Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2004 2:06:38 PM EDT
I'm looking at installing an Ace M4 SOCOM buttstock on my KAC SR15-M4, currently with A2 buttstock.  Is there a FAQ or description on how to do this properly?  The Ace instructions are not entirely clear.

Thanks for any tips.

-Gregg
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]
i found it pretty easy, screw the tube in tighten gusset, put in buffer and its done
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't need any special stock installation tools...just a hex/allen wrench. Loosen the gusset, screw the tube in, line it up, tighten the gusset, put in the buffer and spring, and you're set. It really is that easy. It took me 5 minutes, 3 of which were getting it out of the box. It's a great stock and I swear this thing could take down a door but it's more "adjustable" than truly collapsible.
Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, one more thing I forgot, don't forget to press down on the gusset (against the receiver) hard when tightening it, that will eliminate any play between the stock and receiver.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
i just got one that was already installed on a new bushy lower from a dealer.  it appears to be a very nice piece of hardware (and it should for the $$$$).  i swapped mine onto another another lower in about 5 minutes with all tools in front of me.  

www.aceltdusa.com/ar15.htm

anyway, i have a question to those that have one handy.  mine appears to be a little longer than the one posted on ace's site (comparing the length of the foam).  they state  two LOP's : ".....7.5" to 9.5" in five 1/2" increments..... "  and ".....L.O.P. fully collapsed 11.0 " and fully extended 13.0" without recoil pad. Weight: 460g (16.5 oz)....."

the one in the pic appears to be the shorter. LOP.   do/did they make them in more than one length?  

maybe i got an early prototype.  mine's overall length collapsed (w/o pad) is 26cm.  the foam is 15cm.  mine also has a full sized buffer and spring.

let me know what you think.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I just measured mine. 7.5" closed, 9.5" open. Length of foam is 3.75". What I think you may have is the prececessor to the SOCOM, called the Ace ARBT (Ace Boom Tube). The easiest way to tell one apart from a SOCOM is the "meat mincer" at the bottom of the stock versus a sling attachment point.

http://communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nJQAAABULTqgOBl4KnzEMC1GSn5!Wh8KWIS7YS7n5SvAIJM7VNtojy0ZRD*LY06FN74PR3unHW*U
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
gentlemen.  many thanks on the feedback.  yes, mine does have the "meat mincer" just like the pic above.  good analogy.  that thing could definitely be used as a brain hammer if the situation ever arose!

it does work and is a damn nice stock, i just would like to get the shorter version for a project.  guess i'll be calling ace tomorrow to see if they'll sell me the just the short tube and foam along w/ car buffer/spring assy.   more money needed to feed the madness...it never ends.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I am 99% sure the Ace SOCOM is NOT available in 2 lengths. I have never seen in person or a picture of an "extended length" SOCOM nor have I ever been able to find one on any website (including Ace's) any information about it. The only options I know of are 1) Coyote Brown instead of black and 2) fixed position with extended foam pad.

Treetop, you're probably thinking of the Ace Skeleton versus the Entry stock. Those two are nearly identical but the Entry is a bit shorter.

As for the 11" to 13" listed at the bottom, I think that's just a typo. All the other stocks on the page list a LOP and an overall lenght. I don't feel like taking mine off right now, but this is how I see it:
Fully Collapsed: LOP = 7.5", Overall Length 11"
Fully Extended: LOP = 9.5", Overall Length 13"

Since you bought this gun used, I wonder if the previous owner didn't somehow modify it to be longer. Maybe you're right and you do have some very early prototype in which case, hold onto it, you never know, it might be worth something.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#10]
caneau,

the two bushy receivers i bought were new.  the dealer had them configured with various stocksets and trigger groups.  my first thought he just assembled it with a longer tube from another ace product, but after taking the stock apart, the tube is unique (w/ cross slots).  i'm gonna make some calls and post what i find out.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#11]
update:

i called ace and they do make them in two different lenghts with mine being the longer version.  they are interchangeable with appropriate buffer.  he said their website has just not been updated yet.   anyway, i ordered the shorter tube and foam pad.  luckily, most of cost is in the machined "meat mincer".

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I've just never ran across one and I've checked just about every major website that sells them. I knew they made longer stocks that looked like SOCOMs before and I know that it's not hard to modify them since the stocks are fairly simple in design. Regardless, I think it's a great stock and I might even consider getting the longer version if I ever want to build a more target-oriented gun rather than the "tactical" rifle I'm building now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top