Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2004 8:37:05 PM EDT
Getting FTF's in my M4orgery.

Needed cleaning, done, noticed gas rings out of alignment, realingned.

Go to the range, FTF's. Pulled bolt, rings out of alignment again. Realigned. Repeat. Out of alignment again. Seems rings are a bit loose.

Suggestions, gas tube dirty maybe? Should I hit it with some gun scrubber?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The ring alignment doesn't matter.  They move.  You could line them all up with the gaps all aliigned and it would shoot fine.  They wont stay that way anyway.

Gas tubes dont really get dirty enough for restriction, at lease I have never seen one.

If this was a good running rifle, then just started this behavior with no mods, I would check that your carrier gas key screw are tight and staked well first.

Clean and lube per the TM with CLP.

Insert one round only.  Bolt carrier should lock back.  If not.  Determine if it is mag related, gas related, buffer related, or binding.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of alignment as in they weren't lined up at 120 degree intervals.

Thanks for reminding me, it was failing to lock back on one round.

Anyway, the GK had a little wiggle to it. Almost nothing but tightened the bolts and now no wiggle at all. Hope that's it.

What's "staked" mean when you say "screws are tight and staked well"?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Out of alignment as in they weren't lined up at 120 degree intervals.

Thanks for reminding me, it was failing to lock back on one round.

Anyway, the GK had a little wiggle to it. Almost nothing but tightened the bolts and now no wiggle at all. Hope that's it.

Thanks.

Yeah that was probably it. Remember to loctite and STAKE the key, else it will come loose again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yeah that was probably it. Remember to loctite and STAKE the key, else it will come loose again.

+1000... on both that being the problem and clean/gunscrubber/dry, loctite, stake.... or mister short stroke will be visiting you again soon.

Wiggling gas key = malfunctioning AR15.

Staked means you take a center punch, and punch the top of the key near the gask key screws, in order to swell the key material enough to put pressure on the screw.  This further keeps the screws from backing out.  All carriers should be staked from the factory.  Some are not at all, and some are not done well enough.  I stake the CRAP outa mine.... I have had too many come loose.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Locktite, no problem, but what's "stake"?

Sorry, just never heard that before.

Ah, now I see it. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Locktite, no problem, but what's "stake"?

Sorry, just never heard that before.

See above your post.  Added.

Also.... a quick little "search" of the board turns up wonders....

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=199425
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Did what you suggested with the GK.

Went to the range today.

Flawless.

Thanks for the help.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top