Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 7:08:44 PM EDT
I read a previous post on Accuwedges, but couldn't seem to discern whether they were truly useful or not. There is a bit of play between the upper and lower of my bushy that I would like to get rid of. The Accuwedge seems like the best option, but some people seem to be against it quite a bit. Does it actually work? Though they say it will reduce wear on the gun, will it actually cause more wear? Any opinions are gladly welcome!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say that it would tend to increase wear on the take-down pin. I've read a post by DEVL, in which he tells how after putting one in his rifle, he had to use a hammer and punch to drive the pin out to clean his rifle. That ain't good. I'm sure they perform their intended function ok, but unless there's a LOT of play, I don't see a need for them. When they first came out, I thought it was a stupid idea; the rifles I had in the Army all had a lot of play, and all were accurate, and functioned perfectly. DEVL's post only confirmed it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]
My Armalite M15A2 had some play in the receivers that just drove me nuts at long range slow fire.
I installed a modified accuwedge and it took the side to side play out and made me happy.
The trick to using an accuwedge is to trim it until it only applies a very slight amount of tension on the receivers.
My AR only takes a light one hand squeeze on the receivers and the take down pin pushes out normally.No force should be needed in any respect.
Armalites require that the base of the accuwedge be trimmed down to about 1/16" or less thick.And the upright section be trimmed slightly to clear the carrier and buffer opening.
It works for me.
Raymond
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I seem to remember reading in one of my AR15 accuracy books that a certain amount of play is beneficial to the AR15/M16. Point being it alleviates undo wear between the upper and lower receiver contact points. To tight and the rifles recoil characteristics tend to accelerate wear on these surfaces.

Also,something about tight fit between upper and lowers is a throw back to M1 and M14 accuracy jobs requiring tight reciever fits back when they ruled service rifle matches. Many gunsmiths and manufacturers just carried this attitude over to the AR15/M16 when they started to mature and take over at the matches.

Ars and understanding what works and what doesn't as far as accuracy has come along way.

Basically, if the play between the receivers is distracting to you try one. JP Enterprises makes a rear tensioning pin that eliminates play also. I think it also does something like reduce tension on the receivers to(Or something like that).

Also, if your going for extreme accuracy (benchrest or service rifel matches) and shooting out to say 600 meters, undo play between receivers can affect accuracuy(Shift in point of impact).

For me,I found it makes the fit on my Bushy receivers so tight it's hard to close them (this might improve with break in though).Bushy tends to make the fit of their receivers and take down pins tight anyways.

As your rifle ages and wears, play may become worse, justifying some sort of fix. New, However, you may not really need it. Goes back to what I said earlier about whether or not the play between receivers is distracting or alarming to you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I have to agree that it does tighten it up. My Bushie was a little loose from the factory and it was one of the first things I bought for it.  It works great and WAS a bit tight and required a real good squeeze to get teh takedown pin out, but it DOES get better with break in.  I cannot discredit or say that the others are wrong becasue I only know what i have experienced.  It worked (still does) very well for me and keeps things nice and tight for shooting long distances.  Hey for $3 try it and if you dont like it then dont use it.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Only read up to some one using a hammer and punch.  This person was not thinking when they did this (no offense, but read on).

The accuwedge is a piece of rubber that eats up the play between the upper and lower.  you have to pull down the upper, push the pin through, and now there is no play because the upper is being forced against the hold pin by the accuwedge (removing all play).  This is not terrible for the pin, and you can humor yourself by buying a replacement, or a titanium or steel one, whatever floats your boat, it isn't pushing insanely hard.

However, let's say it is time to remove the upper.  You cannot just use a .223 round push the pin...  wth you think?  It's really stuck.  Said person said [i]fine, I'll fix you g00d[/i] and took a hammer and punch, and [b]pop[/b], out it came... they were not happy.  Before I did that, I tried to think what was happening.  I knew it was never [i]that[/i] hard to get out... I then used my left hand to squeeze the upper towards the lower (depressing the accuwedge), and then using my .223 like normal to push the pin, a little stiff, but do-able in the field, for sure.  

Just the way I do it...  I used an accuwedge even though my bushy had no play between upper and lower.  I've changed upper ssince then, and didn't even try without the wedge.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried an accuwedge, and couldn't get the upper to close.  I ended up using a small piece of cardboard backing from something that had come bubble packed...worked fine, and still allowed be to push the pins out for takedown.  I called it the "Virginia Po'Boy" accuwedge hehe.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Accu Wedge is RUBBER!  It must be slightly compressed to do it's JOB.  Therefore it is NORMAL to have more difficulty in closing the recievers and opening them.  If it were not harder to do this then what is the use?

COMPRESS UPPER AND LOWER RECIEVERS WITH LEFT HAND AND CLOSE/OPEN/PUSH PIN WITH OTHER HAND.  

It doesnt make the recievers rub against eachother.  Quite the opposite.  It takes up the slack and does that itself relieving undue wear on the parts.  The wedge absorbs the shock not the metal parts.

if you insert an accuwedge in your rifle and cannot get it to close you either have a messed up rifle, accu wedge or are not applying enough opposite force.  You are not going to hurt the rifle or the wedge.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I put accuwedges in three of my Colts and I am impressed as to how they feel.  Wish I had gotten them sooner.

Now all I need is to get nine more so the others don't feel left out :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
OK Guys- how 'bout some kudos for blowin this post number on an accuwedge topic!  [:D]  Here's my take on the whole scene.

To me this is pretty simple as I have pondered it deeply.

1.  Having to use an implement to close the upper and lower is too tight for functionality.  Trim it if need be.

2.  The accuwedge takes up play, it does not create any.  Damage to the holes the pins go through (in the lower) occurs when slop is present- that's how they elongate from the recoil.  A perfectly fitted pin will transfer load to the receiver instead of crashing into it causing slop.  The slop starts from play, not from being tight.  See beginning of paragraph.  That being said I must ask does it help enough to stave off normal wear?  Not sure, but it certainly is NOT hurting.

3.  Hate to mention it, but Colt ships it's upper conversions with an accuwedge.

4.  Does it help accuracy- I can't say I'm not that good a shot so I can't tell.  What I can discern is when rifle components are in the same place every time in relation to each other when a round is discharged, repeatability is certainly enhanced.  Again, nothing causing harm here but maybe helping.

5.  It just plain feels so much better without the play.  The mental satisfaction should not be discounted in it's effects on real accuracy.  Helping to have the mindset that you will shoot well will take you farther than to assume you are being inaccurate.

Conclusion:  It's certainly not hurting, may be helping, and it feels great!  I say go for it!

Here is a question though I REALLY would like some help with.  There seems to be two styles of wedges floating around.  First, a hard plastic deep red, second a softer orange one.  I prefer the softer orange ones which compress and fit nice *without* trimming.  I tried to trim a red hard plastic one and it was a real PITA!  If anyone else has noticed this and knows where I can get the softer orange ones please shoot me an E-mail.

On the post count note I feel obliged to thank all here who have helped me learn from their experience.  Those who have helped me build my collection.  Those that have entertained me for countless hours!  And last, but certainly not least- those who create and maintain this great forum.  Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

[beer][beer][beer][beer]

Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got one. No problems whatsoever.

CRC
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Theres's also black colored accuwedges out there to.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an Accu-wedge in my older Colts and they work great. All you have to do is squeeze the upper and lower receivers together to push the takedown pin in or out.

Just my 223 cents
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:01:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one in my RRA that required a lot of trimming before it was even close. Apparently the shelf in RRA lowers is much higher than most.
I like mine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top