Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 7:36:37 PM EDT
I have been considering making an investment in an AR-15 for quite some time now, but i have been trying to do some research to see what I can get for my buck.  SO my question to you all is, I'm interested in spending somewhere between 500-say...1000 dollars.  What would you all recommend brandwise and other such specificaitons for this price range (somewhere in between i'm hoping)

So whomever whats to take a minute or so and reply to this that would be awesome, becuase I take firearms very seriously and dont want to get scrwed over by some POS.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have been considering making an investment in an AR-15 for quite some time now, but i have been trying to do some research to see what I can get for my buck.  SO my question to you all is, I'm interested in spending somewhere between 500-say...1000 dollars.  What would you all recommend brandwise and other such specificaitons for this price range (somewhere in between i'm hoping)

So whomever whats to take a minute or so and reply to this that would be awesome, becuase I take firearms very seriously and dont want to get scrwed over by some POS.

Thanks

"FOR ALL YOU WHO KNOW WHAT UR TALKING ABOUT"

That pretty much disqualifies everybody here!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
BUSHMASTER
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#3]
vulcan
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Given the title, I don't know why I clicked on this one

Honestly, you should hang out here for a while and read up on it. there is LOTS of choices to be made, and we cant tell you whats going to work for you. If you have any really specific questions, we can help better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive heard a lot about Bushmaster.  Now here is a question, Not saying that I will but if I were to purchase a Pre-owned rifle from a gunshow or something, what should I watch out for.  I mean, ive taken apart an M-16 plenty of times but what parts wear the fastest or what are some signs that a rifle may be wearing down...at leats in critical places?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
vulcan

oh, god, NO.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#7]
of course check your barrel. Some people put shot out M-16 barrels on their rifles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It would be helpful to know what you intend to use this rifle for. Will it be a casual weekend plinker, a hunting rig, a long range target rig, a SHTF zombie rifle, home defense etc etc etc.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You haven't said what your plans are for the rifle, what kind of needs you're trying to fill, etc.  

No one can give a proper answer until you provide some details.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quit thinking about it, just buy a brand new BUSHMASTER and you cannot go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
of course check your barrel. Some people put shot out M-16 barrels on their rifles.

Or sell them on ebay....................................................  My fault for not asking more questions, but shame on the person for advertising a usable barrel when it was OBVIOUSLY NOT!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Just buy a lower receiver and put the rest together yourself.  You'll get exactly what you want and won't have extra barrels and such laying around (like most of us do) when you are done.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just buy a lower receiver and put the rest together yourself.  You'll get exactly what you want and won't have extra barrels and such laying around (like most of us do) when you are done.

Those extra barrels are a vital part of my patented method of building new rifles without making my wife crazy

"But honey, I already have most of the parts laying around doing nothing. I might as well buy a couple more and turn them into a complete gun. Think of how much money I'm wasting by not using up what I already have..."
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quit thinking about it, just buy a brand new BUSHMASTER and you cannot go wrong.

Yupper!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#15]
BUSHMASTER!
rra or armalite a close second

just remember to get a fh and chrome lined in 5.56 chambering
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
BUSHMASTER!
rra or armalite a close second

just remember to get a fh and chrome lined in 5.56 chambering
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
People (some) are eager to pay more for Colts. Resale may be better for you if thats what you mean.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Alright, thx fer the opinions, also, I do just plan on using this as a "weekend plinker" but i want it to a nice rifle that will last me.  So do u think its possible to find a bushmaster for under 800 bucks?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yupper!!!!

Yeah, I gotta throw +1 props to my hommies on this one.

If your a noob, and got some jack to spread around.  Hook up with a NIB Bushmaster.

You won't be dissapointed, and you'll be able to sproing for some ammo to blammo!  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Alright, thx fer the opinions, also, I do just plan on using this as a "weekend plinker" but i want it to a nice rifle that will last me.  So do u think its possible to find a bushmaster for under 800 bucks?

You could easily build one for less than that - especially if you buy used stuff off the EE.

Roughly, you should be able to get a complete lower for around $300, and put together an upper for under $500.  You can also easily spend double that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yupper!!!!

If your a noob, and got some jack to spread around.  Hook up with a NIB Bushmaster.

You won't be dissapointed, and you'll be able to sproing for some ammo to blammo!  

Does Bushmaster offer rifles for less than $800 MSRP?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yupper!!!!

Does Bushmaster offer rifles for less than $800 MSRP?

