very nice...
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks nice but how does it shoot.

Is that front sight not pinned/bolted in in your pictures?

What is the balance like with the MSS stock?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:22:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]
what did you use for barrel dimensions?
behind gas block? dia.? infront of gas block dia? (I assume length is 18").

thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:42:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#9]
very slick. looks like nice quality work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm taking it to the range tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out.

In the close-ups, it's not bolted together. Those pics came from Steve @ [url=www.adcofirearms.com]Adco[/url].

I'm very happy with the balance. The bipod throws it off, but without it, shooting offhand should be a breeze. I'm anxious to lose a little weight in the scope mounting, but other than that, it's excellent.
View Quote

Are you taking it out to Adams, if so let me know and I'll bring mine and we can shoot together.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:00:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I may have to take mine over to him and have him chop the barrel to 18 and do the brake. It looks great!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I just checked out Adco's webpage. They have really gotten busy since ownership changed hands a year or so ago. The guy doing Adco's machining is a fella named Rick Schuster. I meet him at the local rifle range about 1-1/2 ago before the SPR craze really took off. He had made several really nice free float tubes for some of the Match Gun guys in our club's, high power club and some really nice adjustable sight towers for the AR's. I have been to his shop and he is very well equipped and  is bascially a one man operation, at least he was then. He was selling his sight towers to Brownells and at Camp Perry. I was initally talking to him about making some Pictinny rails to add to an inexpensive Carbon Fiber free float tube. And He suggested making the entire tube from aluminum. We never got together on it, I think I bought my first SPR Tube at a gunshow, and then soon after that got the real SPR tube.

Rick does excellent work.

Adco's has always been my favorite gun store in town. They really are't your typical hunter oriented gunstore, it has always had a more tactical, LE flavor. It was orginally owned by a retired Police Officer. Now a young fellow named Steve has taken it over and really kicked it up quite a few notches!!!! Prices are really reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey Rick,
I haven't shot it with the Fake Can yet, been real busy with school, but without it, shooting the 75grain Black Hills Adco has, (only place around I've found it) it shoots a 1/2 to 3/4 inch at 200yds when I can do my part. The first month I got it back from my gunsmith I shoot allot and was getting reall good with it. I don't think I've shootit in 4 months now. Got to remedy that!!

It really doesnt like anything much under 65 grains. It's really opens up with 55 grainers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#16]
That looks great man.  Where at in Ohio are you guys from?  I live outside Youngstown and am always lookin to shoot with other AR' guys.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Toledo
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I go to YSU, Im guessin you go to Toledo.  We don't have "tactical" gun stores around here, is it worth the drive to ADCO?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks great!  I have a very similar setup.

Quoted:
I'm going to have Steve bead-blast the barrel. He asked if I wanted it coated black, but I like the SS look with the natural carbon on the PRI tube. I just want to subdue it a little.
View Quote

I went the same way with my SPR clone (from ArmyINF/Lane St. John).  I had the bbl blasted, and was going to have it K-Coated, but after seeing the contrast of the OPS brake and blasted CLE bbl, I had to leave it that way.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=13382[/img]

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I goto Owens Community College and yes Adco is worth the the visit if your going to buy something, if your just going to look, there isn't allot in the showroom, but he can get most anything you want quickly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm going to try to get it on paper at Adams tonight, if I can leave early enough. Stupid, time-change...gets dark too early now.

Dave, I'd love to see your SPR with the fake can. Looks nice in your pics. How's it shoot?

Tomorrow, I'm heading to Lima for the precision shooters get-together. Check out the link in The Armory forum. [url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=171615[/url]
View Quote

wow..  I'd like to try that!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#25]
What time might you make it to Adams? I would enjoy meeting a fellow local arfcommer and witnessing the baptism!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#26]
"Nice! Can I bump fire it? I'll bring my own Wolf."

IS THAT SOME KIND OF SICK JOKE!?

This looks like a high end rifle, Wolf need not apply.

EXCELLENT RIFLE

That is impressive work on the brake/collar.

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#28]
how much for just the break, can the brake be machined so you have external threads let me know thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Ya Know I doubt if he ever made them in Stainless steel either but I could be wrong. There is a class 3 dealer here in NC that had them ( stainelss brakes and collars)on his table at the Fayetville show saying they were OPS brakes. The things that make ya go hummmmmmmmmmmm. Personally I am going with the Troy industries brake and collar with thread protector because 1. it is affordable and 2. You can actuly get them and 3. eventually I will get one of their REAL suppresors and not just sit around dreaming of an OPS.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ya Know I doubt if he ever made them in Stainless steel either but I could be wrong. There is a class 3 dealer here in NC that had them ( stainelss brakes and collars)on his table at the Fayetville show saying they were OPS brakes.
IPSC_GUY sends
View Quote

Mine is the real thing and it is coated, but I believe it is stainless under the coating.  And the 4-port OPS brakes for sale on Brownells are stainless, so I'm sure those are the real deal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm sure it's changed just enough as not to be an infringment.

