Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 5:35:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 5:39:08 PM EDT by Dog1]

My SPRish build..still under construction. The funding has run out right now..still need to get a set of ARMS 22 high rings..I have a rear sight, a ASA MAD on the way.

Parts

Colt Sporter lower
Colt M4 upper
Colt A2 buttstock
Colt Bolt/Carrier
WOA 18" SPR barrel
PRI Front sight/gas block
YHM Customizable Free Float tube
Tasco Super Sniper, 16X

I did all the work myself, including cutting the flats for the PRI sight. I bought all the tools to do a build and figured it was time to do it.

At a informal range trip, I was plinking to see it's groups...not bad...at about 50 yards all were one group, you could lay a nickle over them and cover them.

Granted it was at only 50 yards and I was more there to test function-which after teaking the gas port, was 100%- than groups and I'm still waiting to get my rear sight and ARMS #22 rings before I sit down to a serious range test.

As soon as I get the ARMS #22 rings and the ASA rear sight I will take it to a serious range trip.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:44:06 PM EDT
Nice....(Admiral Akbar). Those YHM modular tubes look perfect.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:48:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRegulator:
Nice....(Admiral Akbar). Those YHM modular tubes look perfect.

Yes I do like them...I was going to do a smooth tube at first...then I got my catalog supplement from Brownell's and they had the customizable YHM tube, and at my discount I could not pass it up..

Plus I have the option of adding any rails in the future should I need them..
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:57:00 PM EDT
Yes, .... reasonably priced too!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:56:28 AM EDT
That one fine looking set up, yu done good
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:17:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 9:33:40 AM EDT by Sniper918]
Very nice setup.
Been thinking doing one just like that.
I just gotta have one of those WOA 18" barrels

BTW, is the barrel chrome-lined or not ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:33:51 AM EDT
Nice... How strong is that FF? Ive been looking for a FF for quite some time now and Ive been debating whether I should get a rail system or not. That looks perfect.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:55:16 PM EDT

Sniper918
BTW, is the barrel chrome-lined or not ?

The barrel is Stainless Steel, so no it's no chrome lined.

Originally Posted By shingaling:
Nice... How strong is that FF? Ive been looking for a FF for quite some time now and Ive been debating whether I should get a rail system or not. That looks perfect.

IMO, this is a great tube. The tube and the barrel nut is Aluminum, the locking ring is steel. So far, in a limited range test which was for function only, it preformed fine. Long term testing will show if it's as tough as it should be.

I like the ability to add rails in the future, should I need them. By adding the end ring cap that finishes off the tube, it really looks cool...

One thing I did do-YHM has a swivel stud for a sling that I bought to use as a bipod mount. I have had bipods on rails in the past and really never liked it. However I found out after getting the stud that YHM dos not put a hole for it in the 6 o'clock position, when the rails are alined at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.

So...I got a 5/16 32 tapered tap and drilled out the futher most hole for the rails with a 9/32 drill bit and threaded it to accept the stud mount. I tapped it and it worked fine.

Others may opt for a rail and a bipod mount, but I don't like that set-up.

All and all, I'm very impressed with YHM's customizable tube.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:04:26 PM EDT
here is my build using the yhm mod tube

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:43:48 PM EDT
Looks very interesting.. can you mount a rail on the 6 o clock position for the bipod adapter + bipod? Who sells the rails? My guess is YHM correct? I was going to get a Larue FF but I honestly do not need all the rails .
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:34:44 PM EDT

Looks very interesting.. can you mount a rail on the 6 o clock position for the bipod adapter + bipod? Who sells the rails? My guess is YHM correct? I was going to get a Larue FF but I honestly do not need all the rails .

Yes you can get a bipod adapter for the rail at 6 o'clock. YHM sells them as does Brownell's...
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:38:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sniper918:
Very nice setup.

/quote]

I have two WOA 18" SPR uppers. This is an exceptionally fantastic barrel. Each one shoots dead-nuts tight! Weight is great: not to light, not too heavy. Try the 75-77 grain bullets. I only use moly coated bullets. Velocity difference between a 20" and 18" barrel should be less than 100 FPS (calculated). Unless shooting at 600 yards, you will not notice much of a difference in bullet impact. Up to 300 yards, you should notice no difference in bullet impact.

