Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2007 8:33:54 AM EDT
I have a A2 model carrying handle and was thinking of putting a low power scope on it since my old eyes ain't what they used to be.

My rifle is a Bushmaster M-4A2 Type with 14.5" bbl., thinking of mounting a Leupold VX-II 1-4x20 on it for hunting groundhogs ect. at ranges from 25-200yds.

Can anyone give me any info on these A.R.M.S. #2 base? ie: Are they secure/stay tight mounted on the carrying handle, do they retain zero after taking off and putting them back on again, are they worth a damn in general?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a couple of problems with this style carry handle mount.

- They raise the scope so high that it's hard to get a good cheekweld and still see through the scope.

- Return to zero can be iffy.  Some people get around this by bedding the mount to the handle.

- The ARMS #2 isn't true Picatinny spec - the slot spacing is wrong, and the flexibility is a bit limited.  They make an extended version that appears to be Picatinny spec, but I haven't actually measured one.

A better bet may be to put a non-magnified optic (Eotech/Holosight, red dot, etc) on an A2 gooseneck mount, which lets you both co-witness (depending on the optic) and keep a good cheekweld.  It's good for aging eyes, but there's no magnification, of course.

Another option is a railed handguard with a scout scope.  You'd want a very solid railed handguard for that, as some tend to shift.

My ARMS #2 stayed secure while I used it to get groups, but it was on a .22 upper, so there was little recoil.  This is it with a Leupold 4-12x40 in a couple of low Leupold QRW mounts.  You can see how high it is.

Here's the same gun with an aimpoint clone on a railed handguard.  This works very well for me as my eyes go old on me, but again, recoil is light.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok Thanks! Thats what I needed to know.

Yea I can see where height might be a problem.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top