Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2015 2:30:27 PM EDT
So I see there are a ton of them out there, and in most cases I would say I didn't need it, but since the LaRue 12.0" barrels have rediculously big gas holes, and I want to shoot suppressed... I figure I might as well get an adjustable now instead fo figuring out I definitely needed one down the road.

So here is my question: Are they all set screw style adjusted? Or are there kinds that you can flip a switch between suppressed and suppressed?

Right now I'm looking at the SLR-7 that has the set screws spaced for the LaRue barrel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some out there that are set screw adjusted (Seekins) and others that are ball and detent (SLR and Syrac).

The ball and detent make it easier to set and "reset" from suppressed to non suppressed. There are others out there at slide (I forget the company) but basically have 3 different size holes.

The other alternative is to get an adjustable gas block, get it working for unsuppressed fire and then go with that Gemtech BCG which allows you to flip from suppressed to unsuppressed.

Or you could wait for the 2A Armament BCG like I'm doing. It'll be adjustable through the ejection port door.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, so once I adjust the SLR gas block and then turn that adjustment on/off? Or do I have to readjust everytime with the set screw? I thought my $70 gas blocks were a lot.. the SLR I'm looking at is $120!!! Do they ever do sales or have coupons?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
About the closest thing to a "flip a switch" gas block is the GovNah by MicroMOA.  They aren't the cheapest but they are the Cadillac of gas blcoks if you ask me.  I have their style on a couple of my 10.3 inch SBR's, a 5.56 and a 300BLK.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are some out there that are set screw adjusted (Seekins) and others that are ball and detent (SLR and Syrac).

The ball and detent make it easier to set and "reset" from suppressed to non suppressed. There are others out there at slide (I forget the company) but basically have 3 different size holes.

The other alternative is to get an adjustable gas block, get it working for unsuppressed fire and then go with that Gemtech BCG which allows you to flip from suppressed to unsuppressed.

Or you could wait for the 2A Armament BCG like I'm doing. It'll be adjustable through the ejection port door.
View Quote

govnah by MicroUSA
(I've never heard a single person complain about them)
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
About the closest thing to a "flip a switch" gas block is the GovNah by MicroMOA.  They aren't the cheapest but they are the Cadillac of gas blcoks if you ask me.  I have their style on a couple of my 10.3 inch SBR's, a 5.56 and a 300BLK.
View Quote

The Govnah is fantastic. 10/10 would buy again.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

govnah by MicroUSA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

govnah by MicroUSA

That sounds interesting... BUT the next question would be.. will it line up with the LaRue dimples.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Govnah by Micro MOA is what you seek. Depending on the rail you'll be using, you can use 2 or 3 slot plates where you can have the option of different size gas holes. I run a 2 position on one of my suppressed SBRs and it's suppressed and unsuppressed.

3 Position would be for suppressed, unsuppressed, and adverse conditions.

HOWEVER, it won't match up with the Larue barrel perfectly. The rear most screw I think matches up, and the others are slightly off.

If you don't go with the Micro MOA block, Noveske Switch Block, or somehow magically source a PST from Larue, then you're stuck with a detent or set screw block where it can only have 1 setting at a time. Now with a detent block, if you carry around a wrench for it and memorize the click settings, you can just go back and forth. But do you really WANT to do that? Personally I don't.

You'll be spending a lot for a gas block if you want one with multiple settings, but that's the nature of the beast. Gotta pay to keep things easy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't see an issue with the SLR offerings. They work very well and have not frozen due to carbon in over 2k rounds. They sell a small tool to aid in adjusting it from under a rail which makes thing somewhat less difficult when switching back between settings.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my SLR7! I turn it down for plinking so it is unbelievably soft shooting. Then when it is hd mode I open it up some for reliability. Easy to count click settings. Easy to adjust in seconds using a long hex driver. It is supposed to be super easy to open and clean if ever needed.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I would look at the Syrac Gen 2. It works great for me.  I had an SLR gas block with the leaf spring on the side.  I went shooting when it was right around freezing one morning.  I adjusted the gas a click and the leaf spring broke at the allen screw that holds it in place.  Not sure why this happened but I assume it was because it was cold out.  They were kind enough to send me a new one, but I now use the Syrac instead.  I don't trust that little leaf spring; it is a weak point in my opinion.  But that's just my experience.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Gemtech has a BCG with a rotating switch built in.  They are pricey and I think they have just started shipping.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gemtech has a BCG with a rotating switch built in.  They are pricey and I think they have just started shipping.
View Quote

