Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 10:41:25 PM EDT
A simple question from a simple man.

I am relatively unfamiliar with the AR platform.  I've owned a couple, but really didnt get a chance to study them much.  My questions is regarding the interchangability of handgaurds and float tubes.

I hope to start on a grendel build soon.  I plan to implement a 16" alexander arms upper.  This upper falls into the "Tactical" range, at least according to thier nomenclature.  It has the combat style front sight and clamshell handgaurd.

My question boils down to this:  Can I remove the front sight and replace the clamshell with a free float tube?  I have no interested in using iron sights so the front sight will never be implemented.  

I am at this point, unfamiliar with the gas system on the AR.  I'd imageine(based on what I've read and seen online) that replacing the clamshell with a float tube won't be too complex.  Do I need any special tools?  

Just to provide some additional info, I want to reconfigure based on the fact that I find the front sight and clamshell to be a bit homely, especially on a hunting rifle(which this will be).  

Essentially, I want to maintain the short barrel(16") and lose the front sight.  Is this possible?

Thanks fellas

-Boe
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
All of the answers you seek are in the build it yourself forum. It's one of the tacked threads at the top of the forum.

But the short answer is yes. You can keep the 16" barrel, install a free float tube and lose the front site.

ETA the Grendel is a great choice!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much sir.  Thats all I needed to know for now.

Thanks again.

-Boe
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top