Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2006 7:24:33 PM EDT
I didn't know anything about astigmatism and Eotechs or for that matter other red dots.  It seems the dot is clear but the outer ring is fairly fuzzy.  Yes, I'm looking at the target and not the reticle.

A couple of questions (again, for those that have astigmatism):

1) Like with other image issues and astigmatism with a lot of use will it become clear?

2) If not, do you get used to this over time and the sight is still recommended?

3) Do you always wear your glasses/contacts when using the eotech?

4) Since astigmatism warps the shape of objects once I zero to my eye when someone else fires my rifle will it be way off?

I haven't been to the range yet but I think I could get use to it over time.  The dealer said I could send back if I don't like it or can't get used to it.  I think I could get use to it but wanted to hear from others with the same issue I have.

Thanks in advance.  Funny thing is, I actually thought about looking in to laser surgery correction just so my eotech looks clear!  Hahahah.

-Kid
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have bad astigmatism and I don't have problems with the EOtech but with my aimpoint the dot looks like a smeared dot
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have astigmatism; I am near-sighted & I have an EoTech on my M4.

I wear my Rx glasses whenever I shoot the M4 w/ EoTech.  With this combination, I am able to shoot 110% better.  The dot and the outer ring, as you call it, is perfectly in focus.

Without my Rx glasses, the dot and ring look fuzzy/unfocused.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
A member here said that the outer ring looked like "the eye of Sauron"    A particularly apt description.

Interesting questions.  I can't see how the distortion would go away with use, but you would probably get used to it.    With corrective lenses  on, it really isn't that distracting.  You should wear glasses when shooting anyway, right?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have a mild astigmatism and a couple EOTechs.  If I don't wear my glasses the reticle looks like crap, with them on it is fine.  I have heard that the Aimpoint is slightly better for those w/ astigmatism, this is the first post where I've seen somone say otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have pretty bad astigmatism and I ifnd that concentrating ont eh target usually makes everything clearer.  IT'll still fuzz up now and then, but concentrate on teh target, not the reticle.  much easier with eotech, tripower, acogs than aimpoint or mil-dot scopes for guys like us - mil-dot scopes and aimpoints force ME (not you, or your aimpoint loving swat team neighbor) to look at the reticle, which then fuzzes up.  reticles that don't cover teh target, or bracket it (Russian and ATN type T reticle is great too) are better.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:52:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got minor astig., and always wear glasses.  I find the EOT reticle clear, at least the dot anyhow.  I don't recall how clear the ring is, as I aim with the dot, but it remains a solid one image ring.  Aimpoint's, etc., have always presented me with a figure 8 dot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont have a problem with my astigmatism and my Eotech.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the feedback.  I took mine out today for a test run.  It didn't bother me too much and I shot like a pro with it.  I think I'll be keeping it.

-Kid
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#10]
got the problem and the EOTECH the only time it is fuzzy is without my glasses foolig around inside with it,@ the range etc it is clear and great
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top