Not MSRP, but my dealer right now, thru Davidson's www.galleryofguns.com has several models under $800 listed.  

You may be able to arrange something with your local dealer.  YMMV

Another way to go is DPMS, but I feel about them the way others feel about Olympic.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#23]

I don't know much yet, but I think I know enough so far to make the following statement:

Just get an AR, it doesn't particularly matter what kind or what the options are.  By the time you finish acquiring that gun and getting it set up and breaking it in at the range and breaking yourself in at the range, and all the requisite time on this board in the meantime, you'll finally figure out how you really wished you had built up the first rifle, and start working on rifle #2, and it's all downhill from there.  It seems there's no avoiding this process no matter how hard you try to do it right the first time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:10:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I think ur already SOL, since current mfg. producers are building AR's as fast as they can get then out the door, and QA has taken a back seat to no. of units produced.

Buy a LNIB or NIB pre-70 Colt SP1, (back when they used to actually finely machine the bolt carrier as oppossed to throw it in the garbage disposal for a few "go rounds".

If you're stuck on Mil Spec and had the bucks I'd say go ahead and buy a good cond. Colt M-16 class III, in the long run it will be a better move, and if you need to, you'll be able to get your money, and more, out of it.

Another point, check out the resale market on all the non-colt brands before buying. If you think someday you would be in a position of having to sell, it might make a difference in your decision.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:13:09 AM EDT
[#25]
why, get a Colt of course...wait disregard that, I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#26]
The beauty of making a decision like this is that before the ink is dry on the receipt you'll realize that you've made a tragic error and should have bought something else.  You will never feel quite right about the purchase you've made.  Eventually, you'll decide to trade the gun in on what you should have bought in the first place.  Then, immediately after that you'll wish you would have kept the first gun you bought...it really was the better gun....etc, etc, etc...with this gun decision and every other one for the rest of your life.
Such is the life of a gun nut.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Those extra barrels are a vital part of my patented method of building new rifles without making my wife crazy

Yep - and it's how my son is getting his AR.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Check out this site for a lot of good comparison info on the various manufactures, as well as TONS of other excellent AR info.

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/_whatsnew.msnw

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#29]
500 TO 1000 IS BIG LEAP. IF U WANT SOMETHING FOR 500 U GET PRETTY MUCH NOTHING ON IT AND VERY FEW COMPANIES WHO SELL FOR AROUND $500 (OLYARMS IS ONE). IF U WANT SOMETHING FOR 1000 U CAN GET ALOT MORE CHOICES. SO DO U WANT CHEAP ONE OR MIDDLE OF ROAD ONE. I WOULD GO WITH 1000 DOLLORS ONE GET ALOT MORE FOR YOUR MONEY BESIDES A GUN THAT WORKS. NOT SAYING THE CHEAP $500 DONT WORK I JUST HEAR ABOUT MORE HORROR STORIES WITH THEM.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Either BM or RRA. Those are your good choices for the money you will be spending. Colt would be fine too, but they are typically more expensive than your budget., plus they have more interest in the Mil/LE than civilian side.

Flat top
16" barrel with chrome lined chamber

I'd suggest buying from a reputable company here or from one of our high post count members on the EE than get one from a gunshow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Get both!

Er, what was the question?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Personally, I would hang on to the money for a bit, buying mags if you come across good deals (ie $10 for a good condition USGI 30, or similar).  Read through the threads on the AR-15 technical forums and get a feel and understanding of the gun, how it works, strengths, weaknesses, and most importantly quality and price.  If you get a chance, hook up with your local ARFCOMers (check Hometown forums) and shoot their guns to get a real-life feel.  Then buy your "dream" rifle.  Trust me, this way, you will save money in the long run and have a great rifle for life.  

Or you can just buy whatever, end up selling on EE to fund the next project and have between 3-6 ARs by the end of 2005
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Or you can just buy whatever, end up selling on EE to fund the next project and have between 3-6 ARs by the end of 2005

You say that like its a bad thing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#34]
When you say you wish to "INVEST in an AR" means you expect some kind of return on your money in the future.

Unless there is some kind of new ban created by the govt, the prices of AR's will probably fall a little in the coming years.  Used rifles will depreciate quicker.

If you become a proficient builder, you can potentially make a profit by buying AR kits for assembly and selling them for a markup.  Not to mention being worshipped by those of who cannot.

Otherwise, gun collecting is just a hobby.  You'll find many ways to spend money on your 'project' but in the end it will still be worth only 1/2 of what you put into it.  

With that said,  WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION!!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top