Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2009 11:05:34 AM EDT
Will a chrome line bore 'rust', get pitting, etc...

Have a ton of crap in one of my barrels that I can't seem to get out. Scrubbed the hell out of it with everything I have and it doesn't seem to get any better. Beginning to wonder if it's more than just 'fouling'.

Haven't shot it in awhile, so I don't know if accuracy is affected....and no, there hasn't been any 'moisture' in the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Will a chrome line bore 'rust', get pitting, etc...

Have a ton of crap in one of my barrels that I can't seem to get out. Scrubbed the hell out of it with everything I have and it doesn't seem to get any better. Beginning to wonder if it's more than just 'fouling'.

Haven't shot it in awhile, so I don't know if accuracy is affected....and no, there hasn't been any 'moisture' in the barrel.

Chrome-lined barrels are the most durable (i.e. least likely to corrode).  How and what are you using to clean it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Chromed bores will rust, it just takes longer for them to go bad when abused vs plain steel. BSW

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know if "Chrome" rusts or NOT.  Stainless Steel will rust, it just rusts at a much much slower rate than regular steel.

Seen a post saying that when a chrome line barrel wears out, the chrome can start to flake off, which really kills the accuracy.  If that is true (never experienced it, but it makes sense it could eventually happen), it would expose the steel underneath and rust would start very easily.

You don't need rust from weather to get pitting either, corrosive ammo, cleaners and chemicals could cause it, as well as pressure and heat.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The rifle isn't that old and I am the first owner. It's had less than 1K rounds through it and has not been abused, left outside, etc...

I've tried Hoppe's #9, Boretech, and Breakfree. I've used nylon and brass brushes, from both my Dewey and Otis. I've gone through countless patches...

Guess I need to try something else....
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Carb cleaner.  Don't get it on plastic and be sure to re oil any parts it has stripped the oils out of including the barrel.  An oiled patch is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The rifle isn't that old and I am the first owner. It's had less than 1K rounds through it and has not been abused, left outside, etc...

I've tried Hoppe's #9, Boretech, and Breakfree. I've used nylon and brass brushes, from both my Dewey and Otis. I've gone through countless patches...

What kind of Boretech?  If it's an aggressive copper remover, then it could be that your dissolving your brass/bronze brushes fooling you to believe that the bore is dirty.

Hoppes #9 is all you need.  With Otis, run a few soaked patches through it, followed by a few passes of a soaked brush, then a dry patch, and repeat process once more.  That's all you need!  Follow up with a lightly soaked patch of CLP if desired.  You will never get the bore clean to the point where the patches come out white, only light grey at best.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of Boretech?  If it's an aggressive copper remover, then it could be that your dissolving your brass/bronze brushes fooling you to believe that the bore is dirty.

Hoppes #9 is all you need.  With Otis, run a few soaked patches through it, followed by a few passes of a soaked brush, then a dry patch, and repeat process once more.  That's all you need!  Follow up with a lightly soaked patch of CLP if desired.  You will never get the bore clean to the point where the patches come out white, only light grey at best.

The Boretech is for copper and I only use nylon brushes a with plastic jag while using it.

I'll pick up some more brushes solvent tomorrow. I guess it just needs more elbow grease.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=446522&page=1�

This thread may have the answer you're looking for, basically if you continually run a brush through the bore it will never get clean. Brushes collect fouling and spread it, and if they're made of brass they will be broken down by the solvent and produce even more fouling as well.

I personally only use a brush after I run an initial wet patch just to break up any hard fouling in the bore, after that I'll run a wet patch followed by a dry patch on a nickel plated (to prevent solvent erosion) jag repeatedly until dry patches are clean.

Don't know if this is the issue you are personally having but just throwing it out there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
hard chrome will rust it just going to take some abuse till it does, and stainless will too. stainless just means that it will stain LESS. learned that one day when i was loading some 416 stainless sheets on a laser table and saw bits of rust all over the place.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top