Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/7/2011 9:24:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2011 7:24:04 PM EDT by Transcend]
I noticed when typing in "Fail Zero" in google video that most of the people testing and/or showing the Fail Zero BCG also had an upper receiver that was also coated.
Im sure having all of that coated is nice, but if you have the FZ BCG , does it really help that much to get the coated upper receiver as well?
Does anyone have both that can say it makes it worth it? Any one have only the BCG and do you run it dry? When they say it can be run dry, do they mean you have to have the coated upper as well?

Just wondering how experienced owners of FZ work with it and how well its been performing for them.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:21:11 AM EDT
I had my bolt carrier in a standard upper for about a year before I bought a coated upper and moved the bolts between rifles. No issues during that year or after moving the uppers - but I haven't yet shot the rifle that how has the coated bolt in the coated uper. I just know the coated bolt worked fine in the standard upper receiver.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:21:13 PM EDT
Did you run it dry? Im wondering if running dry would work even better with the upper done as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 2:38:03 PM EDT
I never run anything dry. Most folks would say I use too much lube but then I don't live in the desert/dust areas and I've never had an issue with excess lube causing any problems.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:54:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:
I never run anything dry. Most folks would say I use too much lube but then I don't live in the desert/dust areas and I've never had an issue with excess lube causing any problems.

Good Man!!!

I run everything wet including my Glocks. Even if I had a POF (NP3 internals) it would still be spitting lube like Sylvester.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:23:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LoadedDrum:
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:

Good Man!!!

I run everything wet including my Glocks. Even if I had a POF (NP3 internals) it would still be spitting lube like Sylvester.

So, when you bought the BCG, did you read this part?

"FAILZEROTM tactical upgrades give law enforcement, security and military professionals the "active weapon advantage" in critical use: no grease to hold grit, no oil to wear off, no gun-jamming crud on key components. FAILZERO tactical rifle upgrades and pistol drop-in kits use patented EXO Technology to provide permanent dry lubricity to metal surfaces. This breakthrough technology, thoroughly proven in SWAT applications, DoD testing and battlefield conditions, creates a greaseless, permanently lubricious surface that's harder than the substrate itself. Unlike films, conventional coatings and applied lubricants, it never rubs off, thins out, spalls off, or builds up crud. FAILZERO upgrade parts reduce maintenance and improve the performance of tactical firearms such as AR-15 and M16/4 rifles."

Or this part?

"FailZero parts are treated with EXO Technology, a patented process that transforms a metal surface into a permanently dry-lubricious material that's harder than the substrate itself. It's dry-lubricious properties reduce friction so well, no wet lubrication is ever needed. And, EXO Technology dissipates heat so efficiently, operating parts run cleaner and cooler - a great benefit in semi-automatic and automatic weapons."

So, why did you (waste money) buy something that doesnt need any lube if your always going to use lube? LOL Why didnt you just keep what you had and save the money?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:57:56 PM EDT
I have run it both ways. w/ coated upper, w/o coated upper... w/ lube and w/o lube.

I have not experienced any malfunctions or stoppages either way. But my personal opinion just on how it "feels" and how it cleans... i prefer running it w/ coated upper and no lube.

functions flawlessly, no lube mess, easy clean up, just pick it up, rack it, shoot until i am out of my bullet allowance, and then forget about it until i feel like cleaning it or its time to shoot again.

I will note that it is kind of like the BAD Lever; i pick up muscle memory and bad habits with it.. i don't keep a regular cleaning schedule with it, i abuse it, it never lets me down... but if i was to find myself using another rifle for whatever reason without it, i would probably forget to lube it.

For the record though, whenever i build rifles now i only use the coated uppers... at $124 stripped it is worth it to me.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:05:31 PM EDT
I've been thinking of purchasing a Fail Zero coated upper as well. The only coating that would really matter would be the interior so it shouldn't be a big deal to paint the exterior?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:35:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SilentType:
I've been thinking of purchasing a Fail Zero coated upper as well. The only coating that would really matter would be the interior so it shouldn't be a big deal to paint the exterior?

no problem at all.

they do offer them with cerakote topcoated in black, FDE, or OD for $10 more though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:17:06 PM EDT
I have Exo coated Fail Safe & Spikes BCGs and a Dennys Gun Ion Bond BCG and run them in standard uppers & all run fine that way.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:36:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Talyn:
I have Exo coated Fail Safe & Spikes BCGs and a Dennys Gun Ion Bond BCG and run them in standard uppers & all run fine that way.

Good to know, thank you. . Now, if there were only a place I could buy a Fail Zero charging handle by it self.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:35:36 PM EDT
The only thing I would suggest is to get a EXO/ NiB coated hammer, or the Spik'e Battle Trigger FCG group. This will reduce wear on the hammer surface where the carrier hits during cycling, it also assists in smoother cycling. it's not neccisary for operation, but the harder NiB carrier will wear on the hammer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:38:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2011 7:39:25 PM EDT by vick1000]
Originally Posted By Transcend:

Good to know, thank you. . Now, if there were only a place I could buy a Fail Zero charging handle by it self.

Brownell's is where I got mine, when they were in stock of course...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41014/Product/AR_15_M16_EXO_trade__COATED_CHARGING_HANDLE

...you could call and see if they plan on restocking them, or call Fail Zero and see if anyone is sending them in for coating. It doesn't say "discontinued" like the EXO lowers does, so maybe they plan on restocking.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:53:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By vick1000:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41014/Product/AR_15_M16_EXO_trade__COATED_CHARGING_HANDLE

...you could call and see if they plan on restocking them, or call Fail Zero and see if anyone is sending them in for coating. It doesn't say "discontinued" like the EXO lowers does, so maybe they plan on restocking.

I emailed and got this back.

"We have suspended our processing of aluminum components due to supplier issues. We do not provide coating services on personal components except for Glocks."

they said they are out there though at some of the online dealers, Ill have to look after work later.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:16:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By vick1000:

I emailed and got this back.

"We have suspended our processing of aluminum components due to supplier issues. We do not provide coating services on personal components except for Glocks."

they said they are out there though at some of the online dealers, Ill have to look after work later.

contact WMD Guns... pretty sure a few people at FZ broke away and started up a new company. they will coat parts for you. Haven't used their version of NiB yet but meh... its better than nothing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:00:32 AM EDT
I run my dry and without the upper coated. Runs great.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:54:27 AM EDT
I run the BCG and lube lightly. I bought it for easy clean up, not the lubricity.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:48:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2011 5:00:48 AM EDT by LadyGun]
I work for Black Rifle Arms and we use the EXO coating by FZ on all our carriers...for us its standard practice. Some of the guys did leave FZ and started the WMD Guns and I can say they are a great bunch of guys there. We highly recommend this product as clean up is a breeze. With all the testing we do...thousands of rounds....we have determined a little lube works best for us.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:01:33 PM EDT
I got the Fail Zero BCG today, it fit just as smooth as the old (Original) BCG, was not tight or loose, perfect fit. I got home at 5, and ran to the range to test this out. Its really nice , everything runs really smooth. Shot about 150rnds. Still shoots in nice tight groups at 100 yards and cleans up really nice. Shot it dry as a bone. Time to buy another and 2 charging handles as well. Found this site for the charging handles.

https://www.abarms.com/product_p/abache.htm

Top Top