Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2003 2:35:42 PM EDT
I'm working on a A3 postban carbine project, and need some advice.

1. What is the difference between the Commercial and the Military model, besides the lack of delta ring on the M model. Are there any advantages to the M design?

2. How hard it to install either? Do either require the removal of the barrel/front sight?

3. I've seen some different colors (green,grey). Are these options, or people just painting theirs? Where can i find colored ones at? URL?

4. Whats the difference between these two? Which one do i want preferably? (I'm planning on buying an eotech, but i don't nessessarily want to co-witness)
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/arms-sir50.asp
AND
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/handguards/arms-sir45-c.asp

5. Where can i find one on the web new and relatively cheap? List website addresses please.

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not currently own an ARMS SIR, but plan to soon. Here's what I've gathered:

1. No difference except for lack of delta ring.

2. No barrel or sight removal is necessary.

3. You can buy them in different colors.

5. Try [url=www.mstn.biz]MSTN[/url] for starters. There are many places selling them, but I don't have web addresses handy at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
easy to install.  i have the C model which is easy to install.  if you ever want to switch back to normal handguards the C model is the one to have.  check the EE for the different models/colors and for good (used) deals.  i got mine (#46C)for $329 on there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, keep them coming...

M4Madness, i can't find any SIRs on that site.

How hard is it to install the M model?

Anyone know where i can find the green ones?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
the M is supposed to be easy to install.  all you have to do is dremel the delta ring off.  there were a few dealers in the EE that had the green ones.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Go "C" model!  No cutting anything makes easier instalation.  The difference in look is very minimal IMO!  Function is identical!  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually recomend getting the C model as well. It is makes no permanent modification to the gun. I also really like the ARMS #50 SIR. I think it is the way to go. Slimline, bi-level, less expensive. It offers anything you could really need. If you want the #50 in green, contact Ned at MSP, I know for a fact he has some. [url]http://www.mountsplus.com/[/url]

Unless you get one used, there really is no cheap place to get them. Profit margin on ARMS stuff, ESPECIALLY the SIR systems, are extremely low. Dealer cost and retail are very close to being the same.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you guys know about the added weight by any chance?
How much heavier would it become once i added it?
Thanks alot!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
It was a little over twice that of my M4 forearm.I thought i was not going to like that,but if you are already starting with a lighter barrel like M-4 contour it isnt that noticible to my surprise.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with a #50 and never look back.

The weight is not that much. I held a #45C in one hand and a set of Colt M4 handguards in the other. The weight is very slight.

Here is what mine looks like (I love posting pics of this rifle).
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054105.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
How is the Slimline different?
It's just thinner right? How much?
Thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top