Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 3:00:40 AM EDT
Hi guys I am about to order my first AR-15 Build kit

"Lower Build Kit: Includes our M4-style stock, A2 Pistol grip, Palmetto State Armory Classic Lower Parts Kit and Mil-Spec diameter buffer tube, castle nut, end plate, carbine spring, and PSA Standard buffer.

Barrel: 16", 4150 Steel, A2 profile, 5.56 NATO chamber with a 1:7 right-hand twist , chrome-lined, lead-lapped, mid-length gas port, and M4 feedramps. Barrels are finished off with a taper pinned, f-marked, front sight post, standard handguards, an A2 flash hider, and are phosphate coated.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

Bolt: Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, MPI and HPT. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside, chrome lined inside, and laser engraved with the Palmetto State Armory logo." - $489.99

Lower: Charles Daly or Spikes from FFL - $100

Sights: Magpul Gen 2 Rear MBUS - Black - $55.05

Magazine: I have a few 10 rounders to use for this

Total: $645.04

I was wondering what special tools I might need OTHER THAN the wrench for the stock? I have punches, etc. THE UPPER IS COMPLETELY BUILT BY PSA, btw.

Any last words on what I might want to change out for something else? Without jacking up the price too much?

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:10:11 AM EDT
The lower is easier to put together if you have a mag well vise block, but they aren't completely necessary. Other than that, it looks good.

Have fun
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:10:14 AM EDT
I went with an LMT rear 6/3 sight.. seems crisper to look thru vs the MBUS..

but if you plan on running a scope in the future then I guess go MBUS..

otherwise all looks GTG..
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:15:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By epsgunner:
I went with an LMT rear 6/3 sight.. seems crisper to look thru vs the MBUS..

but if you plan on running a scope in the future then I guess go MBUS..

otherwise all looks GTG..

Thanks guys, yeah I will be putting an Aimpoint or Eotech on this later once next month's pay comes in haha, wish I could get it all together now. But $$ limits that!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:45:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thecirclebroke:
Hi guys I am about to order my first AR-15 Build kit

"Lower Build Kit: Includes our M4-style stock, A2 Pistol grip, Palmetto State Armory Classic Lower Parts Kit and Mil-Spec diameter buffer tube, castle nut, end plate, carbine spring, and PSA Standard buffer.

Barrel: 16", 4150 Steel, A2 profile, 5.56 NATO chamber with a 1:7 right-hand twist , chrome-lined, lead-lapped, mid-length gas port, and M4 feedramps. Barrels are finished off with a taper pinned, f-marked, front sight post, standard handguards, an A2 flash hider, and are phosphate coated.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring machined T marks, and a mil-spec finish. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer, and are marked with the Palmetto State Armory logo on the left side, up front, just below the rail.

Bolt: Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, Shot peened, MPI and HPT. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside, chrome lined inside, and laser engraved with the Palmetto State Armory logo." - $489.99

Lower: Charles Daly or Spikes from FFL - $100

Sights: Magpul Gen 2 Rear MBUS - Black - $55.05

Magazine: I have a few 10 rounders to use for this

Total: $645.04

I was wondering what special tools I might need OTHER THAN the wrench for the stock? I have punches, etc. THE UPPER IS COMPLETELY BUILT BY PSA, btw.

Any last words on what I might want to change out for something else? Without jacking up the price too much?

Thanks

I almost never use punches. A pair of needlenose vise grips and normal vise grips should be fine. Make sure you wrap blue tape around the jaws to prevent scratching the receiver. What I do is use the needlenosers to compress the roll pins a bit, then use the big vise grips to squeeze the pin in just a bit. Remove needlenosers, then squeeze the rest of the way. Tap in remainder with punch if necessary. For the Pivot pin detent installation, I use an exacto knife with the straight chisel blade tol hold the detent+spring down, then slide the pivot pin overtop of it. Do this under a chair with a sheet draped over you to keep the detent from flying across the room.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 4:51:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RocketmanOU:

I almost never use punches. A pair of needlenose vise grips and normal vise grips should be fine. Make sure you wrap blue tape around the jaws to prevent scratching the receiver. What I do is use the needlenosers to compress the roll pins a bit, then use the big vise grips to squeeze the pin in just a bit. Remove needlenosers, then squeeze the rest of the way. Tap in remainder with punch if necessary. For the Pivot pin detent installation, I use an exacto knife with the straight chisel blade tol hold the detent+spring down, then slide the pivot pin overtop of it. Do this under a chair with a sheet draped over you to keep the detent from flying across the room.

Thanks, I'll try that instead of punching stuff in

One more question, how good are Magpul BUS's? I was thinking of spending about $20 more to get a LaRue tactical fixed back-up sight that does not flip like the MBUS, do you think that's worth it? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:03:19 AM EDT
I have both Troy and Magpul backup (rear) sights. I like both and especially the lower cost of the Magpul.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:08:21 AM EDT
If you have a choice for your lower between the spike's and charles daily make sure you go with a spikes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:17:14 AM EDT
Instead of a Daly or Spikes for 100, why not PSA Lower for 79? If using vice grips for the roll pins, tape, lots of tape.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:19:22 AM EDT
It looks good. You don’t need any special tools, but they would certainly make assembly much easier. Heck, I assembled my lower build kit right on my dinning room table. Just take your time and go slow.

I just finished my PSA build yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:21:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By X-CaptHook:
Instead of a Daly or Spikes for 100, why not PSA Lower for 79? If using vice grips for the roll pins, tape, lots of tape.

Good question. I agree, you should keep it all PSA. That’s what I did. Then again, I’m just weird like that... or maybe that’s my OCD getting the best of me!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:30:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By X-CaptHook:

local FFL has a $30 transfer fee, so 79+ shipping + 30 is more than the $100 out the door price for a spikes lower haha, plus I am sure Mr. PSA upper won't mind Mrs. Spikes lower too much
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:30:38 AM EDT
By the time he pays shipping and transfer fees the PSA would probably be more than 100.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:16:51 AM EDT
These guys are running $56 lowers right now, $10 shipping, but its a flat rate(ask me why I have 4 stripped lowers)

not built yet, but random test fitting of VM 9mm mag block, spikes 9mm mag block, and various other random lower parts I have indicate they are a good fit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:16:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By full-mann:
These guys are running $56 lowers right now, $10 shipping, but its a flat rate(ask me why I have 4 stripped lowers)

not built yet, but random test fitting of VM 9mm mag block, spikes 9mm mag block, and various other random lower parts I have indicate they are a good fit.

Thanks, but with the transfer fee I am only saving 4 dollars, I'll just get the Spikes I think
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:18:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/30/2011 11:18:47 AM EDT by Checkmate762]
Originally Posted By full-mann:

Thanks, but with the transfer fee I am only saving 4 dollars, I'll just get the Spikes I think

Good choice.

eta: fixed it for ya!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:40:40 AM EDT
Shoot I just realized I am a CT resident, but I currently live in PA and I will not be bringing the gun back to CT, is that still legal to own AR's with AWB features?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:50:04 PM EDT
Shoot I just realized I am a CT resident, but I currently live in PA and I will not be bringing the gun back to CT, is that still legal to own AR's with AWB features?

Yes, as long as you don't bring it to CT you're fine. But you might have some trouble purchasing a stripped lower in PA. I don't think you can buy stripped lowers outside your state of residence now, similar to handguns.
Top Top