Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2008 12:45:25 PM EDT
Bought Super Sniper for my dad to augment his 3x Compact ACOG last year. Our rifles are nothing special, just regular Bushy barrel with LMT trigger and MI FF rails.

The problem is we are shooting WORSE at 200 yds than we did with 3x Compact ACOG or my TA31 donut. We have bipod on front and sandbag to hold the stock. We haven't changed ammo (XM193 / PP M193) or anything but we just can't shoot as well. Its not just the group size either, the entire grouping seems to move slightly. Sometimes I get pretty good groups but most of the times it is very frustrating to shoot same or worse than an ACOG (with a freaking donut reticule for f*ck's sake)

The scope is mounted on LT SPR-E and it is ROCK solid. Myself and my dad both wear glasses and we aren't crackshots by any measure, but 4"~5" at 200 yards with ACOG is not too hard in prone. I'm saying we can't even do that reliably with Super Sniper.

One thing I noticed is that SS seems to be very sensitive to cheekweld position - I'm new to precision shooting so that might be why but it is a lot more sensitive than TA31 with 1.5" eye relief. On his rifle we still have Front sight post and while our vision is not directly blocked by it, at some angles I do see this faint sight post. I try to "see around it" and it results in me moving my head and I'm thinking maybe thats the reason POI shifts everytime we shoot it. We just can't seem to zero it - it seems to be moving by 1" or so everytime we shoot it.

I'd flat out say that there is a problem with the scope but sometimes we do get good groups...which is confusing me.

Either we both suck at shooting, or our eyes aren't compatible with SS. Am I expecting too much accuracy out of standard M193 ammo and standard milspec barrel combination? I was expecting it to shoot better (at least marginally better) than ACOG at 200 yards..

Anybody else have trouble with Super Sniper? Do you wear glasses?

ETA - this is 10x42 Rear focus model I'm talking about. Sorry forgot about this.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own a SS.  So some of my analysis is pure guesswork.

What magnification is your scope?  If your running high magnification like 16x or 20x, any movement on your part, like breathing or heartbeats can throw off the shot if you're not practiced with shooting high magnification scopes. I have a 10X target scope on AR#1.  Any movement on my part affects groups.

When I wore glasses, I had a terrible time with scopes. Without getting too technical, when I looked through my glasses, it caused a distortion that threw my shots off.  Instead of looking through the center of the lens of my glasses, I was looking a little off-center.
It made the crosshairs seemed curved at the ends. As I got older and my prescription got stronger, the distortion got worse and my shooting got worse.

Contacts solved the problem. My shooting with scopes is great.  My shooting with irons has dramatically improved. Having all that glass gone from my nose is a good thing too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Zeke, thanks for te input.

Maybe I need to get some shooting contacts before I buy anymore high magnification scopes. I have no problem at all with my ACOG or iron sights though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]
cheekweld it very important with a scope . where as with an acog it is not.
as for the glasses i dont wear any so i cant comment on that.

also if you have lower quality scope rings , they can make big problems ,you would never think possible. i know because i learned the hard way with some 40 dollar rings on my remington 700 got badger rings and ended some frustration.

also it is pretty critical to torque the rings properly. most gunsmiths around here will do it for you free if you have everything already assembled and just ask him to do the torqueing
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The only accuracy issues I've had with 10X and 16X Super Snipers have been directly attributed to the loose nut behind the trigger.
Make sure your parallax is adjusted out. With the rifle rested adjust parallax so that the reticle doesn't move on target when your eye's position moves.  The focus ring's meter markings are never exactly right (if the dioper is changed it even throws off ones that are).
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
And M193 ain't the best ammo for little groups, I think milspec tolerance is 3moa.
If your barrel's twist will handle it try a box of BH 68 or 75gr heavy match ammo.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
did some shooting with the ss 10x today.... i have told everyone i love that scope and will
have it for a long time.....

Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 10X Super Sniper on my RRA Predator Pursuit, Burris XTR 3/4" high rings. and it is a tack driver! Shoots the tightest groups of any of my weapons. I shoot the 75 Grn. Prvi match ammo. And am very pleased with it..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top