Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 7:36:39 PM EDT
First of all I would like to introduce myself a bit.  I've been lurking for some time now, and I have come down with a bad case of the black rifle disease. h

That said, I have a few questions about the build itself.  I'm looking at bulding a M4 carbine style weapon, but I'm undecided about barrel length.  I am debating between a 14.5" or a 16" barrel.  I want the rifle to be accurate a reasonable range, but this is no 600 yard gun.  Can I get some opinions on the matter?  

Could I get some input on my shopping list for the gun?  So far I'm looking at a Bushmaster A3 upper as well as the Bushmaster lower.  Like said, barrel assembly is still undecided, but I was thinking bushmaster for that as well.  Might I want something with a little faster twist, or is 1:9 enough?  Stock will most likely be a fiberlight telescoping unit, and once the rifle is built I would like to equip it with a EoTech 552 sight.  So how does this build sound, any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help, I think I'm here to stay!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome this is a great site glad to have you.  There is a ton of info on building your own it's really easy and your sure to do it more that once.  I have no coments on what style to build I say get one of each but I think that you'll just waste money using Bushmaster parts. It's not that there not any good just over priced IMO.
You can get several brands of great lowers for around 90-100 my favorite is the Mega that I got from John @ Rainear Arms for $89 shipped. Stag, Double Star, RRA and about a dozen more can be had for around the same price.   Most of the kits have uppers that are pre built and are checked for head space and even though I've changed barrels it's much easier to buy this way.  My last build for my dad was a Mega lower with a J&T CAR kit that set me back just under $600 to complete. Good luck
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with the 16" so you do not have a perm FH. This will be a promlem if you ever want to change your gas block or Free Float your barrel. Bushmaster is a good company, one of the best.  Most of bushy's barrels are 1/9, unless you want  some thing special. The 1/9 will shoot most bullets well.
Front flip sights are nice, they don't get in your EOTech window. Some like it others hate it. But with the 14.5 barrel you will have a hard timechanging it out.

Invisiblesoul
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top