Not really looking into a BCG. I'm trying to keep the 12" as LaRue as possible. Already have a LaRue BCG to go with it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Ok, so once I adjust the SLR gas block and then turn that adjustment on/off? Or do I have to readjust everytime with the set screw? I thought my $70 gas blocks were a lot.. the SLR I'm looking at is $120!!! Do they ever do sales or have coupons?
View Quote

I got time, so here goes:

The ar15 is inheirently overgassed. You wont notice if you shoot .223 inly or not suppressed. With a can on and shooting 5.56 you notice it. I have ran lpgb and they suck with a can and an m4 stock. You play with buffers, excessive bolt speeds, overpressure, gas redirection, etc.

With an adj lpgb or regular adg gb u control the gas. Slr has like 15 positions. 1 is GAS OFF. will not cycle. 15 is FULL GAS as a normal GB would flow. I run an slr lpgb at pos 6-7 unsuppressed and maybe 5-6 suppressed. You adjust for your ammo and cycling. I run 5.56. I have never had to open the setting more than 7. So im basically less than HALF normal gas to be perfect and have a beautiful 4:30 ejection pattern. With that can a can on i see 2-3 o clock. Turn it down a click and back to 4ish o clock. Thats the beauty of a lpgb. Also, bolt speed is down to acceptable levels. Your upper will no longer be grooved from the cam pin going too fast. Everything is worn less and stressed less. Its a win win win.

I had issues with SLR and in the end i had to go in and hot forge the Ti spring to increase tension as mine came loose. Setscrews needed red loctited as well. Came loose on me at the range. Its all better now. I pretty much trust it now :)

You may have tons or no issues. Only way is to try! Slr is prolly the best design. I went with gen 2 as gen 3 setscrew on the side hit my rail

Good luck and if you need pics i can show ya details.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Inifinte.....

I have been researching the same thing for months now.  I am not really looking for a block that switches easily from suppressed to unsuppressed, because I don't shoot my rifles without the suppressors.  I just don't enjoy it, so that is not a driving force behind my decision.  It may be for some so I am including this in my assessment.  So far I have dragging my feet at the cost of the "better" lo-pro adjustable blocks.  I am looking to upgrade 3 or 4 rifles with adjustable gas blocks so price is a factor for sure.  While others may have personal preferences, this is my current thinking for the way I want to run my guns.  For all my research it comes down to the following 3 in no particular order....

1 - Micro MOA Govnah -
Pro - The easiest to switch between suppressed, unsuppressed or even to "OFF" if you want that option with the 3 position plate.  
Con - The price is roughly $150.    
Con - There are a few rails that they are not directly compatible with unless you severely "MOD" the rail.  (Larue, Samson, and a few Daniel Defense)
Con - Side access can be limited by your rail components.  
Con - Limited adjustability when compared to the others.  If you switch ammo, or barrel length you will likely need a different plate to be tuned.  

2 - SLR Rifleworks
Pro - Easy access front side adjustment screw
Pro - Excellent design with flat detent spring.  
Pro - Positive "click" adjust with repeatable results
Pro - Available in Titanium for the ultimate light weight build
Con - Need to keep an allen key around for switching between suppressed and unsuppressed
Con - Price is $119
Con - Titanium is $179

3 - Syrac
Pro - They did away with the "plunger" on the Gen II units so it is now a single hand simple adjustment
Pro - $96 street price is still kinda high, but its the cheapest of the ones I am contemplating
Con - Need to keep an allen key around for switching between suppressed and unsuppressed

After typing all this out.....I just ordered 2 of the Syrac Gen II blocks from Midway.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Inifinte.....

1 - Micro MOA Govnah -
Pro - The easiest to switch between suppressed, unsuppressed or even to "OFF" if you want that option with the 3 position plate.  
Con - There are a few rails that they are not directly compatible with unless you severely "MOD" the rail.  (Larue, Samson, and a few Daniel Defense)
Con - Limited adjustability when compared to the others.  If you switch ammo, or barrel length you will likely need a different plate to be tuned.  

View Quote

Thank you gor that, didn't realize the Govnah wont fit a LaRue rail. The 12" barrel is getting a LaRue rail, and I dont feel like hacking away at new things.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
that govnah is useless under a rail system. never understtod it...and you gotta order more plates if yours dont work correctly......nope.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
that govnah is useless under a rail system. never understtod it...and you gotta order more plates if yours dont work correctly......nope.
View Quote

Yeah you are correct.

