Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2003 1:01:16 PM EDT
...shooting 75gr bullets in a 1/8 twist will RUIN your barrel.  He was nice enough to inform me that I'll need a 1/10 to 1/11 twist barrel for that bullet weight or I will destroy my rifling!

Just thought I would pass on this valuable information to you guys.

[/sarcasm]

Nice guy, but terribly misinformed.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#1]
   i would love to know where this training center is, so that i may learn more.... and perfect my mall ninja ability....

Stainless
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll bet he was an ex-SEAL too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
[bs]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe he just blew a seal .
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...shooting 75gr bullets in a 1/8 twist will RUIN your barrel.  He was nice enough to inform me that I'll need a 1/10 to 1/11 twist barrel for that bullet weight or I will destroy my rifling!

[/sarcasm]

View Quote

And here I was thinking all along that heavy bullets needed a faster rifling to properly stabilize vs light bullets. What was I thinking. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

[/sarcasm]

View Quote

Go back and ask him why the 'standard' twist in the service rifle class is the 1\8 barrel. Stand back and watch his head explode......
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Why don't you print out the articles on Ammo Oracle and give them to him next time you shop there, that way maybe he will perhaps not misinform any customers who don't know any better.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/sarcasm]

View Quote

And here I was thinking all along that heavy bullets needed a faster rifling to properly stabilize vs light bullets. What was I thinking. [rolleyes]
View Quote

and you call yourself a moderator!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, the gun counter guys at Academy, Wal-Mart, etc. are usually good for a laugh or two.

Like the time I asked the Academy gun counter guy to show me the Leopold Picatinny-mount scope rings they have behind the counter (OT: is scope ring theft that big of a problem?), and I was met with a dumbfounded look.  I tried to ask for Weaver mount instead, thinking that would click the bulb on, but instead I found tiny wisps of smoke exiting his ears.  Finally, I had to tell him which row and column to look at to find these rings.  "Oh, the dovetail rings?"
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:54:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Academy has some good deals on ammo; but the one by me is one of the most incomptent retail stores I've ever dealt with.

I get better service from the local fast food place where only one guy even speaks English.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Another one, this time at Wally World:

I called, got the gun department, and asked if they still have the Simmons Aetec that is on clearance for $100 (yes, Simmons sucks, Leupold rocks, but I digress).... He puts me on hold for 5 full minutes, then comes back and says, "Is that a gun or a scope?"  [?][?][?]

I can just picture him making circles around the vertical gun display, thinking: "Remington....Winchester......  Nope, no Simmons!"
[banghead]

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Sonofabitch, I just shot one.. Now I need a new bbl.. Damn...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Dawg_killer,

You must be talking about the Academy in Amarillo, Texas.  The guy there is the friggin "Firarms Oracle".  People come from miles around to seek his knowledge.  Really though, there is no telling what kind of bull (or damage) guys are doing to their guns out there because of the "knowledge" these guys have given.    

Similiar comparisons from recent experiences, just because a guy works in an auto parts store, doesnt make him a master mechanic! and just because they sell wood at home depot, doesnt make them all a bunch of carpenters.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#14]
....and in 1491, the world was flat......Thank you Mr. Columbus.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Take that man's crack pipe away!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Finally, I had to tell him which row and column to look at to find these rings.  "Oh, the dovetail rings?"
View Quote

Probably a paintballer rather than a shooter
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]
A buddy of mine was looking at a rifle at that same Academy.  He asked them to take the trigger lock off of it so he could try it.  According to the Guru behind the counter, that is illegal.

You think they would want their salesmen to know SOMETHING about what they are selling and the law.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

actually they knew the world was round, people from the 17th and 18th century came up with the "world is flat" thing to make the medieval people look dumb.   Just a random tidbit :D
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

actually they knew the world was round, people from the 17th and 18th century came up with the "world is flat" thing to make the medieval people look dumb.   Just a random tidbit :D
View Quote

Does this mean I qualify for a job at Academy???

Anybody know what they pay??
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#20]
The boys are Carters Country on the north side of Houston were showing off a classic Wally World trophy.  Now, I might be getting the EXACT calibers wrong (couldn't stop laughing and crying when I saw the trophy) but some clown at WM sold a nice rifle in that nice round, the 7 mm WSM.  Magnum, right.  That Winchester word just means those are the rounds for Winchester rifles.  So the box of 7mm Remington Magnum must be the box for the Rem in 7 mm "Short Magnum".

Long story short, the lady took it home and guess what, no workie.  Someone (not sure if it was WM or the spouse) managed to ALMOST close the bolt on this sucker.  It wouldn't fire luckily.  So off to CC and they pull the bolt back to find a round that has been collapsed at the shoulder and folded a few times.

What kind of BEAR rammed that bolt shut?  The guys at CC were are cringing when they saw what had happened ...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top