Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2004 7:03:52 AM EDT
Fulton Armory apparently has a prototype .308 which also uses FAL mags in the works!

www.battlerifles.com/viewtopic.php?t=35819

The name "FAR-10" might ruffle a few feathers
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That would be funny as hell to see Fulton do EXACTLY what Bushmaster SHOULD have done.

FAL mag system, low initial cost of ownership {sub-$1000}, and maybe even chrome lined.....

Bushmaster did exactly what they SHOULD have done - made a reliable, accurate rifle.

As a MODERATOR, your "Bash Bushmaster" attitude is - well - annoying.  I am not sure Bushmaster, as a sponsor of this site, appreciates this.

This is NOT the AR-10 forum - go back and troll there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be funny as hell to see Fulton do EXACTLY what Bushmaster SHOULD have done.

FAL mag system, low initial cost of ownership {sub-$1000}, and maybe even chrome lined.....

Bushmaster did exactly what they SHOULD have done - made a reliable, accurate rifle.

As a MODERATOR, your "Bash Bushmaster" attitude is - well - annoying.  I am not sure Bushmaster, as a sponsor of this site, appreciates this.

Jeez chill out!  You might want to read what someone left on the home page of AR15.com  "..We've loosened our grip on forum moderation in order to allow more freedom of speech,.."  
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#5]
You 2 guys need to get a room

I doubt the Fulton gun will have a chrome lined barrel, but one can hope.

C'mon Walt, post the damn pics already!
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]
fulton is not known for cheap prices, and dpms makes parts for the far 10, hmmm

a dpms rifle with fal mags, and a fulton price, this needs to be standardised like the ar15
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#9]
if armalite would get with the program, offer better prices, cheaper mags, get rid of glitches in their guns ect, they could smoke the competition
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Fulton make a rifle?

Their shop services run as much as a new gun.

This thing won’t sell for less than 1500-2000
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Fulton make a rifle?

Their shop services run as much as a new gun.

This thing won’t sell for less than 1500-2000

thats what i was thinking, but a dpms made fulton, i thought fulton was about quality?
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paying member and 1st Amendment dude. Chill.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Pictures now posted on Battlerifles. Controls look to be more typical "AR" than the Bushie .308, and-no surprise-resembles the simpler DPMS rifle. Estimated entry price at $1,100.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#17]

NO dust cover
NO forward assist
NO brass deflector

Unprotected mag release - NOT ambi
Protected bolt release - NOT ambi

NON-vented handguard

NO provision for backup front sight

Looks like they left off a bit TOO much in an effort to make a price point.

I'm witholding judgemet.

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oh how the tone changes......

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:55:37 AM EDT
[#20]
WHY does each and EVERY AR-10-type rifle maker have to do it DIFFERENT?

We have FAL mags, modified M14 mags, and SR-25 mags...

We have forward assist, no forward assist, etc...

And NO ONE'S parts interchange, with the possible exception of DPMS & Knight's.

Contrast to the AR-15, where EVERYONE's parts interchnage,

As for the design, the AR-15 has neither an ambidextrous bolt release or mag release, and the AR's mag release is unprotected. NBD here...

But the lack of compatibility is what gets to me.... Why not make the same product as everyone else?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#22]
That name cracks me up.

FAR-10
FAR-TEN
Fartin'

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#23]
add and i will grab

ejection port cover
mag release rail/fence
brass deflector
ability to use a yhm, or knights ff rail handguard
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#24]
also needs a barrel that is heavy out past the gas block
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

We hope to bring the base package in at 1100 or so

So much for the price...

What is it about 308 semis that makes them invariably command a $1000+ price unless made in Russia or re-made by CAI/Hesse/etc?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#26]
for 1100 i will go for the used armalite
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Actually, I like to see some design differences.

The AR-10 has obviously got some room for improvement, primarily in the magazine/reliability arena. Knight has priced themselves out of most folk's reach. $3000-7000 , but most agree they are a damned fine gun. They SHOULD be.

I think Bushmaster is to be commended in the design regard. The BM 308 has a lot of neat, innovative features. Are they better? I haven't shot one yet. I think lefties might be better served with a BM 308. I think the Bushies biggest flaw is its introductory pricing. The DPMS has a more attractive price, but at the expense of some features. The FAR-10 is going down this road as well.

I don't see any of the above replacing my M1As in utility, although my SR25 sure is purdy
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm confused.  Looking at the pics it seems to use an AR type mag release.  Wonder if this means a slot will have to be milled in the FAL mags.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Just like the DPMS rifle, it needs a brass deflector and a port door. I just can't dig an AR type with out these features. So far IMHO the Armalite and SR-25 remain true to the "AR"  design.

