Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/4/2009 6:45:28 AM EST

I have a new “tier one” carbine made by a highly respected manufacturer. The best 100 yard groups I can muster using xm193, prvi m193, prvi m855, or q3131a1 is 4-5 inch groups. The 10 shot groups are scattered with rounds spread all over a 4-5” area. This is using quality magnified optics and a bipod. The barrel is also free floated.

In comparison, I can achieve consistent 2” or smaller groups using the same ammo out of my Bushmaster, so I don’t think it’s the shooter. The new carbine was intended to be my SHTF carbine and I want/need it to shoot milspec loads more accurately than it does. Should I decide to replace the barrel, any suggestions as to who makes consistently accurate midlength gas system barrels?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:13:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By stpolaris:

I have a new “tier one” carbine made by a highly respected manufacturer. The best 100 yard groups I can muster using xm193, prvi m193, prvi m855, or q3131a1 is 4-5 inch groups. The 10 shot groups are scattered with rounds spread all over a 4-5” area. This is using quality magnified optics and a bipod. The barrel is also free floated.

In comparison, I can achieve consistent 2” or smaller groups using the same ammo out of my Bushmaster, so I don’t think it’s the shooter. The new carbine was intended to be my SHTF carbine and I want/need it to shoot milspec loads more accurately than it does. Should I decide to replace the barrel, any suggestions as to who makes consistently accurate midlength gas system barrels?

Do the triggers feel the same or at least similar? Are the barrels the same length?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:47:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ar-15TechGuy:
Originally Posted By stpolaris:

Do the triggers feel the same or at least similar? Are the barrels the same length?

Barrels are the same length, triggers feel similar.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:52:36 AM EST
First thing I'd check would be the crown...
Top Top