Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2006 12:59:35 PM EDT
Any opinions on the ace socom stock?
I have heard it is the most solid collapsable made, so I am planning on one for an upcoming build.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have heard it is the most solid collapsable made, ..

Nope that title goes to the Magpul M93B currently.

The Ace is more 'solid' than a standard CAR type stock, but it doesn't compare to the Magpul IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
i'd like to hear about this as well.  i wondered the same thing.

-septic tank
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one on my project gun. (Its a project cause it never seems to get "done") I like it a lot and it is pretty solid. Not the most rigid of stocks but very solid. If your planning on beating on shit with your stock its the way to go. Everyone should have at least one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
if it's only a range, safe sitting, babied rifle then the socom is probably ok for it.

anything outside of what was stated above then the socom becomes absolute crap, adjusting cam sears and probably wouldnt hold up to a thin bathroom door moreless anything they advertise it to be.

choosing the best collapsable stock for you.

link to page 15, my review of the socom three post down.

for the price i would rather make my own out of pvc, cardboard and ducttape.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
if it's only a range, safe sitting, babied rifle then the socom is probably ok for it.

anything outside of what was stated above then the socom becomes absolute crap, adjusting cam sears and probably wouldnt hold up to a thin bathroom door moreless anything they advertise it to be.

Dam, Eklikwhoa
It seems like you get more pissed at your ace stocks every time someone brings them up!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dam, Eklikwhoa
It seems like you get more pissed at your ace stocks every time someone brings them up!

constant reminder by those who dont read the tacked threads or search.

just wanna express how crappy the stock is when it is used outside of the target/bench range and to keep others from wasting a lot of good money that could be used for much better things. but yeah i forget about the socom eventually but threads like these pop up and remind me of how horrible the stock was.

i have a crap car collapsable stock that i would trust over the socom and would bet money on it breeching a door as good or better than the socom.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a SOCOM stock. It looked nice, and the second one I had locked up solid (the frirst was out of spec, but they replaced it quickly enough). However, I was never happy with the way the "gusset" was held against the lower receiver... the friction fit does not give adequate tension, resulting in a risk of stock rotation and/or wobble over time. The standard M4/CAR castle nut is a much more sturdy arrangement, and so I went back to an M4. The SOCOM sure looks nice though, and is beautifully made.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]
what are opinions on the fixed "skeletonized" stock or whatever?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

those are nice and comfy.

i had both the arfx and arfx-e

cheekweld is nice like a std a2/a1 but the foam feels nice on the face, the rubber pad(when installed) made it really nice for shooting all day long. i liked the arfx-e with the 1" pad, it was the perfect length for me added to the other great things about the stock. all this was during the ban and it was a great alternative but now that the ban is over they are gone.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, The 93B is no more...The replacement looks like it was designed by George Lucas for a stormtrooper.

The other new Magpul stock doesn't impress me any more than the regular M4 stock (CTR)

Damn, I thought I had found what I was looking for, but if its that weak, screw it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
there are dealers that still have some.

search through the industry forum and go to their websites or call them
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, The 93B is no more...The replacement looks like it was designed by George Lucas for a stormtrooper.

Read my sig line.

The other new Magpul stock doesn't impress me any more than the regular M4 stock (CTR)
A traditional M-4 stock won't lock up as solid as the CTR will. Whenever you guy an M4 stock sight unseen, you cannot be guaranteed that it won't have play in it, or worst case be a rattle trap.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:17:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine has been great.  I'm not using it to breach solid core doors but it's no safe queen either.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Long on form, short on function.  If I were going for a fixed stock I can think of more functional units that are the same size.  However they do look cool.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#16]

you think the new stocks look like a space gun stock? They look more like normal stocks to me than the 93 but to each his own I guess....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine hasn't given me a lick of trouble.  Still adjusts without a hitch and fits tight.  I like the cheek weld, and have no complaints.  Wouldn't call mine a safe queen, but I don't break down doors either.

But then again, I'm LSHD.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Long on form, short on function.  If I were going for a fixed stock I can think of more functional units that are the same size.  However they do look cool.

hrm.. i was just thinking it would provide a nice cheek weld, and probably be somewhat close to the weight of an m4 stock.

you don't lose a *lot* of length with a collapsable stock... not sure if *i* really even need one (although they are cool!).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#19]
the two little adjustment screws can come loose.

loctite 'em.

Ace SOCOM is fine in my book.  I'm not breaching doors either.

I do prefer it to the standard CAR stock since the foam pad is both comfortable and allows for a repeatable and consistent cheek weld when the rifle is shouldered quickly.

Given the choice between it and the VLTOR, I'd probably take the VLTOR.

no "robot legs" for me...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Any type of opinion welcome?

In the looks category I give them an "A" for ASS.  

No experience with them but IMHO every time I see a nice rifle with one, I'm really disappointed.  They really bring the overall look of a nice professional AR15 down in my book.  I've seen tons of otherwise very neat and clean rifles look silly with that Huffy Bicycle handlebar for a stock!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I really love my SOCOM.  Mine hasn't seen battle or breaking down doors, but I don't baby my rifle either.  Mine locks up tight as can be and has 0 rattle - a very comfortable shooter.  Variety is the spice of gun cabinets in my opinion.  My opinion is to try one and if you don't like it, you shouldn't have a problem selling it on the EE.  I would imagine that there are more out there that love the SOCOM than hate them...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I like them a lot more than the generic plastic extendable stocks.  The cranes and magpuls are awesome, but for the price, the ACE is a good deal.  I highly recommend them.

But if you know deep down inside you want something else, don't settle for anything less.
The "in the mean time" thinking of buying is not the way to save money.  Buy what you
truely want first (and once) is cheaper than buying many "seconds", even if it costs more
in the begining.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I like them a lot more than the generic plastic extendable stocks.  The cranes and magpuls are awesome, but for the price, the ACE is a good deal.  I highly recommend them.
img390.imageshack.us/img390/8743/gayrightnewsoc6ct.jpg

But if you know deep down inside you want something else, don't settle for anything less.
The "in the mean time" thinking of buying is not the way to save money.  Buy what you
truely want first (and once) is cheaper than buying many "seconds", even if it costs more
in the begining.

you have felt taped to your shell deflector
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I like them priced a little high but nice and strong
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Mine has been great.  I'm not using it to breach solid core doors but it's no safe queen either.  

+1, no problems here.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img390.imageshack.us/img390/8743/gayrightnewsoc6ct.jpg

in the begining.

you have felt taped to your shell deflector

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I have one on my beater gun.  I've beat the shit out of it, and it is rock solid.   I would reccomend them anytime.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top