Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2005 4:57:55 PM EDT
All things being equal, what advantage does the mid-length gas system have over the standard 16" gas system? The only thing I see (not an advantage) is that it would be heavier.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]

It also has a slightly longer sight radius, which might help accurate shooting with irons a smidge.

Plus, if you are one of those people that care, it allows you to properly mount a bayonet on a 16" rifle.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The only thing I see (not an advantage) is that it would be heavier.

If you're comparing equal length bbls, the gas system has absolutely no effect on the bbl's weight.

Out of curiousity, why do you think a mid-length gas system is heavier?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Smoother operation is a big plus.  A middie gets its gas from farther down the barrel, so the pressure impulse is smoother and less violent, the timing of the operation is less abrupt, and overall easier on both rifle and shooter.  Further, with the less violent action, your buffer, buffer spring, and bolt carrier (maybe) could last longer.  And don't forget the percieved recoil; the more violent the action, the harsher the recoil feels.

Oh, and the longer sight radius can't hurt, either.  

Yes, I'm a middie owner.  Does it show?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Got one and love it. Recoil is less. I think it looks better and feels more balanced. Just my opinion!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only thing I see (not an advantage) is that it would be heavier.

If you're comparing equal length bbls, the gas system has absolutely no effect on the bbl's weight.

Out of curiosity, why do you think a mid-length gas system is heavier?

I think it is heavier because of the extra material used to extend the hand guards and gas block. And any rail system for a mid-length is gong to be heavier than a carbine length system.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
In addition to the smoother cycling, (sight radius doesnt matter to me - the irons are backups), I like the longer rail systems that can be mounted.

The standard M4 handguard is too cramped when using lights and VFG for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Armalite Technical Article On Barrel Design

I have a LW profile midlength from ADCO and I really like it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Please stay in the other thread
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top