BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2006 11:26:47 AM EDT
I find it quite interesting how everybody thinks they have an M4 barrel and brag about features such as F stamped FSB, feedramps, MP testing, blah, blah, blah, yet they can't seem to use a M4 notched handguard cap on a M4 barrel.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the intended purpose of the two notches?  M203?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep; the notches are made so that the M203 can clear the handguard cap.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, an F marked FSB works better with certain BUIS'
Feed ramps should keep FTF's lessened
MP barrels should be better quality and take more abuse.

All things that every rifle could use to improve reliabilty.

an M203 notch is used by what, 3-5% of all AR/M16 civilian use?

Wait about 10-20 years...then the acurate parts will start coming into play...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Cause I am not trying to reproduce anything exactly and I don't us an M203. However the other things, I do use.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no use for a notched handguard cap. In fact, I have no use for a notched barrel.

I don't use Wiley-X shooting glasses, either.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have no use for a notched handguard cap. In fact, I have no use for a notched barrel.

I don't use Wiley-X shooting glasses, either.

The man's got it all figured out.

I don't care how Ubertactical an M4 profiled barrel looks like; I don't see myself having an M203 anytime soon, I'll stick with a regular AR barrel anyday. Notched handguard caps on a civilian AR15 are as useful as spinners on hubcaps.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe because they don't have an M-203.

I dont see how building a personal rifle benefits from slavishly sticking to mil-spec peculiar interchangability options I have no desire to exercise. The extra security of an intact handguard cap will be of greater benefit to me, as I have no intentions of defiling my rifle with a clunky blooper.

None of my carbines even have a handguard cap, LOL.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well only 3-5% of the civilain population pushes there rifle to the limit where MP testing and feedramps matter.  Nice logic on you part.  You got it thrown right back in your face.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#10]
And it doesn't matter if you guys aren't using a M203.  

That doesn't negate the fact that some companies say there stuff is milspec when it is not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That doesn't negate the fact that some companies say there stuff is milspec when it is not.

Mil-Spec is a bunch of crap that newbs care about, as far as features go. I only care about mil-spec insofar as I want materials and finishes that meet or exceed the spec.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mil-Spec is a bunch of crap that newbs care about, as far as features go. I only care about mil-spec insofar as I want materials and finishes that meet or exceed the spec.

Still not proving me wrong and you better not be implying that I'm a newb.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]

You'd have to be the biggest dork ever to get worked up over this.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Definitely not implying that you are a newb. Dude, you have forgotten more about Colt ARs than I ever knew.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Big...........Friggen...........Deal.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well only 3-5% of the civilain population pushes there rifle to the limit where MP testing and feedramps matter.  Nice logic on you part.  You got it thrown right back in your face.

Uh, yeah it is good logic...those things can get used EVERY TIME the trigger is pulled.
Not about historical acuracy or some NFA toy.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:59:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Never owned a KAC RAS. Does mounting one with a cap negate the FF aspect?

Or can you even mount a cap with the KAC?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:36:31 AM EDT
[#19]
M4 barrel - check
cut out hand guard cap - check
I guess my Bushy M4 upper is cool...
WAIT! no M4 feed ramps ramps...
I guess it is crap now

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a J@CKA$$ you are.

Whats the whole point to this thread anyway?

To affirm your lofty CLT knowledge and post count, I suppose.

Go jump up and down and beat your chest somewhere else. The pit perhaps.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Big...........Friggen...........Deal.

+1

If the SHTF and I see an M203 laying around thats what my dremel is for...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#22]

you better not be implying that I'm a newb

Wow! you sure called him out! You are so cool! I wish I could be cool like you, and be rude to people I don't even know when they just try to have a discussion with me....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Where is this "cap" everyone is talking about? I guess since I don't even know about it, i'm the newb.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#24]
it's the little round or triangle thing behind the front sight base that standard handguards snap into.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Yawn.... I gave up drinking coolaid when I was 14.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I just threw all of my AR's in the trash.  My Colt went in first for having a commie sear-block (not mil-spec), commie FCG pins that are oversized (not mil-spec), and because it didn't say M4 on it.  The rest of my AR's had to go because they didn't have mil-spec handguard caps.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#27]
It says M4 on the lower, it shoots ok, never a problem with it. Shit....no m4 cap. Now what?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or else what?

What a jackass.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Wow!  It sure got quite in here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I find it quite interesting how everybody thinks they have an M4 barrel and brag about features such as F stamped FSB, feedramps, MP testing, blah, blah, blah, yet they can't seem to use a M4 notched handguard cap on a M4 barrel. have a small penis.

