Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2017 3:38:30 PM EDT

I used a 30mm Sunlite bike seat clamp on my SB tube to prevent the brace from slipping forward. Unfortunately, it does nothing for rotation.  It would be super easy to make something that stops forward and rotational movement.  No idea why no one's come out with something like that for the SBM4 yet.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice idea with the clamp. Are you having issues with the brace turning?
What buffer tube are you using?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice idea with the clamp. Are you having issues with the brace turning?
What buffer tube are you using?
View Quote
I've used the KAK super sig tube, BCM, and this is an SB tube (it's longer with a qd in the back).
Unless you use some sort of adhesive, the SB braces will rotate with use. Odin and Phase5 have anti-rotation/slip devices for the original Signed Brace, but not for the SBM4, unfortunately.

Oh, and before you try this, make sure the lip of the tube is greater than the lip of the bike clamp. This wouldn't work well on a BCM tube for example. The clamp would have to be modified
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a lot of options out there for pistol buffer tubes that are oversized enough to prevent rotation.

Here's one: link
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You can always wrap black electrical tape around the buffer tube to help the brace fit tighter.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are a lot of options out there for pistol buffer tubes that are oversized enough to prevent rotation.

Here's one: link
View Quote
I've tried 1.2" and 1.25" tubes and they will all allow the brace to rotate when the pistol's actually used for drills and stuff.

I might try some Loctite 406 later on. It's expensive for a glue though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Skip the electrial tape and get some Friction tape, mine never moved or rotated after I wrapped it with that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Skip the electrial tape and get some Friction tape, mine never moved or rotated after I wrapped it with that.
View Quote
Like traction or skateboard tape?
I do have a few sheets of that lying around hmm.  It's aggressive af though. It'd probably tear up my brace a bit before I got it on.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I always used electrical tape which worked great.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:45:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Use golf club grip tape. Directions
Might have to cut to get off.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Use golf club grip tape. Directions
Might have to cut to get off.
View Quote
Interesting. I'll probably order some. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Fabric tape like a gaffers is pretty good. Kapton tape that's .006" thick might be good too but haven't tried it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to be a negative Nelly, but you might want to be careful with any "incidental" shouldering of this in public. I do believe this would be exactly the sort of thing that would be considered "modifications", as described in the last ATF letter regarding braces, that might make shouldering it flat-out illegal. The last letter basically said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Incidental shouldering is fine as long as you haven't modified or altered the brace in any way."

I personally don't care, and think it's ridiculous and none of anyone's business how you use your brace, but just something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I do have a few sheets of that lying around hmm.  It's aggressive af though. It'd probably tear up my brace a bit before I got it on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, friction tape is more of fabric and is generally right next to electrical tape at your local hardware store.  It works very well if you want it to stay put.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not to be a negative Nelly, but you might want to be careful with any "incidental" shouldering of this in public. I do believe this would be exactly the sort of thing that would be considered "modifications", as described in the last ATF letter regarding braces, that might make shouldering it flat-out illegal. The last letter basically said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Incidental shouldering is fine as long as you haven't modified or altered the brace in any way."

I personally don't care, and think it's ridiculous and none of anyone's business how you use your brace, but just something to keep in mind.
View Quote
I appreciate the heads up.
I think I'd be okay as I'm not modifying or altering the brace in any way. It's no different than using a KAK super sig tube.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:53:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I appreciate the heads up.
I think I'd be okay as I'm not modifying or altering the brace in any way. It's no different than using a KAK super sig tube.
View Quote
In actual practice/function, I'd agree; not really any different from a KAK Super Sig or similar. Hopefully you're exactly right and it would be treated the same. On the other hand, you never really know how an individual LEO might choose to interpret it.

Just to be clear, I'm definitely not one of the type who seems to delight in pointing out something might be questionable. Nonetheless, I figured I'd mention it just to be on the safe side. Unfortunate that law abiding citizens have to worry about a predatory bureaucracy that is ready and willing to destroy us and take our freedom, even when there is clearly no criminal intent, over meaningless technicalities. Yet, all too often that seems to be how things stand.

Either way, it's a good idea to save on having to buy a Super Sig or the like.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:24:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/GJXTve0.jpg

I used a 30mm Sunlite bike seat clamp on my SB tube to prevent the brace from slipping forward. Unfortunately, it does nothing for rotation.  It would be super easy to make something that stops forward and rotational movement.  No idea why no one's come out with something like that for the SBM4 yet.
View Quote
You can always wrap paracord in the gap.   With it pulled tight and wrapped tight it's not going to collapse and you always have extra paracord.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:27:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can always wrap black electrical tape around the buffer tube to help the brace fit tighter.
View Quote
Black electrical tape works perfectly. You don't need any special tape, that's just gonna make it harder to install and remove. Just wrap it nice and smooth, about two or three layers, and slip the brace over it. No need for a clamp if you get the right amount of tape it will be tight and as solid as you'll ever need it. If it isn't, just add another layer. It works so good that even Sig recommends this method.

I have a Phase 5 tube made just for the Sig brace and it works great. But there's nothing wrong with the tape, I actually think I might prefer it because of the simplicity and weight savings. I recommend you give it a try before spending more.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#18]
How long is the sb tube?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How long is the sb tube?
View Quote
8.3", which is a little over an inch longer than standard.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Someone makes an anti rotational clamp for an SB brace but I can't remember off the top of my head who it is. I think it was around $70.

I just used some 3M adhesive spray.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Someone makes an anti rotational clamp for an SB brace but I can't remember off the top of my head who it is. I think it was around $70.

I just used some 3M adhesive spray.
View Quote
Odin and Phase 5, but they're only for the original SB15
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#22]
If it is a tight fit use double sided golf grip tape. It there is a little play try atv/motocross handgrip glue. You need to Ron Popiel that thing and "Set it and forget it!"
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Hairspray....the cheaper the better, it will be more sticky.
Spray it on the tube, slide on brace while still wet and let it set.
It should work.....YMMV
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top