Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 9:13:42 PM EDT
Is it possible to add chrome lining to a barrel?

I don't plan to do it.  I just want to know what the process is and who does it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard it can be done, but more trouble than it's worth. Buy a chromed barrel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:00:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I to have never heard of it being done. I woulf just buy a new barrel
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]
My understanding is that CL barrels are initially slightly oversized to allow for the thickness of the CL.  Since controling the thickness of the CL is difficult, the result can be slight variations in bore size along the length of the bore which accounts for the slight accuracy difference between CL and standard bore.  

End result, you probably would spend much more then a new CL barrel would cost in the first place.

Disclosure:  I am one of many who does not think CL is worth the money for anyone other then LEO or military.  Your milage may vary.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My understanding is that CL barrels are initially slightly oversized to allow for the thickness of the CL.  Since controling the thickness of the CL is difficult, the result can be slight variations in bore size along the length of the bore which accounts for the slight accuracy difference between CL and standard bore.  

End result, you probably would spend much more then a new CL barrel would cost in the first place.

this is what i have heard also
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Unless you know somebody who does it for a living that could slip your barrel in with a batch, it is very unlikley that a single barrel would be cost effective for most of us.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I know the chromer that George Wilson Uses (Wilson Barrels) requires a minimum run of 100...

So I'm sure, even if it could be done, that chrome lining one barrel would be cost prohibitive.

- AG
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Marker Machine Company, up in Illinois used to advertise the service, back in the 1950s.  I suspect they're long since out of business.  They apparently electropolished about half a thausanth off the inside of the barrel, and then laid down a thousanth of an inch chrome coating on the bore. The price was fairly reasonable.

Had them do an M1 carbine barrel for me about 1957.  Worked just fine for about 4000 rounds of mostly rapid fire plinking, and then the plating began peeling at the throat of the rifling. Even if they were still around, don't think I'd spend the bucks again.

Like the man said earlier. You want chrome. Buy a chrome lined barrel to start with
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top