Fixed
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Never owned a KAC RAS. Does mounting one with a cap negate the FF aspect?

Or can you even mount a cap with the KAC?

A KAC RAS is not a FF hand guard. It attaches using the front cap and the delta ring like a regular hand guard but has a lever that tightens up in the back to lock the HG to the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#32]
This thread is dumb.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#33]
And for you people who think this is a pro-Colt thread...

Can you point out where I stated the word "Colt" in this entire thread?

What do you guys have to say about other companies (Bushy, LMT) offering the correct handguard cap?

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
And for you people who think this is a pro-Colt thread...

Can you point out where I stated the word "Colt" in this entire thread?

What do you guys have to say about other companies (Bushy, LMT) offering the correct handguard cap?

Can you point out where someone stated this was a pro colt thread?

As far as the other caps go........ No one gives a crap.

Other manufactures that offer the cap? Mosty likely that was whats avaliable at the lowest price.

How about you proving that the caps are actually manufactured by the said vendors.

Your the self proclaimed expert here, you should know that any given AR type rifle here is not a throughbred. Including the Colts you seem to stroke.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#35]
This thread has outlasted its usefulness.

THE CHUCK HAS SPOKEN!!!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#36]

How about you proving that the caps are actually manufactured by the said vendors.

What does that have to do with anything?

This is a matter of what companies correctly use them and what companies don't

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Can you point out where someone stated this was a pro colt thread?

As far as the other caps go........ No one gives a crap.

Other manufactures that offer the cap? Mosty likely that was whats avaliable at the lowest price.

Your the self proclaimed expert here, you should know that any given AR type rifle here is not a throughbred. Including the Colts you seem to stroke.

Colt vs. Brand X
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#38]
this is AWOB
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Go jump up and down and beat your chest somewhere else. The pit perhaps.

Considering you never post anything technical or worthwhile on the AR board, I think you belong in the pit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Yawn.... I gave up drinking coolaid when I was 14.

Here is another one accusing Colt vs. Brand X.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I just threw all of my AR's in the trash.  My Colt went in first for having a commie sear-block (not mil-spec), commie FCG pins that are oversized (not mil-spec), and because it didn't say M4 on it.  The rest of my AR's had to go because they didn't have mil-spec handguard caps.  

Another one.

Not once in this thread did I say Colt was superior on this topic than other brands.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another one.

Not once in this thread did I say Colt was superior on this topic than other brands.

Uh... your profile pic says a lot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#44]
One came with my Bushy M4 1/7 assembly..was curious why the cap looked like that but it doesent matter I dont have an M203...besides what were they doing to XM177s to get the M203 on with out those cuts back in the old days.If they would make the 203 quick release you probably wouldnt even see the M4 profile.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
One came with my Bushy M4 1/7 assembly..was curious why the cap looked like that but it doesent matter I dont have an M203...besides what were they doing to XM177s to get the M203 on with out those cuts back in the old days.If they would make the 203 quick release you probably wouldnt even see the M4 profile.

That is a great question. I never understood the point of modifing every subsequent weapon in the inventory instead of modifing the 203s(or mount up) which is much cheaper in the long run. I guess if I were spending someone else's money I wouldn't care either.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a great question. I never understood the point of modifing every subsequent weapon in the inventory instead of modifing the 203s(or mount up) which is much cheaper in the long run. I guess if I were spending someone else's money I wouldn't care either.

I fail to see how this would be any simplier.  

You would have two different types of mounts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I fail to see how this would be any simplier.  

You would have two different types of mounts.

It is simple- in a rifle SQD, there is two grenadiers. In the same SQD, there is 5 riflemen. SO why modify 5 additional carbines instead of just the 2 M203s?

Modify 2x M203s (or mounts) or modify 7 weapons

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Because you don't know what carbines/rifles will be fitted with an M203 at the time of manufacture.

Still not really following you either.  Could you elaborate more.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Because you don't know what carbines/rifles will be fitted with an M203 at the time of manufacture.

That is why my response was to modify the M203 or mount not the weapon.

If you can't follow the discussion son, don't try.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is why my response was to modify the M203 or mount not the weapon.

If you can't follow the discussion son, don't try.

I was trying to get you to explain you position better to make sure what you're saying is what I am understanding

Because you position is wrong and don't call me "son"

It is more work to manufacture and stock two types of mounts.  Instead of performing two simple machining steps on one type of weapon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top