Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2006 12:35:55 PM EDT
I'm planning on building my first 16" real soon.  I'm an Active Duty pilot in the Air Force, and I'm wondering if there are any suppliers out there who give discounts to active duty.

Here's what I have planned:
CMT Lower
CMT A3 Upper w/enhanced bolt carrier group
CMT Lower parts kit
16" - either fluted Stainless Steel 1/8 from Model 1 E.R Shaw, or CMMG 1/7 mid-length ($10 difference)
YHM 4-rail free-float
CMT 6-pos Stock

I'm going to try a speed sight, possibly the new Mueller if I can get it in black.  I like the Mueller tactical scope on my Savage LE 20".  I'm going with the CAR so it's light-weight for my wife to shoot, and be confident to use in home defense when I'm deployed.  Granted, I've heard bad things about Model 1, but nothing bad about their barrels.  $245 for a fluted SS sounds like a deal to me.  Any thoughts on these barrels?hanks!
Also, is there a functional difference between the CAR and mid-length?  Is one "better" than the other?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quite a few suppliers give military discounts. DPMS gives a 10% discount. Most will give a military discount if you ask.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You are obviously on the track for a quality weapon, no input on that, but...

... just posting to say a really like your username ThirtyMikeMike (give me some on the tree line, ripple the sh!t out of them )
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Not a Darn thing wrong with Shaw barrels

The Midlength barrel slows down the cycling and is somewhat gentler on the moving parts.
It also looks cooler and lets you mount a bayonet.

IMHO - skip the stainless tube and get the chrome lined heavy barrel with flutes ,
or maybe even the lightweight barrel.

I would also suggest starting with an Eotech or Aimpoint - and a rear BUIS ,
you can always try a magnifying optic later.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
My user name comes from my day job of flying A-10's.  The 30mm is what we shoot (at ~70 rounds per second).

The CMMG mid-length is a government profile barrel, so a tad heavier than the lightweight M4 standard barrel.   Chrome lined chamber and bore.  I think that would fit my needs best.....
...but the 18" SPR is the same price!
Decisions, decisions.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
As a fellow servicemember all I can say about the discount is just ask around as you are
shopping.  Most won't advertise but many will give you some kind of a break if you inquire.

Seems like you have what you want down pat.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the reason to stay away from stainless steel barrels?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:53:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My user name comes from my day job of flying A-10's.  The 30mm is what we shoot (at ~70 rounds per second).  

The CMMG mid-length is a government profile barrel, so a tad heavier than the lightweight M4 standard barrel.   Chrome lined chamber and bore.  I think that would fit my needs best.....
...but the 18" SPR is the same price!
Decisions, decisions.

A-10's are awesome!!  Scary to think that they wanted to send them all to the boneyard at one time.

Where I work, we have a SME that flew both Hogs and Vipers while he was in.  He said that, mission needs aside, he would take the Hog first -- anyday.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, shooting the 30mm is almost better than sex.heyThis is what I ordered...
CMT Flat top receiver
DPMS 16" 1/7 Chrome-lined M4 barrel w/A2 front sight and hider
YHM 4-rail free-float hand guards
Standard CMT BCG and charging handle
Altogether, $530.  Free shipping for military (~$20)

Pricing these parts seperately from online sources, I saved a little over $50.  I think I'll be happy with this setup.  I didn't realize GTS was only 60 miles from me, so I'm getting my CMT lower from Denny.  The ball is rolling....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes, shooting the 30mm is almost better than sex.

I ordered an upper kit from Del-ton today.  They use CMT for many parts.
This is what I ordered...
CMT Flat top receiver
DPMS 16" 1/7 Chrome-lined M4 barrel w/A2 front sight and hider
YHM 4-rail free-float hand guards
Standard CMT BCG and charging handle
Altogether, $530.  Free shipping for military (~$20)

Pricing these parts seperately from online sources, I saved a little over $50.  I think I'll be happy with this setup.  I didn't realize GTS was only 60 miles from me, so I'm getting my CMT lower from Denny.  The ball is rolling....

Sounds like a good combination.  Del-ton will treat you well.

P.S.
Thanks to all who serve.  We appreciate all you do!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top