Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2005 3:12:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 3:29:34 AM EDT by pulpsmack]
These are brand new rifles so I wouldn't expect many stories/problems in terms of repair right now, but a thought on the subject just occured to me. Colt's blatently anti-civillian rifles might be a liability waiver to them in more ways than politics alone. I assume that LE armorers work on LE rifles, or departments ship their LE rifles to Colt for warranty work and the rifles are returned to the dept. It could stand to reason then that since Colt intended those rifles to LEs only, and should a civillian who paid that God-awful premium require repairs on that rifle, Colt could balk on the warranty and refuse warranty work on LE rifles owned by non LE personnel.

Thinking for a second about the company's bottom line, this is a great loophole to wrangle away from having to shell out for any warranty/service work required at Colt's expense. Moreover, you have the political ramifications. If Leroy Smith took a Colt match rifle to work for a payback session, Colt would defend itself with the line that the only rifles they release to the public are intended for target practice ONLY. If it was a 6520 however, Colt would fall behind the defense that they don't intend their rifles to be sold to the public and the fault goes to the irresponsible merchant. If Colt repairs ONE such rifle in "civillian" hands, it is a tacit consent about public sales of such rifles, undermining the aforementioned defense. Therefore it would be advantageous for Colt NOT to warranty their work in such cases for a few reasons.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:17:52 AM EDT
Doesn't matter. Most of us can make our own repairs. I have never used Bushmaster, RRA, Armalite, Oly Arms or Colt's customer service unless I am ordering parts from them.

At least for me that is my own experience.

Max
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:19:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 3:32:13 AM EDT by pulpsmack]
I wouldn't think that so for most of us actually, particularly so if there was a (very expensive) manufacturing defect in the rifle that would/should warrant replacement at the company's expense. If the intent was to buy a shooter (not a collector), I would certainly reconsider paying such a hefty sum for a rifle with no warranty (or a strong possiblilty thereof).
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:32:00 AM EDT
I heard a romur that Colt is going to stop making civilian ar-15's all together. I don't know if it is true or not.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:53:07 AM EDT
It is worse then that, if you turn in a LEO for warranty work Colt's will call the ATF and report you for a NFA violation. That is why they put full auto parts in them, just so they could get everyone busted. It is all part of a plot, think Nixon has something to do with it?

Who cares anyhow, Vulcan is the current supplier of the "Special" Forces, they are issued with Mattel furniture.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 6:00:17 AM EDT by _DR]

Originally Posted By Ekie:
It is worse then that, if you turn in a LEO for warranty work Colt's will call the ATF and report you for a NFA violation. That is why they put full auto parts in them, just so they could get everyone busted. It is all part of a plot, think Nixon has something to do with it?

Who cares anyhow, Vulcan is the current supplier of the "Special" Forces, they are issued with Mattel furniture.

Ekie, as an aside, I was flipping through the Sportsmans Guide mailout catalog yesterday, and I noticed complete AR15 type uppers for sale. Advertised as "100% Mil-spec, what the military uses currently, etc,etc. Curious, I scanned again. VULCAN! They were vulcan Arms uppers.

OK cheap discount house, but sucks still the same. I wonder how many will buy these unknowingly.
The worst part is they were just as expensive as value priced quality uppers like RRA and Stag.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:11:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By _DR:

Originally Posted By Ekie:

Ekie, as an aside, I was flipping through the Sportsmans Guide mailout catalog yesterday, and I noticed complete AR15 type uppers for sale. Advertised as "100% Mil-spec, what the military uses currently, etc,etc. Curious, I scanned again. VULCAN! They were vulcan Arms uppers.

OK cheap discount house, but sucks still the same. I wonder how many will buy these unknowingly.
The worst part is they were just as expensive as value priced quality uppers like RRA and Stag.

Yep, just confirms my info, those Vulcan uppers are "Special". Nothing about Mattel handguards though?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:14:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pulpsmack:
These are brand new rifles so I wouldn't expect many stories/problems in terms of repair right now, but a thought on the subject just occured to me. Colt's blatently anti-civillian rifles might be a liability waiver to them in more ways than politics alone. I assume that LE armorers work on LE rifles, or departments ship their LE rifles to Colt for warranty work and the rifles are returned to the dept. It could stand to reason then that since Colt intended those rifles to LEs only, and should a civillian who paid that God-awful premium require repairs on that rifle, Colt could balk on the warranty and refuse warranty work on LE rifles owned by non LE personnel.

