Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 11:53:58 PM EDT
Greetings from Kali. I bought a Fab-10 lower because it was my only option to have a AR-like gun. For those that don't know the Fab-10 lower uses a hex screw to hold in the box mag rather then the classic style catch we all know of. I always tell gun haters that if they think the USA will remain safe forever they are in for a shocker. I would like to add a "classic" or normal mag catch to my Fab-10 using a few tools and ordering the parts online. The reason is to do the hard work before the SHTF. I can cut out the bottom of the Fab-10 with my Dremal in 2 minutes and slam in a 30rd mag and be ready to go. I guess I could even semi pre-cut out the bottom and punch it out if needed in a pinch. Now, my question is can I add just a mag catch and still be legal? I can't see why it would not but I wanted to ask you guys. Also what are your thoughts on semi pre-cutting the bottom out leaving four corners in tacked? It could be argued that it was a weight reduction modification if it came down to it. If WW3 started on our land I would be the first to piss all over the gun laws here in Kali and I hope you would all too and join in the fight. At that point its kill or be killed, I’ll take option number one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#1]
[URL]http://www.3dcafe.com/sounds/animals/cricket.wav[/URL]

I doubt you're gonna get much advice from the readers here on how to commit a felony.
[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Greetings from Kali. I bought a Fab-10 lower because it was my only option to have a AR-like gun. For those that don't know the Fab-10 lower uses a hex screw to hold in the box mag rather then the classic style catch we all know of. I always tell gun haters that if they think the USA will remain safe forever they are in for a shocker. I would like to add a "classic" or normal mag catch to my Fab-10 using a few tools and ordering the parts online. The reason is to do the hard work before the SHTF. I can cut out the bottom of the Fab-10 with my Dremal in 2 minutes and slam in a 30rd mag and be ready to go. I guess I could even semi pre-cut out the bottom and punch it out if needed in a pinch. Now, my question is can I add just a mag catch and still be legal? I can't see why it would not but I wanted to ask you guys. Also what are your thoughts on semi pre-cutting the bottom out leaving four corners in tacked? It could be argued that it was a weight reduction modification if it came down to it. If WW3 started on our land I would be the first to piss all over the gun laws here in Kali and I hope you would all too and join in the fight. At that point its kill or be killed, I’ll take option number one.
View Quote

American lowers cost $85, California lowers cost $300. The fact that you would even consider what you say, shows that you are truly a [:K]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
3.5 years ago this board was full of folks saying they'd be damned if they'd fill out the registration form & send it in.  You could be shooting a [b]$100[/b] receiver with high-cap magazines out your butt.

Do you have a telephone???  [b]Call the DOJ in SAC and ask.[/b]  

I'm not an attorney, internet is not the best place to get legal advise...kinda' 'get what you pay for'.  IF the FAB-10 magazine is not removable, it is not considered an 'assault' weapon under current PRK law.

Locating the mag release so it release the mag is NOT a trivial task; you'll need a bit more than your Dremel tool.[:K]    Obviously, if you're so freaked about evolving from an armchair ranger when the shtf, testing the release when the shtf will be too late.  The jbt's will be all over you.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, but removing most of the mag block could be construed as creating an evil aw.  After you call the doj, find an attorney and put him on retainer.

Ask the same question on calguns.net & I'll give you sthe same answer.

-hanko

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, last I checked it was ok to ask quetions. Its only a felony if I break the law. Talk is cheap so I'm spending a lot of it. All I asked was if it was legal or not. If you looked at the FAB-10 it would not mater if you put in a mag catch or not. I do my best to set people right about gun laws and help them the best I can. I wish some of you would do the same rather then call me a troll. I guess i'll just have to give the DOJ a call then, thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#5]
it would be illegal.. the DOJ was paranoid about  making it impossible to remove the magazine without "tools".. a finger is not a tool, thus a  good looking, normal mag catch would be a tool-less magazine removal feature. Don't do it if you want to stay legal... and keep that pop rivet in there, too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow, last I checked it was ok to ask quetions. Its only a felony if I break the law. Talk is cheap so I'm spending a lot of it. All I asked was if it was legal or not. If you looked at the FAB-10 it would not mater if you put in a mag catch or not. I do my best to set people right about gun laws and help them the best I can. I wish some of you would do the same rather then call me a troll. I guess i'll just have to give the DOJ a call then, thanks anyway.
View Quote

Sorry if you think I came on too strong.

Specific answer to your question is that (I think) adding the release would not be illegal per se; cutting out most of the bottom of the closed magwell is in a very gray area bordering on illegal.

Why didn't you register a real lower??

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]
No, you didn't just ask if it was legal or not. You indicated that you were going to make illegal changes to the lower and went to great lengths to explain how and why you were considering this.

Quoted:
Greetings from Kali...{cut}... I would like to add a "classic" or normal mag catch to my Fab-10 using a few tools and ordering the parts online. The reason is to do the hard work before the SHTF. I can cut out the bottom of the Fab-10 with my Dremal in 2 minutes and slam in a 30rd mag and be ready to go. I guess I could even semi pre-cut out the bottom and punch it out if needed in a pinch. Now, my question is can I add just a mag catch and still be legal?
View Quote

Re-read your entire post. You'll see why you are labeled a troll. There isn't much different in your post than other trolls that say 'I would never consider doing it, but for information only, where is the auto-sear hole located, what is it's size and how do I go about installing it?'

If you had just asked the question without providing all the other information, you probably would have gotten some opinions, without the troll comments.

For instance:

"I don't like the look of my FAB-10 lower and think I can improve it by adding a mag catch. This would give it more of the appearance of a real AR15. Does anyone know if this is legal or not?"
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top