Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/30/2005 11:58:00 PM EDT
I recently got a surefire railed foreend and I thought about trying to mount my EOtech forward like a scout sight. I have heard thsi makes target accusition faster? how true is this. What do you guys think. Rightnow its on the upper reciever.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:04:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 1:11:50 AM EDT by Not_A_Llama]
Forward.. as in on the handguard itself? The surefire handguards have a lower top rail (as you've undoubtedly noticed), which could cause issues with co-witness. Depends on your BUIS setup and window restriction prefs, though.

I don't really feel there's a speed advantage to mounting out front. I think it's largely perceptive; even though the EOTech is almost parallax-free, people tend to center the reticle in the window before taking a shot. With the sight closer to the shooter, you'll be able to perceive more space around the reticle, and work towards centering it. Compare with having it farther out on the rail, where the apparent size of the reticle increases, with a "smaller" window; there's less space to center, and you're more likely to be inside of the "acceptable" zone.

The bigger issue to me is that mounting it that far out (esp. with the AA models) tends to throw the rifle's balance off, and increases the moment of inertia, which hurts the handiness/swingability of your rifle. Operator preference there.

I personally mount my sight such that slot T5 is exposed in back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:20:18 AM EDT
Advantages: Somewhat faster sight acquisition.

Disadvantages: More weight hung on the rails.

I tried it, didn't like it. I have moved it back as far as I can to a notch just in front of the rear BUIS. The EoTech has a fast, heads up display that works just fine in the natural sight plane, at least for me.

YMMV

Rick
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:06:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rick_Lind:
Advantages: Somewhat faster sight acquisition.

Disadvantages: More weight hung on the rails.

I tried it, didn't like it. I have moved it back as far as I can to a notch just in front of the rear BUIS. The EoTech has a fast, heads up display that works just fine in the natural sight plane, at least for me.

YMMV

Rick

+1

There is no real advantage of putting it that far forward. That leans toward more personal preference. Try it and if your shooting improves then use it. Again YMMV.

Max
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:17:52 AM EDT
Actually, there are reasons for mounting an optic further forward, the main reason being peripheral vision. It allows for easier 2 eyes open shooting both in target aquisition speed and for judging distance and speed on moving targets. The shooter is less prone to tunnel vision and target fixation, two problems that become more obvious the closer the optic gets to the shooter and the reason why open sights were/are preferred for close range work (Until the invention of the modern red dot).

This was the thinking behind "Scout" Rifles: Rifles intended for mid-range distances and moving targets. Of course, this is NOT recommended for magnified scopes unless they have a generous amount of eye relief (Like pistol scopes).
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:18:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 11:13:58 AM EDT by C4iGrant]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:43:11 AM EDT
+1 for Grant,short and to the point.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:08:44 AM EDT
Thanks guys I will leave the scope where it is. Just needed some advice and got it thanks again.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:58:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 11:02:17 AM EDT by Dragonfly228]
Mounting the eotech on forward on the handgurads is NOT as advantageous as having it close. In fact almost defeats the purpose of the eotech system.

The reticle is the same size wether it is right up against your face, or 8" away. So if you have it mounted way forward, the reticle will appear to fill up the entire window of the eo-tech. This will force you to have to sight down the gun. If it is closer to your face, the reticle can be seen anywhere in the window (not just dead center), so as long as you are looking through any part of it, you will see it come up (regardless if you have a perfect cheek weld or not). This works for the eotech because the site is parallax free. In otherwords, as long as you see the reticle (anywhere in the window), that's where your gun is aiming. So it is to your advantage to have as much of the window in your sight picture as possible and let the optic to the sight aligning for you.

Try this right now, make a ring with your index finger finger and thumb. Hold it out at arms length and sight in on various objects in the room. Note how you have to "hunt" with your site to see the targets. Now do it again, but with your site against your face (with the "window" covering your full view. Note how you can see your targets by just looking at them. This is like holding out your glasses 8" away from your face, or just wearing them for a near panoramic view.
Top Top