Thinking for a second about the company's bottom line, this is a great loophole to wrangle away from having to shell out for any warranty/service work required at Colt's expense. Moreover, you have the political ramifications. If Leroy Smith took a Colt match rifle to work for a payback session, Colt would defend itself with the line that the only rifles they release to the public are intended for target practice ONLY. If it was a 6520 however, Colt would fall behind the defense that they don't intend their rifles to be sold to the public and the fault goes to the irresponsible merchant. If Colt repairs ONE such rifle in "civillian" hands, it is a tacit consent about public sales of such rifles, undermining the aforementioned defense. Therefore it would be advantageous for Colt NOT to warranty their work in such cases for a few reasons.

Your thoughts?

Dont buy Colt and you wont have to deal with their bullshit. Easy enough
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:19:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Variablebinary:

Your thoughts?

Tell us how you really feel about Colt
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:20:29 AM EDT

Your thoughts?

Colt doesn't really care who you are when you send in a rifle for repairs. If you have a Colt rifle, you are entitled to the Colt warranty.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:24:59 AM EDT
I filled out the warranty card on my 6920, if it needs major repairs I'll send it in and expect them to fix it. There was a 2 or 3 week gap after the AWB and when their policy came into effect.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:30:20 AM EDT
I haven't seen a Colt that broke, yet. I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:34:21 AM EDT
Colt's are PERFECT and never need repair. ..............
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:49:04 AM EDT

Your thoughts?

That is what the Germans want you to think.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:54:02 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:59:27 AM EDT

Your thoughts?

That's a nice conspiracy theory you've got there, but it can be blown out of the water with a simple phone call to Colt. They have stated time and time again that they will happily service LEO weapons in civilian hands-it was a non-issue in 1994 and it's a non-issue in 2005.

Hope I didn't wrinkle anyones tinfoil
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:01:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 7:01:47 AM EDT by Ekie]

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
That's a nice conspiracy theory you've got there, but it can be blown out of the water with a simple phone call to Colt. They have stated time and time again that they will happily service LEO weapons in civilian hands-it was a non-issue in 1994 and it's a non-issue in 2005.

It was just getting fun, and you go and ruin it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:14:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

Your thoughts?

Our excursion into the Twilight Zone is now over.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:41:58 AM EDT

Your thoughts?

www.colt.com www.coltsmfg.com
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:47:35 AM EDT
Did you spend a lot of time coming up with this notion?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:36:45 AM EDT
Colt is on my M4 Receiver since it is used to fight terror I am glad that we still have companies like Colt who are not afraid to stay in America and make great firearms. I would take any American made firearm to war if the Army would let me. I sure think the M4 is a lot more useful than the M9 I have hanging on my thigh. We all appreciate that the Senate passed the no bullshit law suits bill. Lets hope that all 50 states get real and kiss the 2nd ammendment since that is what will really protect America. This is especially true since so many of us are now fighting for world-wide freedom in other countries. God bless America and may you all shoot expert some day you may really need it.

Very respectfully,
David
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:46:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 3:56:25 PM EDT by _DR]
No customer service for LE Colts in the hands of John Q. Public?

Funny, the nice lady at Colt Customer Service was more than willing to answer the questions I had about my LE Colt. They even called me back. I'm not LE.

I'd say this is an unfounded notion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:47:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARMY30YEARSPLUS:
Colt is on my M4 Receiver since it is used to fight terror I am glad that we still have companies like Colt who are not afraid to stay in America and make great firearms. I would take any American made firearm to war if the Army would let me. I sure think the M4 is a lot more useful than the M9 I have hanging on my thigh. We all appreciate that the Senate passed the no bullshit law suits bill. Lets hope that all 50 states get real and kiss the 2nd ammendment since that is what will really protect America. This is especially true since so many of us are now fighting for world-wide freedom in other countries. God bless America and may you all shoot expert some day you may really need it.

Very respectfully,
David

Good point. I bet Colt has killed more terrorists than any other firearm company. God bless Colt!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:21:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Let me help, now you have seen 3.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:25:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:

I wonder if a rifle would continue to function normally with those bolts in the short term.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:41:35 AM EDT

Your thoughts?

I assume that your post is serious. I believe the answer is no, Colt could not do so. Colt has certain legal and contractual obligations and, best case scenario, it would have to specifically disclaim warranties for work on LEO rifles in the hands of non-LEOs. That disclaimer likely would not stand up in court. The law over the last few years has recognized that once a product enters the stream of commerce, it may move on to anaother owner.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:43:07 AM EDT

img273.imageshack.us/img273/4213/brokenboltcleanedup6yo.jpg

Stickman, this pic has been in another post. Assuming that the bolts in question are Colt bolts (and I'm not questioning your honesty or integrity here), we don't know the conditions under which the bolts failed. The pic says little, if anything.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:46:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 9:47:39 AM EDT by Variablebinary]

Standing by for the "proves nothing" posts.

