Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 12:49:22 PM EDT
Here's my story. I have an AR flat top set up as my varmint rifle with the heavy barrel and free float handguard. I used a Swan Sleeve #36 EX for scope mounting purposes. Now I have another flat top but this is the 16" model with a non floating handguard. I picked up another #36 Swan Sleeve figuring it works good on one why not another. Well the problem is that the sleeve will not go forward far enough to be flush on the back of the rifle because it hits the larger handguard up front. My options as I see them are to live with it as is, cut a little off the front to give clearance for the handguard or replace with some other mounting system. I could use some opinions here if you don't mind.
Thanks,
Tuco
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That´s the same as I did ( look at the "german" AR15 in the picture threads 12) I cut out some alluminium from the free float handguard to get the ARMS #36 fit to the flattop. I can live with that and was already thinking to buy one of the longer ARMS#36 to bolt both together with 2 screws. If you cut it out carefully with a small grinder and black it with the special acid you wont see anything afterwards
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What type of handguards are you using on the carbine?  Sounds like M4 handguards, cause std CAR guards should work.  Instead of altering the #36 (which will lower the resale value down the road) replace the M4's with the Std. if that is the case.  You can pick up a set for $10 on EE.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
223Rem,
As a matter of fact they do happen to be the M4 handguards. I will look for some standards.
Thanks for the info.
Tuco
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Leave the oversize one on the bottom and put the std. size on the top. You also get an added benifit of getting a small ridge along the sides that give a better grip than using both oversise, which are just too hard to hold for some in wet conditions.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
223Rem,
As a matter of fact they do happen to be the M4 handguards. I will look for some standards.
Thanks for the info.
Tuco
View Quote
I happen to have a set of standard carbine handguards which are currently un-employed. If you need 'em to make your set-up work, you can HAVE them; all I would want is a couple bucks to cover shipping. If you're interested, shoot me an e-mail.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Gotta luv it when a plan comes together eh?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
On A Similar Note, does anyone know if an ARMS #38 EX will have any problem attaching to a flat top with a free-float FIRSH handguard?  is the muzzle end of the rail open or closed around the end of the upper?

Before you start in on me about putting a long rail on an already railed upper and forearm, I was thinking about this because I want a BUIS should the need arise as well as the long rail for ring placement on a conventional scope.

My other option is a seperate BUIS and real tall rings to clear the sight.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
On A Similar Note, does anyone know if an ARMS #38 EX will have any problem attaching to a flat top with a free-float FIRSH handguard?  is the muzzle end of the rail open or closed around the end of the upper?

Before you start in on me about putting a long rail on an already railed upper and forearm, I was thinking about this because I want a BUIS should the need arise as well as the long rail for ring placement on a conventional scope.

My other option is a seperate BUIS and real tall rings to clear the sight.

- Nw -
View Quote
In this case, you can go with an ARMS #40 BUIS, and a set of ARMS #22[b]H[/b] rings. The rings will place the scope at the same height as standard iron sights, so cheekweld won't be a problem.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top