Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/14/2004 6:29:08 PM EST
Here we go - after reading many of the posts regarding scopes here, I would like simple choices. Here is my situation:
1. I have a flattop M4gery with NO iron sights, 16" bbl.
2. I need a scope.
3. A majority of my shooting will take place at less than 100 yards in both dim- and full-light conditions.
4. Unless something unforseen happens, my life should not depend on this rifle - it is mostly for plinking, but in an emergency may be used for defense (I have a pistol for quick use).
5. Right now (not in 2 months or a year), I would like to buy a scope so that I can use my new rifle. I do not wish to "wait for a good deal" on the EE, or keep trolling eBay or gunbroker - those are the same items being recycled over and over again.
6. My cap for scope and mount is $200. Not much, but all I can afford. I have a mortgage to pay, and this rifle was my treat for a recent OT binge.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please don't waste valuable bandwidth for the inevitable "scope (x) blows". Just give me a good set of choices. As much as I'd love a good ACOG or other quality scope, it's just not happening right now. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:34:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 6:36:25 PM EST by doc_Zox]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:49:04 PM EST
Based on your criteria, I recommend an OKO. Its a Czech-made reflex sight and is very light. I got the 4MOA model from Night Vision Mall last year for around $170 and mounted it on my Rem 870 12 ga. I have sighted it out to 75 yards with slugs and have been dead on. Another 25 yards with a rifle should be no big deal. It has handled both Slug and Buck recoil and the usual wear and tear fine with no reliability issues. It has 11 brightness settings and I have always been able to adjust for the conditions without complaint. I've had good experience with battery life (still on my first one), but then I only turn it on when I use it, so I have no testing data for you...
I have an A2 model, so I don't know if you would need to raise it on your flattop rail a little, but my gut tells me probably not...
Only beef I have with it is that it lacks "positive clicks" that you can feel and hear when you adjust it for windage and elevation. You adjust the screws by turns only and it could take some getting used to...
For a well-made plinker optic on an AR, I'd recommend it. hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:50:29 PM EST
I don't have any specific details to help you out, but I can suggest the following:

- If you're going to shoot at less than 100 yards then an adjustable objective is very nice to have. Without the AO paralax can be a real issue.
- With such a low price limit the RRA 1 piece scope mount is going to be your best mounting option.
- I have no experience with them, but the Simmons Aetec scopes have seemed like a good deal in the price range.
- IME www.swfa.com and www.cabelas.com have had the best prices for regular scopes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:54:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:58:07 PM EST
B-Square Military Base with 1" Integral Rings AR-15 Flatop $58.99LINK

Leupold VX-1 Scope 2-7x 33mm Duplex Reticle Matte $199.99
LINK

This rig is a little more than you wanted to spend, but it is a decent mount and a very good scope.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:59:25 PM EST
I should have been specific about the scope - I prefer a fixed magnification. Other than that, whatever works.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:56:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By strick909:
B-Square Military Base with 1" Integral Rings AR-15 Flatop $58.99LINK

RRA (who has a better rep than B-Square) one piece scope mount with 1" rings $41.11 from a supporter of these boards.
www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/rockrivermnts.cfm?page=rra
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:04:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By jgrease:
Here we go - after reading many of the posts regarding scopes here, I would like simple choices. Here is my situation:
1. I have a flattop M4gery with NO iron sights, 16" bbl.
2. I need a scope.
3. A majority of my shooting will take place at less than 100 yards in both dim- and full-light conditions.
4. Unless something unforseen happens, my life should not depend on this rifle - it is mostly for plinking, but in an emergency may be used for defense (I have a pistol for quick use).
5. Right now (not in 2 months or a year), I would like to buy a scope so that I can use my new rifle. I do not wish to "wait for a good deal" on the EE, or keep trolling eBay or gunbroker - those are the same items being recycled over and over again.
6. My cap for scope and mount is $200. Not much, but all I can afford. I have a mortgage to pay, and this rifle was my treat for a recent OT binge.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please don't waste valuable bandwidth for the inevitable "scope (x) blows". Just give me a good set of choices. As much as I'd love a good ACOG or other quality scope, it's just not happening right now. Thanks in advance.

I'd say based on the above, a leupold VXII 1-4x20. I paid about $240 for mine. I'm sure it can be found cheaper. Get some decent rings and you should be good to go for close to what you want to spend. I have one on my AR and I love it. No illuminated retical or anything like that(thats actually my only gripe because I like them, and because of what my intended uses for the rifle are) But if you don't need an Illuminated retical than this would be a good scope. It should work great for the uses you said you wanted it for. The majority of the shooting I do with this gun is 100 and under. With the occasional 200-250 yard shooting. Works great. Just another option for you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:16:05 AM EST
Go ahead and get the Tact Point but don't tell anyone here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:28:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By RAMBOSKY:
Go ahead and get the Tact Point but don't tell anyone here.

It would probably work well for what he wants.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:40:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By jgrease:
I should have been specific about the scope - I prefer a fixed magnification. Other than that, whatever works.

In that case, I can't help ya. The only fixed power scopes I like are the IOR M2 type scopes. Fixed 4 power.
Top Top