There are sure to be a few really fast
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:49:50 AM EDT

See above.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:52:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 9:53:20 AM EDT by Variablebinary]

Originally Posted By Slash:

See above.

like Clockwork
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:04:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 3:58:56 PM EDT by _DR]

Why is it that everyone always gets so excited about Colt topics?
Ain't nothing but a thing
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:34:30 AM EDT
Well, here is Colt's Lifetime Warranty Statement - nothing in it about exclusions for LEO firearms owned by non_LE's

Colt will repair any factory defective part(s) of your Colt firearm, but cosmetic corrections and grip replacement will be made only during the first year, in accordance with the Colt Warranty Statement which you will find in your Colt instruction manual.

LIMITATIONS
This agreement will not apply to your Colt firearm when it is altered, abused, willfully damaged or damaged by overpressure ammunition. Moreover, this agreement will not apply to those parts of your Colt firearm which have been “tuned” or “gunsmithed” for performance other than customized tuning and other services provided by Colt Custom Gun Shop.
This agreement is not transferable; its benefits apply only to the original retail purchaser for firearms manufactured after 1996.

HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE
To obtain service for your Colt firearm, make sure it is NOT LOADED and send it by UPS to the Colt Factory.
Use the following address:
CMC (Attention Product Service) 25 Talcott Road, West Hartford, CT 06110
Before shipping your firearm, read and follow the procedure described in your Colt Instruction Manual. Where local laws require it, ship only via a current FFL holder. Do not ship a firearm whose serial number cannot be read.

SAFETY
Always read and follow the instruction manuals that accompany each firearm. Ask your law enforcement agencies about gun ownership and personal defense laws. Instruction manuals are available on request. Be a safe shooter never chamber a round until you are ready to shoot.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:38:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 5Shot:
Well, here is Colt's Lifetime Warranty Statement - nothing in it about exclusions for LEO firearms owned by non_LE's

Colt will repair any factory defective part(s) of your Colt firearm, but cosmetic corrections and grip replacement will be made only during the first year, in accordance with the Colt Warranty Statement which you will find in your Colt instruction manual.

LIMITATIONS
This agreement will not apply to your Colt firearm when it is altered, abused, willfully damaged or damaged by overpressure ammunition. Moreover, this agreement will not apply to those parts of your Colt firearm which have been “tuned” or “gunsmithed” for performance other than customized tuning and other services provided by Colt Custom Gun Shop.
This agreement is not transferable; its benefits apply only to the original retail purchaser for firearms manufactured after 1996.

HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE
To obtain service for your Colt firearm, make sure it is NOT LOADED and send it by UPS to the Colt Factory.
Use the following address:
CMC (Attention Product Service) 25 Talcott Road, West Hartford, CT 06110
Before shipping your firearm, read and follow the procedure described in your Colt Instruction Manual. Where local laws require it, ship only via a current FFL holder. Do not ship a firearm whose serial number cannot be read.

SAFETY
Always read and follow the instruction manuals that accompany each firearm. Ask your law enforcement agencies about gun ownership and personal defense laws. Instruction manuals are available on request. Be a safe shooter never chamber a round until you are ready to shoot.

That's because there is no exclusion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:07:22 PM EDT

[colt worshipper]This proves absolutely nothing[/colt worshipper]

HS1
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:17:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
I filled out the warranty card on my 6920, if it needs major repairs I'll send it in and expect them to fix it. There was a 2 or 3 week gap after the AWB and when their policy came into effect.

ditto
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 12:46:52 PM EDT by FREEFALLE7]
Colts break just like the rest of them. The big thing about the Colt is the MPC testing on the barrel and bolt(not worth the extra $400 to me).

When I was a Drill SGT the Colts went down just as much as the FN's(hammer springs. broken bolts, barrel extensions headspace going bad).

Belive me in my 14 yrs in the Army I have seen Colt M16/4s break.

Colt makes a excellent weapon as does RRA and Bushmaster.

I have owned all 3 with no issues except them damn tight RRA lowers, but after 100rd they loosen up.

FREE

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:39:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 1:42:13 PM EDT by Kisara]
Last month I sent in a 1998 heavily used LE6920 that never had its registration card sent in. They had no idea whether I was the original owner or if it had been through several owners by now. Other than paying shipping to get it there, Colt fixed it and sent it back, 100% free. All they had was my name and USA address, and no other info. They realized their QC mistake from the 90's and took care of it, no questions asked. Took about 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:51:17 PM EDT

Very respectfully,
David

Good point. I bet Colt has killed more terrorists than any other firearm company. God bless Colt!

What about rocks and sticks?

God bless Granite and Hickory!

