Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2009 11:09:44 PM EDT
I have a situation I'd appreciate some advice on.  I have a WOA varmint model forearm tube.  It came with a sling stud on the bottom.  I want to use a Vickers VCAS sling with this rifle, but would rather have the sling attach to the top/left/side of the tube rather than use the bottom stud or bipod stud.

I received 2 sling studs in the mail today.  One is a standard fixed swivel stud that uses 10-32 thread.  The threaded part of the second one is larger diameter, and the stud actually swivels around inside the threaded part. (Anyone know what what tap I'd need for this larger one?) They are both YHM studs.

Here's where I'm stuck...  I took the tube up to a local welding shop today.  They didn't have a 10-32 tap or a #21 drill bit for a pilot hole.  Guy looked in a book and found what size hole to drill while I went and bought him a tap.  He tapped it, I screwed the sling stud in and stripped it.  Steel threads / aluminum tube.  : (

Maybe all was not lost?  I had just enough thread coming through the tube wall to put a 10-32 nut on the back.  It should be loc tited but the corners dug in to the aluminum a little so it may be fine.

BEFORE I DO ANY MORE DAMAGE:

I'm considering possibly being able to use the now stripped hole I have in my forearm tube, to use as one of the holes to mount a picatinny rail on the side.  I may even like to add one to the bottom to allow more flexibility in attaching / quick disconnecting various items.  I went with this tube in the forst place because I hate how big the 4-rail free float tubes get.  They're sharp edged to hold onto, and too huge with the plastic rail covers in my opinion.

Anyone have experience adding some picatinny rails to a smooth walled aluminum forearm tube?  I'm thinking 4" would be long enough to mount most anything I need on the bottom of the tube.  The top could be find with 1" of rail.  Some of what I've seen available seem to have flat bar that goes inside the tube and acts as a one piece nut on the backside, so you don't have to tap the aluminum, only steel.  Look for suggestions on a solution to mounting this sling.  Please recommend where to find good rails I can add myself to this tube.  I would then add QD studs to the rail and be done with it.  I think.  ??  Where do I find the studs that these use?

http://files.mleaf.net/dtech204/IMG_0479.jpg

Hmm...
http://www.operationparts.com/GG_G_QUICK_DETACH_PUSH_BUTTON_SLING_MOUNT_RAILS_p/ggg-1271.htm
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top