IMHO, dollar for dollar, this is the best and most accurate barrel around.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:39:44 PM EDT
Storm Troopers always looked much bigger in the movies.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 7:04:19 PM EDT by Dog1]

Originally Posted By AtlantaFireman:
Originally Posted By Sniper918:
Very nice setup.

/quote]

I have two WOA 18" SPR uppers. This is an exceptionally fantastic barrel. Each one shoots dead-nuts tight! Weight is great: not to light, not too heavy. Try the 75-77 grain bullets. I only use moly coated bullets. Velocity difference between a 20" and 18" barrel should be less than 100 FPS (calculated). Unless shooting at 600 yards, you will not notice much of a difference in bullet impact. Up to 300 yards, you should notice no difference in bullet impact.

IMHO, dollar for dollar, this is the best and most accurate barrel around.

You are right AF..this is a great barrel. Granted I have only done function testing at 50 yards, but if that is any indication, this sucker will shoot. I was stacking rounds on top of each other, with LC M855.

As soon as I get the right rings, the ARMS #22 Highs, I will get it out for a long testing and sighting in trip.

As for the trooper...."You are a little short for a Stormtrooper, aren't you?" That was a trade I did for with the boy...he gets a ARC 170 fight for his action figs and I get the Stormtrooper that he does not play with...since my Mom GAVE my one away from my childhood...

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:35:50 PM EDT
Where did you purchase your FF? I asked Bravo and he doesnt carry it =[.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:40:34 PM EDT
Oops just re-read...blah no discount for me..sux lol
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:47:08 AM EDT

Where did you purchase your FF? I asked Bravo and he doesnt carry it =[.

Try here-Brightflashlights YHM ad
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:59:38 AM EDT
What length is is your YHM free ploat.
Nice set-up!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:46:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WSAR15:
What length is is your YHM free ploat.
Nice set-up!

Thanks!!

It's a rifle length tube..

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:52:37 AM EDT
what scope rings?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:32:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 13thWarrior:
what scope rings?

That I have on it now? A set of Lupy PRW rings that sits too low...

I want a set of ARMS 22 High rings...I have the PRW rings for sale in the EE...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:25:17 PM EDT
Nice rig. Those tubes look really clean. They are my favorite of all the YHM tubes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:50:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 4:51:19 PM EDT by Dog1]

Originally Posted By h8mtv:
Nice rig. Those tubes look really clean. They are my favorite of all the YHM tubes.

Thanks!!

I totally agree..I see all these pics of these SPRish rifles with DD or Larue tubes on them...and I ask myself is all of those rails needed on a SPR, in my case no.

I can buy a few rails to mount on there and when needed I can add them, but I do not see the need for a rail system that is nearly $300 for what is a designated marksman style of weapon...

All I wanted was a freefloat tube to enhance my accuracy and if I needed, mount a rail or 2.

If I add a few rails, with the cost of the tube, I would have only $125 in the system, as opposed to $300+ in a DD, Larue or ARMS SIR.

Don't get me wrong, I think that those tubes are the shit, but for what I was building, those were not needed....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:08:22 PM EDT
I wish I had as clear a logic as you do my friend. I have more rails than sense.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:02:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By h8mtv:
I wish I had as clear a logic as you do my friend. I have more rails than sense.

I don't have that much more sense....you should see my carbine....in fact..it was the carbine that made me realize that I did not need that many rails..
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:42:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dog1:

what scope rings?

Yeah looks like your front flip down sight is in the way i need to get rings like that for my varmit .
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:24:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dog1:

what scope rings?

Yeah looks like your front flip down sight is in the way i need to get rings like that for my varmit .

The front is not in the way at all..for me it's about 2 things...

I need clearance for the rear sight and I need it a tad taller for my cheekweld....

In the current config with the PRW rings, the front sight is not in the way of the scope...
Top Top