Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 9:34:43 PM EDT
Well I had a most frustrating day at the range this weekend.  I could not shoot for shit, even from the bench, to save my life.  Also my EOTech decided to start giving me real problems.  Somehow it seems to have major problems in windage and a single click is sometimes moving my group more than 2 inches at 100 yards.  Damn I was pissed.

Anyway, I pulled it off and went back to Irons.  I don't however have anyone locally with whom to compare my performance.  So... I was wondering if people here might be interested in making a permanent  thread to display 75, 100 or 200 yard targets fired from irons.  I often wonder what is really typical shooting for combat irons.  For me with BH Ammo my best has been about 1.8" at 100 yards.  I can't see how to get any better than that either.   At that range the 8" black on an NRA target is so small I can't really judge my alignment with center.

I'll post mine in case anyone likes the idea.  I really think it would be helpfull for us all  to see what a large cross section of shooters can do.

If you post a target please include:
Rifle
Ammo
Range
Group size
Position

16" DPMS HBAR
Black Hills 68gr
100 yards
1.88"
Bench

Don't laugh at me too hard.  I know there are many that could wipe the floor with my best.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Man... I was bench shootin on Friday afternoon.

A guy with a muzzle-loader and a kickin scope casually turned his head and said "You're 6 inches high and 6 inches to the right."

My response?

"Holy shit... I'm holding a group?"

Don't worry about your grouping.  1.8'' is stellar... and you are using a 16''!

YOu may have just had an off day.  I'm hoping, after some adjustments, to get a 4 inch grouping of 10 shots this week.  Don't let it bug ya

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, damn, I don't know what you're gripin' about, that looks good to me. Heck, if I can keep a 4" group at 100yrds. with iron sights I'm happy.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The irritating part was the EOTech, not that target!  I just got in foul mood chasing zero all afternoon and took the damn thing off.  That is THE best 100yard target I have ever shot so far (10 months) with irons.  Most are more in the 3 inch range.

I'm  just curious cause I know a lot of people on this site shoot NRA matches.  How they do it with irons?  A how the HELL do they do it off-hand.  I seriously doubt I can keep them in the black at 100 off-hand, but some guys are talking 300 meters and beyond.    With sandbags and all the time in the world that's all I can do.

Like I said, I'm just curious about other peoples targets since I have no guys up here I can compare with.  

I'm not bitching nor am I trying to show off.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
National Match front sight might help.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a picture of a target, 1 1/4 inch thick piece of steel...    What?   You were expecting group size pics?    

Front side....

Back side....

Use it pretty much as a gong for 5.56x45mm and 7.62Nato, the round that penetrated is a 300WinMag stuffed with 163grn AP pulls from WWII surplus ammo.    Was curious what they would do when spanked to 3200fps as opposed to 2800fps for the 30-06.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that is just SOOOO much cooler than paper!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:16:04 AM EDT
[#7]
My bad.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:29:26 AM EDT
[#8]
You might want to try the 15 minute trigger job.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
mongo001,

Iron sights?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#11]
dave from HighPowerForum.com shot this:

http://www.highpowerforum.com/images/forum/1.jpg

Rifle is a RRA NM

Federal brass
Federal Gold Medal Primers
Sierra 69 grain HPBTMK
Seated to max length. Reads -.014" on the RCBS mic gauge
25.0 grains of Hodgdon Varget

Fired from prone with a jacket, sling, and glove.  Open sights at 200 yards.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Just as long as you know the rules, "First liar ain't got a chance"!!  STAN, (s--t, that ain't nuthin) will have groups down to one hole within 6 or 8 posts!!  I like the idea of being able to compare with others to judge how well you and your rig is doing, but the only way to do it is to get together with some shooters and go to the range.  Then you can have a  "Best Excuse" contest on the side. Poeple will be people, I love the bumper stickers which say "I Fish, Therefore I Lie"
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Mk12 Mod1 SPR Clone
69gr SMK handload
100yds
0.45"
Bench with bipod deployed and sandbag under pistol grip

I've been working up loads with 77gr SMKs, but I haven't shot another group worth posting a pic of yet.  Most are under 1" at 100yds, but I haven't tuned them in to this point yet.

I declare BUNK!

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#14]
My bad.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]
My bad.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
mongo001,

Iron sights?

Heavens no.  Leupold MR/T at 9X.  I couldn't do that with irons.h.gif

Grunteled did not specify irons - after further review, he did specify irons.

you might want to read the first post, it clearly specifies irons.

"wondering if people here might be interested in making a permanent thread to display 75, 100 or 200 yard targets fired from irons"
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Speed reader.  My bad.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/193578.JPG
Mk12 Mod1 SPR Clone
69gr SMK handload
100yds
0.45"
Bench with bipod deployed and sandbag under pistol grip

I've been working up loads with 77gr SMKs, but I haven't shot another group worth posting a pic of yet.  Most are under 1" at 100yds, but I haven't tuned them in to this point yet.

I declare BUNK!

www.club3g.com/forum/images/smilies/bsflag.gif

That's very doable with the rifle/ammo he used.  That's not bunk, that's the result you get with an accurate rifle and a good shooter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I hope you're kidding Bridge.

Certainly didnt mean for him to pull the post.   Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't pull it because of you.  I've got some of the thickest skin out there and I can take a BS call now and then.

Post didn't fit the criteria, so I pulled it.  I'm a habitual speed reader and when I saw him start out with an EoTech combined with the title of the thread led me to believe he wanted target pics.  Further, slower reading shows he wants iron sights.

I couldn't shoot that well with irons, so I pulled it.

It's all there in the quotes anyway, so anyone who can track quotes can see what happened.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't pull it because of you.  I've got some of the thickest skin out there and I can take a BS call now and then.

Post didn't fit the criteria, so I pulled it.  I'm a habitual speed reader and when I saw him start out with an EoTech combined with the title of the thread led me to believe he wanted target pics.  Further, slower reading shows he wants iron sights.

I couldn't shoot that well with irons, so I pulled it.

It's all there in the quotes anyway, so anyone who can track quotes can see what happened.

That's cool... reading my post I can see the confusion.  I was about to nominate you my shooting hero.  Thanks too all who have submitted and keep 'em coming!

Anyone who posts their shooting fish stories in here well, that's on them.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top