (BCG, Barrel, etc), but I know they have a good name.

So my question is...which would you guys think would be the better way to go quality wise? Money isn't the issue at the moment and I just want a quality platform. I know I still have to choose optics and Im looking into that at the moment. Any feedback or advice is appreciated. thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:55:40 PM EDT
The quality of your build will depend a lot on the quality of the assembly of the upper. The LaRue gives a lot for the money. For $1500 the Predatar is a big value for everything it includes, I struggle to come up with a better value right now and the wait time for them shows that. But if you know exactly what you want get it or you will always wish you had. Also the LaRue will have a better resale value of that matters to you at all.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2011 7:07:49 PM EDT by itsnashhh]
Originally Posted By boomhower1820:
The quality of your build will depend a lot on the quality of the assembly of the upper. The LaRue gives a lot for the money. For $1500 the Predatar is a big value for everything it includes, I struggle to come up with a better value right now and the wait time for them shows that. But if you know exactly what you want get it or you will always wish you had. Also the LaRue will have a better resale value of that matters to you at all.

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't aware that the Larues had a wait time. the site lists them as available to add to cart....but since we're on the topic, how long is the general wait time for the PredatAR or OBR 16" 556 models?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:40:34 PM EDT
Building your AR certainly adds a big plus to your AR experience, that being said, LaRue makes an expectional product that you won't regret purchasing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:29:27 PM EDT
If you've never laid hands on a LaRue upper and lower, you miss how absolutely fucking gorgeous and integrated they are - notice the seam lines and the cut outs. Only the Seekins lower is comparable (IMHO). Add to that the quality aftermarket parts and the LaRue-if-you-don't-like-it-I'll-replace-it way of doing business, I'd go LaRue (And I did ... SBR in transfer).

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:13:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2011 4:14:15 AM EDT by new-arguy]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:17:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By new-arguy:
The LaRue PredatAR is awesome. Really. Get it. The quality of his parts is phenominal. I have an older Stealth SBR that I really enjoy, I don't have a PredatAR yet, but the one's I have seen and shot have been great.

You'd take the PredatAR over the OBR? any reason why besides the lower price?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:02:07 AM EDT
Get the complete LaRue. The few weeks weight will be worth it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:33:05 AM EDT
Go LaRue.

They take amazing care of their customers and make a high quality product.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:41:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By itsnashhh:
Originally Posted By boomhower1820:

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't aware that the Larues had a wait time. the site lists them as available to add to cart....but since we're on the topic, how long is the general wait time for the PredatAR or OBR 16" 556 models?

I was going to order a 16" PredatAR last week, I had emailed LT and they told me 10 weeks. I then went to LT's page here on ARFCOM and asked, I was told a realistic time is 14-16 weeks. I just decided to build another myself.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:43:28 AM EDT
I would agree, If you want to be hands on... go ahead and build... BUT if you want a great quality gun, its pretty hard to beat a Larue. I would say go LARUE!
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:50:34 AM EDT
I own a stealth 16 inch, but I really feel tha PredatAR is the best deal going right now on a top AR. Downside is, I have a friend who is looking at week 12 right now on his PredatAR.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:51:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By itsnashhh:
Originally Posted By new-arguy:
The LaRue PredatAR is awesome. Really. Get it. The quality of his parts is phenominal. I have an older Stealth SBR that I really enjoy, I don't have a PredatAR yet, but the one's I have seen and shot have been great.

You'd take the PredatAR over the OBR? any reason why besides the lower price?

I second the vote for the PredatAR. My reasoning over the OBR is the PredatAR is much lighter, cheaper, and built right....just like the OBR. I don't have first-hand experience, but when you are talking about a top tier AR (either of those two) I don't see the purpose in having the extra weight and heavier barrel. Unless your a seriously great competitive shooter both of those guns will probably shoot better than you. I like my AR's light, and that PredatAR is plenty of gun. I guess what I'm saying is I personally wouldn't be able to wring out the extra performance that the more expensive OBR "might" offer. And I apologize for answering a question that you asked another poster. I am anxious to see what his reasons are as well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:35:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2011 6:37:06 AM EDT by itsnashhh]
wow all awesome input so far... however, that 12+ week waiting period is kind of turning me off a bit.

Im a pretty impatient person especially when it comes to something I really want hehe. if It were a 4 week wait, i'd already have pressed the add to cart button and checked out...

@ foursixty, i totally see your point. Im no expert shooter so you're probably right that either model would probably be the same for me starting out. In fact just getting started in this hobby and wanted to start off on the right foot with something that will last and perform.
Top Top