Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2003 2:48:15 PM EDT
I was all prepared to buy a set of the ARMS mounts and rings at a local gunshow a week or so ago but was kind of turned off by the inserts to adapt the 30MM rings to use a 1" scope.  I want to put a Bushnell 4200 with a 40mm objective on a flat top, and liked the idea of being able to remove and replace with no loss of zero.  Is that really true?  Do they really work that good in real life?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, plus if you get a 30mm optic some day, you will discover a modular system is already there by just taking out the incerts. However you need to remember the levers work best on mil spec rails.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
{However you need to remember the levers work best on mil spec rails.}

I would be using the mounts on a RRA flat top.  Are they close enough to Milspec to work as advertised?

Thanks,
Phil
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the ARMS#22M68 on an RRA receiver and it worked fine.

You may or may not have enough eye relief with rings directly one the rail, depending on your shooting position and the scope.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The inserts work REALLY well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Have had my 22 rings and inserts for 3 years, shot both .223 and .308 with no loss of zero.  The instructors always shake their heads when I remove my rings/scope from the rifle, I can't disagree with them that once the scope/rings/rifle system is zeroed, the scope should not be removed, but I like the ability to take it off when I need to.  They also insist there's no such a thing as QD rings that return to zero, that's probably true too but hasn't happened to me yet.
When I get a 30mm scope the rings will be ready, just remove the inserts.  3rdtk is right, modularity is great.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had the ARMS#22M68 on an RRA receiver and it worked fine.

You may or may not have enough eye relief with rings directly one the rail, depending on your shooting position and the scope.
View Quote

Is it better to buy one of the ARMS rails that the rings have a center screw mount?  I'm really open to suggestions here.  I am a big person and tend to get right up on the sights.  Matter of fact the sights are to close, I usually have to back off some to get the correct picture.  

I agree, the portability of the QD type mount is cool if it really will maintain zero.

Thanks for the information!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot nose to charging handle.  The only mounting option that works for me is an ARMS#38S-EX with 1" high rings.  This is with a Leupold scope, which requires a bit more eye relief than the 4200.  But if you crowd the sights like I do, I very much doubt rings directly on top of the reciever will work.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:09:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I understand what you are saying.  I to crowd the sights.  Right now I have the RRA one piece mount and rings on it with a Tasco 3-9.  It sets very high and is back further than is comfortable for me.  I would like to get the scope a bit lower and forward more and am thinking about a bit longer stock.  I will check out the ARMS ARMS#38S-EX. Thanks for the comments.

Phil
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got my AR carbine with #22 Med. QD's and #38S-EX. Got a burris fullfield too. The 16" looks kinda funny with the 14" rail but hey. It will shoot the eyes out of a hog at 100" yds everytime.

It has returned to zero everytime so far. I will still keep an eye on it though.

Ring adapters are no thing to worry about. They are just solid split-metal rings. I dont even notice them being there partly cause they match my ARMS hardware. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Great to hear all this. Mine should show up soon.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top