Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2003 6:55:39 AM EDT
I have a pre-ban Lower and am installin one of two different stocks, an older 3 position CAR and a New Rock River 6 position stock.

My question is how can I modify these stocks so that when I pull/extend the stock all the way to the rear, it only opens to the middle or 4th position.  I have short arms and would like a shorter length of pull stock without having to think about which position I have it locked in.  I just want either fully closed or fully opened (middle or fourth position).

Has anyone modified these before?  Can this be done?  

Thanks for the info....
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You haven't looked have you? [;)]

Merely looking at the stock should make the modification obvious:  fill in the holes in the lower receiver extension you don't want......  
-- Chuck

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I didn't explain the situation enough or just don't fully understand the workings of the CAR stock.

I know I can fill in the holes, which will prevent the stock from locking in those positions but what I am looking to do is:

When I pull the stock all the way to the rear I want it to stop at say the 4th position.  If I fill in the holes 5 and 6, will the stock still pull out to those lenghths just not lock?

How can I make the stock stop and not pull out any further?

Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to have the stock lock into the 4th hole (but skip #2 & #3) just fill holes #2 & 3 with something like [b]JB Weld[/b] or [b]Liquid Aluminum[b] (both can be had at Lowes or Home Depot in the glues/epoxy section). Make sure its flush with the rail after it dries. (I recommend making it 'dome' then after curing sand it level).

When the detent gets to hole #4 it will stop unless you pull on the stock release again.

It this what you're looking for?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, I understand I can fill in the holes and prevent the detent from engaging in the first two positions.  I guess I am not describing it properly or with enough detail, I'll try one more time then give up.

OK, when you squeeze the lever on a CAR stock and pull back it will lock in any position hole if you release the lever.  If you keep the lever squeezed it will stop at the end of the stock travel, full length position.  I am trying to keep my stock from pulling open any further than the 4th position (on a 6 position stock).  I want to be able to squeeze the lever and pull straight back and when the stock stops and does not go back any longer/further, I want it to be in the 4th position.  I guess I want to shorten the overall length of the stock.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
RELEASE THE LEVER!!![noclue]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#6]
He does not want to deal w/ overtravel of the stock. He wants it to STOP at the 4th hole and lock there w/o any screwing around.

Get a 4-position stock!

Just kidding.

Im working on it...back in a second...

Ok, Im back.  Cannot be done w/o some serious boring-bar work to the inside rail and the installation of a new slide/stop.

However, if you took a small piece of thin aircraft cable, and attached one end to the stock and the other to the ring/plate at the receiver, you could adjust the cable so it only lets the stock out so far.

You could also rig-up a way that this cable fits INSIDE the rear of the stock and attaches to the rear of the buffer tube. Again, adjust to length to stop the over travel.

Definitely fill-in stops 2 and 3 w/ JB weld, or better yet, insert slugs of aluminum rod and use JB to keep them in. If you install a stiffer spring, and put more of an angle on the detent, it will NOT go past the 4th hole or whatever hole you chose, provided you let-off on the lever pressure as soon as you are out of the 1st stop.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a strip of aluminiun the thickness and depth of the channel and tap and screw in place. That should keep it from going back all the way.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok you want it to stop even if you're still pulling on the lever.  That's a bit tougher - but possible.

I have an idea but the details will need to be worked out.  Here is the concept:

1) You will need to drill a hole in the bottom of the stock. (where is the question).

2) in one of the detent holes of the receiver extension you will need a coil spring and some kind of detent.

3) The idea is when you pull the stock back the detent will engage the hole in the stock - thus locking it place.

The tricks are finding the proper location for the hole in the stock and the shape of the detent (probably a stepped cylinder with rounded edges would work well)

To return the stock to a shorter position would require two hands (one to push the new detent in the other to pull the stock's lever).

Why not just leave the stock at the desired length?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top