I call it close but no cigar...
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm confused.  Looking at the pics it seems to use an AR type mag release.  Wonder if this means a slot will have to be milled in the FAL mags.

No.

It's probably like the BAR-10 mag release - an articulating catch at the rear of the mag well to engage the FAL mag, operated by a mag release that looks like a standard AR mag release.

BTW:  The BAR-10 DOES have ejection port cover, brass deflector, forward assist and is ambidextrous.

Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm interested in the FA one. Nice price for what should be a tack driver and plenty of mags out there.....

I don't see Armalite lowering the price of their mags below $25, but would be very pleased if they did.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#33]
... Competition = Goodness

... +1 for FAL mags, but I'd imagine when the AWB sunsets, AR10 mag manufacturers may flourish as well
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I doubt the Fulton gun will have a chrome lined barrel, but one can hope.

Or be anywhere near $1000
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If that's $1100.00 retail I'm sure most dealers can get it to you for $850 to $950.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#36]
If (& I Mean If) it comes in around $1100,  They will not be able to keep them in stock!
Fultons reputation & Uses FAL Mags, All it needs is a chrome bore
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Why is everyone still hung up on the forward assist and the dust cover?  Both those devices are as useless as tits on a boar.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Why is everyone still hung up on the forward assist and the dust cover?  Both those devices are as useless as tits on a boar.

For a weapon that will be used in the field, the dust cover keeps dirt, sand, "mud, blood and beer" out of the action.

The forward assist is useful after performing  a chamber check to assure the bolt is fully back in battery.

If you don't need them - no sweat.  If you need them and don't have them - sweat.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:30:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Out of the many many thousands of rounds that I have put through several different ARs, inlcuding an M-16 I have only used the foward assist about twice. I have  never needed it  for my AR-10 and doubt that I will.

I'm just hung up on the brass deflector and port door. It's needed!
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For a weapon that will be used in the field, the dust cover keeps dirt, sand, "mud, blood and beer" out of the action.

The forward assist is useful after performing  a chamber check to assure the bolt is fully back in battery.

If you don't need them - no sweat.  If you need them and don't have them - sweat.

Funny how the FAL never needed either.

Personally, if I have a round that won't chamber, the last thing I'm going to do is smack the hell out of a forward assist.  I'm going to yank the charging handle to get that round out of there and get one that will chamber.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#42]
The AR10 specs are still protected, if I recall correctly.  That's why there are these many variations.....

Well, the dual use mag bodies are out there for the AR10...granted only as an upgrade.  Someone will proboably sell them as new as soon as it is leagal.  But, is the company making that mag body the only one and if so, do they have a patent on it???  If it has a patent, then I would say don't expect new mags to run any lower then $30.00  (LOL- $29.95)......

Dedicated AR10 mags, I say $25.00 new......
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#43]
man you need to shop around I got my a4 brand new for $1050

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:57:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Personally, if I have a round that won't chamber, the last thing I'm going to do is smack the hell out of a forward assist.  I'm going to yank the charging handle to get that round out of there and get one that will chamber.

Which is precisely what Eugene Stoner intended when he objected to the forward assist in the first place.  Why turn an easily cleared jam into a potentially fatal one by slamming the offending round home.  As for a press check, I just push on the bolt before closing the dust cover.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

funny now that you mention it the ak and it's variants don't have dust covers either and aresome of the most reliable weapons in the world (can you say middle east ?)
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

funny now that you mention it the ak and it's variants don't have dust covers either and aresome of the most reliable weapons in the world (can you say middle east ?)

I thought the safety (When on safe) served that function on AK type weapons.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The upper looks like an extrusion and the lower looks cast.  

You're right on the upper.  I think that they just took their existing 'Accutron' upper and made it a little longer.
Looks the same to me, and they are fugly, IMO.  That may change before they go into production.  
Per Clint, the lowers are forged, and I think they look VERY nice.

Fulton do not plan on offering a chrome-lined barrel, at least not in the beginning.

The mags are slotted, AR-10 style.

I didn't look to see how the bolt hold open operates, or what trip it.

The one I handled had a BadgerOrd tube on it - presumably an AR10 model.  (And a leapers scope!)

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW:  The BAR-10 DOES have ...forward assist...

See anything missing from the photo???  Apparently Stoner {KAC} knows something we don't....

Sigh.  Some day...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone notice the undersized trigger opening? Not for use with gloves or fatphuck hands!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top