WIZZO

BTW, Stickman just provided proof that everything breaks, even Colt's Holy Bolts.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:55:25 PM EDT

Very respectfully,
David

I imagine IMI has them beat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:38:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Very respectfully,
David

I imagine IMI has them beat.

I was thinking US companies, but yeah, IMI has them beat. Good point.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:52:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 7:09:17 PM EDT by Bama-Shooter]

Originally Posted By Kisara:
Last month I sent in a 1998 heavily used LE6920 that never had its registration card sent in. They had no idea whether I was the original owner or if it had been through several owners by now. Other than paying shipping to get it there, Colt fixed it and sent it back, 100% free. All they had was my name and USA address, and no other info. They realized their QC mistake from the 90's and took care of it, no questions asked. Took about 2 weeks.

What was wrong with it?

ETA: I'm not trying to start something. Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:02:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
Colts break just like the rest of them. The big thing about the Colt is the MPC testing on the barrel and bolt(not worth the extra $400 to me).

When I was a Drill SGT the Colts went down just as much as the FN's(hammer springs. broken bolts, barrel extensions headspace going bad).

Belive me in my 14 yrs in the Army I have seen Colt M16/4s break.

Colt makes a excellent weapon as does RRA and Bushmaster.

I have owned all 3 with no issues except them damn tight RRA lowers, but after 100rd they loosen up.

FREE

Yep, anything mechanical can fail, no doubt about that.
That's when having a good unit level armorer makes a difference.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:54:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 4:54:58 PM EDT by El_Abogado]
Let us not forget the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

IBTL.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:10:56 PM EDT
I'm not worried. Everyone knows that civillian's can't buy Mil/LE anymore. It's a Colt conspiracy with Hillary to implement gun contol. I read all about it on this forum, so it's gotta be true.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get one before Colt implemented their current policy and it came with a tin hat in the accessory kit. I just put the hat on when reading these threads and I get a warm feeling all over. Oops, I may have pissed my pants.

I'm just hoping I can shoot several hundred thousand rounds before I have to do any maintance. Otherwise, it will be just like all the rest.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:47:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kisara:

What was wrong with it?

+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:53:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 7:59:50 PM EDT by jimtash9]
I bought a Colt barrel from Specialized Armament and I didn't realize that the sling swivel wasn't already attached. Anyway, I contacted Colt about it and after giving them the serial number off of my SP-1, they told me to send it in. To my surprise, the parts and labor were absolutely FREE. And the barrel I had them work on is a 1/7 twist 16" M4 profile with a bayonet lug and flash hider and they didn't give me an ounce of grief. I am totally satisfied with their customer service and I think a lot of the hysteria being raised in this thread is based more on what some of the Colt bashers spread around rather than facts.

Edited to add: Any company that will work on a product of theirs that is 30 years old and do it for free says a lot of good things about them. Colt is one such company.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:09:23 PM EDT
Ranger Batt has colt M4s, we can only assume they have colt bolts. Last I checked they break >80 a year out of maybe 500-600 guns. Of course this proves nothing as I'm just saying this, and my saying I've seen this, AND the documentation, AND the brief to the socom commander on the subject is heresay and unverifiable.

BTW I believe colts are the most reliable ar/m16/m4 there are.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:49:02 PM EDT

What was wrong with it?
ETA: I'm not trying to start something. Just curious.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=191733
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:17:44 PM EDT
it seems the colt haters get into this crap more than the colt lovers.

you find these threads, and there are more colt haters first, no one can just let a colt topic go, they always have to come in and make a sarcastic comment, then when someone defends colt, they get pissy.

why bother? if you don't want a colt don't buy one, exceptions are everywhere with everything... live with it.

everybody has a 'someone i know had this and that' story.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:02:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By what_stanger:

if you don't want a colt don't buy one, exceptions are everywhere with everything... live with it.

Yep
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:01:54 AM EDT
Colt is currently at that place where S&W was several years ago.

I only hope that Colt rises from the ashes with such elegance.

The Paranoia is real, and stems from alienation.

The alienation comes from prerceived threat.

That threat is our own distrust of Government.

It's fitting that Colt be at the center of the matter thanks to their unique position in our nations history.

Our disgust and distrust, and frankly our emotions of the matter, are directly related to wishing things weren't so.

S&W turned around after the Brits bailed and they were purchased by Americans.

Colt still has that option.

The problem is that Colt is a part of our fiber as a people, and the current management ain't gotta clue.

OUR culture that is directly related to Colt being a viable business will be the difference in the end.

The profit margins between civvie sales and govt. sales are huge.

Lets hope the idiots pay attention.

All it will take is a Manufacturer that will duplicate Colt QC/QC and standards and serve the populace at large, and Colt will be finished.

From what I know, several are gearing up to do just that.

There is a void.
It will be filled.

S-28

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top