It is only an infringement if its an exact copy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:00:06 AM EDT
[#33]
TheRicker,

My name is John and I live here in Sylvania, Ohio and I can almost throw a rock at ADCO.  Well, okay, maybe I can't throw it....Anyway, I'm just about to buy an RRA AR from Steve, but I haven't been able to find a rifle range around here.  Wife demands that I at least have a place to shoot it.  I also have a .308 that's just collecting dust.  I'm hoping you can clear up a few things.  I was told that Adams only had trap and skeet ranges and Steve actually told me that there was a 6 month waiting period just to be able to join there anyway.  Another guy said that he thought they had public rifle range shooting on Sundays.  Is any of this correct?  I would greatly appreciate answers as no one EVER answers the phone at Adams.  I am desperate to find a place to shoot and local guys to shoot with.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

-John
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#34]
John, do you know where Adams is? Drive by and look for a black or a red pickup truck out in front of the club house most afternoons. The owner is the a fellow named Ike Cottrell or his wife Cindy. She is the secretary and he is the treasurer. They are usually there most afternoons.
They can give you the low down on the waiting list if it still exist. I will email their phone numbers off line.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:41:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's right around 18" OAL.

Profile is .82" stepped down to .75", then to .72". Surprisingly light.
View Quote

Can you weigh it without the scope? I would love to know what "surprisingly light" actually measures at.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The barrel assy alone, with PRI sight, brake and collar, ....
View Quote

Is the collar itself the gas block with the gastube going through the PRI sight?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's right around 18" OAL.

Profile is .82" stepped down to .75", then to .72". Surprisingly light.
View Quote

View Quote

Great minds think alike, as I had CLE do mine 0.85 / 0.75 / 0.73 [;)].  I never weighed it, but it is way lighter than my 20" KAC SR15 Match.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:59:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Since the threaded ring does not come off, it is different enough that it most likely isn't a patent infringment. If he was  making exact copies from an original that would surely be an infringment.

I wonder is Wes, concerned about missed sales or Mr. Seeberger's rights?

Engage Protective Flame Suit!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't see how it would hurt Wes's sales. He's outta the real deal, and Phil isn't letting anymore out for a while. He's still trying to get caught up with all of the orders he has.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Since the threaded ring does not come off, it is different enough that it most likely isn't a patent infringment. If he was  making exact copies from an original that would surely be an infringment.

I wonder is Wes, concerned about missed sales or Mr. Seeberger's rights?
View Quote

Thanks for posting that, so I don't have to.  Seems petty to me.  

Do you think that if TheRicker had bought everything but the brake from MSTN & gave them free publicity, Wes would still feel compelled to stomp this post? Why not take this private?

Wes has a lot of respect around here, and rightly so. He's lost a little of my respect as a result of this thread, for what it matters.

Either way, sweet rig - Nice job TheRicker, ADCO and Schuster Mfg.

If I ever get some money saved up, I want to build an SPR very similar to this one, complete with a 'Fake Brake'. [:)]

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't think you guys are reading Wes correctly on this one.

Capn_Crunch is right, Wes probably doesn't even sell many of the 2-port brakes.  It doesn't seem like he gets many of them, and the ones he does get he sells with his uppers, not as a separate piece.

Trust me, I had to pay a premium to get the real thing second hand (since I couldn't afford an MSTN build), and I figure mine originally came off an upper assembled by Wes.  However the owner was willing to 'part out' with the brake and collar.  

So I don't think Wes is trying to protect his bottom line, I just figure he is trying to protect his suppliers.

No offense to Adco or to anyone that would buy one of their clone brakes, but one could view it as a bit underhanded to copy such a unique design.  Personally I don't really look at it that way, but I didn't design the thing.  Considering how hard it is to get the OPS 2-port brake, I figure it was bound to happen.

FWIW, the Adco build does look great, even if it is a copy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#48]
One last thing on the cloning of Seeberger parts, Here are two quotes from my thread on a fake suppressor:

Quoted:
THE GUY THAT BUILDS THE SPR'S FOR CRANE MAKES A PERFECT COPY OF THE SPR SUPPRESSOR ALREADY. CONTACT ME DIRECTLY AT -

[email protected]

FOR HIS NUMBER.

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

Quoted:
THEY ARE NOT CHEAP, BUT THEY ARE IDENTICAL IN APPEARANCE, EXTERNAL FINISH, ETC. JUST UNDER $200, AS I RECALL.

CONTACT ME DIRECTLY AND I'LL PASS ON HIS NUMBER. HE DOES NOT CARE TO HAVE IT PUBLISHED, BTW.

WES
View Quote

This was after I posed about a board member making me a copy for $45.00.

No complaining about infringment here, granted it isn't a working suppressor, but it is a copy, one that Wes was willing broker. but the brake that Adco has isn't a fully functional copy either. Can you say duplicitous?

[img]http://davkenrem.net/tsprcan1.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Well, fucking whatever. I shot the thing today, and we were banging 300 yard headshots like a 5.56 jackhammer.  Is it the same as a true SPR?  Probably not...but it's solid, accurate, and does what it was intended to do.

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#50]
You went to the Lima SHootout eeh, and the Adco Spr shoot great?
What ammo were you using?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top