A switch isn't a needed thing. In reality the 12" just has a massive gas port and a simple set screw gas block should be fine to dial the gas back to normal levels. The next problem is finding one that will engage more then 1 set screw, since the LaRue barrels have 3 set screws @ .450" spacing. And for the roll I need a $120 gas block isn't exactly required, but its the only one that matches the LT set screw pattern.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A switch isn't a needed thing. In reality the 12" just has a massive gas port and a simple set screw gas block should be fine to dial the gas back to normal levels. The next problem is finding one that will engage more then 1 set screw, since the LaRue barrels have 3 set screws @ .450" spacing. And for the roll I need a $120 gas block isn't exactly required, but its the only one that matches the LT set screw pattern.
View Quote

Yea the SLR is the only one with the .450" spacing.  I only trust the set screws to hold it long enough for the "pinning" process.  I bought the Ranier Arms gas block pinning jig years ago.  I drill and pin them all now.....just an added bit of insurance for peace of mind.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That sounds interesting... BUT the next question would be.. will it line up with the LaRue dimples.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
govnah by MicroUSA

It doesn't matter, the set screws have a cutting edge on them that cuts into the barrel when they are torqued down properly.  They don't necessarily have to line up.

I actually have the syrac gen2 low profile (it was one of the few that would fit under my DD Xlite hand guard.
I like it and wouldn't hesitate to get another.  But the adjustments aren't an "in the field" option,
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sorry but I have to call BS here. Have you actually looked into or used the Govnah at all?

How is it useless under a rail? I know I make changes to mine without a problem and without removing the rail. Not only that but it's designed so you can easily slide the plate in either direction with quite a few rails on the market. Are there a few it may not work with? Of course, but there are plenty it is fine with. I run mine under a BCM KMR.

Not only that, but if your holes on your plate are too small, you can just open them up with a drill bit. That's how it was designed. You can also buy blank plates to start from scratch if you want.

ETA: Here's a link to show what rails it's fine with. Click!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'm sorry but I have to call BS here. Have you actually looked into or used the Govnah at all?
How is it useless under a rail? I know I make changes to mine without a problem and without removing the rail. Not only that but it's designed so you can easily slide the plate in either direction with quite a few rails on the market. Are there a few it may not work with? Of course, but there are plenty it is fine with. I run mine under a BCM KMR.
Not only that, but if your holes on your plate are too small, you can just open them up with a drill bit. That's how it was designed. You can also buy blank plates to start from scratch if you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the SLR rail that I was running BARELY cleared the SLR rail. the gen 3 setscrew actually touched the rail! Smaller rails such as the SLR/MI/etc cannot run bulky LPGB. and YES, of course i looked into it...quite a bit actually when I was having SLR issues. I dont just blindly make assumptions and fanboy one product. that thing is heavy and bulky and i cannot see how its field adjustable if the rail doent have an opening at the side by the gas block area to adjust. I run a PRI forearm so I cant even imagine how the heck I would get to that to slide it. the SLR adjusts out the front and they sell MANY long hex keys to adjust on the fly. its very fast and repeatable. 15 different positions that you can tune in seconds, or 2....your choice. I chose 15. right now i can run .223/5,56 with a can and without with no issues. i primarily shoot long distance so i dont get anything red hot either for extreme testing.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
E

We make our own side screw now that clears no problem.
We also have our black spring which is incredibly reliable.
Both of which as available no charge as a upgrade.
We worked through issues with our customers while making the product better.
The current gen 4 blocks are amazing.
We move thousands of these a month for a few years now.
We have never let a customer down in service.
Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
E
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the SLR rail that I was running BARELY cleared the SLR rail. the gen 3 setscrew actually touched the rail! Smaller rails such as the SLR/MI/etc cannot run bulky LPGB. and YES, of course i looked into it...quite a bit actually when I was having SLR issues. I dont just blindly make assumptions and fanboy one product. that thing is heavy and bulky and i cannot see how its field adjustable if the rail doent have an opening at the side by the gas block area to adjust. I run a PRI forearm so I cant even imagine how the heck I would get to that to slide it. the SLR adjusts out the front and they sell MANY long hex keys to adjust on the fly. its very fast and repeatable. 15 different positions that you can tune in seconds, or 2....your choice. I chose 15. right now i can run .223/5,56 with a can and without with no issues. i primarily shoot long distance so i dont get anything red hot either for extreme testing.

We make our own side screw now that clears no problem.
We also have our black spring which is incredibly reliable.
Both of which as available no charge as a upgrade.
We worked through issues with our customers while making the product better.
The current gen 4 blocks are amazing.
We move thousands of these a month for a few years now.
We have never let a customer down in service.
Thanks

Will you guys be making any standard non adjustable gas blocks in LaRue set screw spacing? I have an 18" that doesn't need an adjustable gas block. No reason to spend $120 on an adjustable I wont use the features of.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome!

Its good to see companies willing to work with people and fill in voids that other companies leave.

I will probably pick up one of those and an adjustable when they are available.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Just food for thought... this came out a few months ago.

http://pof-usa.com/shop/gas-blocks/dictator-adjustable-gas-block/

I also have grappled with which adjustable gas block.... I ended up buying a Rubber City Armory adjustable gas keyed light weight BCG... and I am not sure I made the correct decision.

It works... but I wish I had bought an adjustable gas block instead. Just to help keep grime out of the BCG area.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just food for thought... this came out a few months ago.

http://pof-usa.com/shop/gas-blocks/dictator-adjustable-gas-block/

I also have grappled with which adjustable gas block.... I ended up buying a Rubber City Armory adjustable gas keyed light weight BCG... and I am not sure I made the correct decision.

It works... but I wish I had bought an adjustable gas block instead. Just to help keep grime out of the BCG area.

View Quote

exactly..
the issue I see with putting a vent on the BCG is that it vents within the rifle..

restricting gas that enters the tube, always seems like the right choice (to me)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a few adjustable blocks and went with the SLR .450" spaced one for my 12" stealth.

I have a MicroMOA govnah and Syrac Gen 2.

The Govnah won't let a LaRue rail over it without grinding on the rail (pass).

Syrac has a .5" spacing so the second screw would be clear of the divot at .450" but I'd prefer both screws to line up. Clamp on Syrac didn't look like it would clear the rail either.

So went with the SLR as they did a run with the right spacing and am quite happy with it, even if it was a bit of a puzzle to get the LaRue rail on first then mount the gas block after a test fit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a paladin machine adjustable gas block.  it has three position close, suppressed and full open.
use a flat head screwdrive to swap position.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I didn't see you indicate if you wanted to shoot suppressed only, or have the ability to go back and forth.

If suppressed only the baby Goliath gas block has a factory .043" port made to be drilled out.  With a 5.56 bore sized suppressor it will likely function with that setting without a need to open it.  If your using a 30cal suppressor there is less back-pressure and it may have to be opened slightly but probably no more than .050".  This is the best solution for suppressor only setup.

For switching back forth and having a low profile gas block under the handguard the Anderson and Odin gas blocks have detent systems that are user adjustable from the front of the gas block so they work under the handguards.  You just have to remember the click settings between suppressed and un-suppressed.  

Another option (what I did) was to install the RCA adjustable gas key on a spare BCG. Just use that BCG when you are shooting suppressed.  This works across multiple builds.  Lots of blow-back and recoil reduction.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Inifinte.....

I have been researching the same thing for months now.  I am not really looking for a block that switches easily from suppressed to unsuppressed, because I don't shoot my rifles without the suppressors.  I just don't enjoy it, so that is not a driving force behind my decision.  It may be for some so I am including this in my assessment.  So far I have dragging my feet at the cost of the "better" lo-pro adjustable blocks.  I am looking to upgrade 3 or 4 rifles with adjustable gas blocks so price is a factor for sure.  While others may have personal preferences, this is my current thinking for the way I want to run my guns.  For all my research it comes down to the following 3 in no particular order....

1 - Micro MOA Govnah -

2 - SLR Rifleworks
Pro - Excellent design with flat detent spring.  
Pro - Available in Titanium for the ultimate light weight build
Con - Price is $119
Con - Titanium is $179

3 - Syrac
Pro - They did away with the "plunger" on the Gen II units so it is now a single hand simple adjustment
Pro - $96 street price is still kinda high, but its the cheapest of the ones I am contemplating

After typing all this out.....I just ordered 2 of the Syrac Gen II blocks from Midway.  

View Quote

Put that one on my Mk18 and really like it, not easily adjustable bust the titanium version is extremely light weight.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top