Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/8/2004 6:59:50 PM EST
I am looking for a quality bolt carrier to replace my stock one. Anyone with some experience and able to recommend a brand/type would be a big help. Also, is there an advantage to titanium bolts that justifies the cost?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:27:16 PM EST
is there a problem with the one you have?

check ee they have good deals over there and the dealers are superb
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:08:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 8:31:01 PM EST by BMM4A3]
I recently purchased a JP stainless bolt carrier. It is a top quality item and the machining is excellent. The bearing surfaces on is are twice as large to distribute the wear more evenly on the receiver. I purchased it because I received an upper that I needed a bolt group for. You shouldn`t need to replace the bolt carrier..it is one of the last things to ge bad in an AR. Unless you are like me and just like to spend money on your rifle and like to top of the line equipment. I put a Titanium Nitride bolt in the JP carrier. The bolt is not Titanium, it is still steel, just coated with Titanium Nitride. TiN is harder than Chrome so it acts towards the same goal. The only real advantage is it is easier to clean...mainly because you can see the crap better....... I got this bolt off a friend for a good price. I could not justify paying the high prices for TiN parts just because it is gold.

I polished the part of the carrier under the dust cover to a brilliant shine. Why? Just cause I could. Does turn heads though at the range. The gold bolt in a silver carrier looks pretty sweet cycling in the rifle.

Anyway, the JP carrier is an excellent carrier if that is what you are looking for. You shouldn`t need to ever replace your carrier though unless stock just doesn`t do it for you.

Some pics
http://vcufiles.vcu.edu/nebletteb/AR15/TinBolt.JPG
http://vcufiles.vcu.edu/nebletteb/AR15/bolts.jpg
http://vcufiles.vcu.edu/nebletteb/AR15/JPcarrier1.jpg

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:47:38 AM EST
BMM4A3:

From whom did you get your Tin coated bolt? How's the workmanship?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:26:08 AM EST
I bought it off a friend who bought it from Del-ton and never had a need for it. heres a link to it:

www.del-ton.com/detail.aspx?ID=334

The bolt is by DPMS and the workmanship is excellent. The TiN coating is extremely smooth and very well done. I hand polished the bearing surfaces of the bolt to make it even more smoother operating. This would happen over time anyway, but I couldn`t wait.... The extractor is a slightly darker shade of gold and is not nearly as smooth as the bolt itself as you can probably see from the pictures.

I paid $50 for the bolt which was a good deal, but I don`t know if I could justify paying $63.......

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:48:45 PM EST
Just get a Colt, Bushmaster or LMT M16 carrier and be done with it.

If you want the bling factor the Les Baer / Young carrier is the best machined and highest quality carrier made but expensive and no more reliable than the M16 carriers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:16:20 PM EST
Well, Eklikwhao, I am having a problem of sorts with my bolt carrier. I have a new Colt 6920 that I have put approx. 800 rounds through and it is showing abnormal/excessive wear compared to my prevoius AR's. This is my third rifle and all of them have been Colts as well. On this rifle the bottom side of the bolt carrier shoulder that is directly under the firing pin where it is angled has developed a thin, deep groove that is actually gouging a 'trough'. I haven't seen anything like this before. I can't find anything on the lower receiver that is showing what the cause is. It almost makes me think that the carrier wasn't properly heat treated(?) or something. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:19:36 PM EST
ALmost forgot, thanks for the pics of the JP, BMM4A3......If I can't fix mine then the JP may be a solution.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:34:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By TxLawDog:
Well, Eklikwhao, I am having a problem of sorts with my bolt carrier. I have a new Colt 6920 that I have put approx. 800 rounds through and it is showing abnormal/excessive wear compared to my prevoius AR's. This is my third rifle and all of them have been Colts as well. On this rifle the bottom side of the bolt carrier shoulder that is directly under the firing pin where it is angled has developed a thin, deep groove that is actually gouging a 'trough'. I haven't seen anything like this before. I can't find anything on the lower receiver that is showing what the cause is. It almost makes me think that the carrier wasn't properly heat treated(?) or something. Any ideas?

I'd be calling Colt Customer Service Number!!!!!

That bolt should be good for 10K rounds or better!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:43:47 PM EST

Like, for example, where the hammer contacts?

What hammer is in the rifle? Can you see any burrs or sharp edges on the corner of the hammer?

FWIW, I run the JP SS carriers in several of my rifles, no complaints.

-z

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:09:46 PM EST

Originally Posted By BMM4A3:
I recently purchased a JP stainless bolt carrier. It is a top quality item and the machining is excellent. The bearing surfaces on is are twice as large to distribute the wear more evenly on the receiver. I purchased it because I received an upper that I needed a bolt group for. You shouldn`t need to replace the bolt carrier..it is one of the last things to ge bad in an AR. Unless you are like me and just like to spend money on your rifle and like to top of the line equipment. I put a Titanium Nitride bolt in the JP carrier. The bolt is not Titanium, it is still steel, just coated with Titanium Nitride. TiN is harder than Chrome so it acts towards the same goal. The only real advantage is it is easier to clean...mainly because you can see the crap better....... I got this bolt off a friend for a good price. I could not justify paying the high prices for TiN parts just because it is gold.

I polished the part of the carrier under the dust cover to a brilliant shine. Why? Just cause I could. Does turn heads though at the range. The gold bolt in a silver carrier looks pretty sweet cycling in the rifle.

Anyway, the JP carrier is an excellent carrier if that is what you are looking for. You shouldn`t need to ever replace your carrier though unless stock just doesn`t do it for you.

Some pics
vcufiles.vcu.edu/nebletteb/AR15/TinBolt.JPG
vcufiles.vcu.edu/nebletteb/AR15/bolts.jpg
vcufiles.vcu.edu/nebletteb/AR15/JPcarrier1.jpg

+1 If you have a stainless barrel the harmonic bling you get when it slams home is a colossal chubby stirring sound.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:35:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By DevL:
Just get a Colt, Bushmaster or LMT M16 carrier and be done with it.

If you want the bling factor the Les Baer / Young carrier is the best machined and highest quality carrier made but expensive and no more reliable than the M16 carriers.

+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:38:59 AM EST

Call Colt. They will replace it free of charge. I had an M4 upper receiver with misaligned feed ramps and had a new one in my hands a week after they received it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:42:12 AM EST
BMM4A3, that is a honey of a bolt and carrier you got there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:56:10 AM EST
I wish that I could post some pics of the carrier, but I loaned my camera out and won't have it back for several days.
The damage is where the edge of the hammer comes up. My guess is when the bolt carrier travels rearward, it is somehow gouging. The hammer and all lower parts are factory Colt. I will be contacting Colt in the morning and putting their customer service dept. to the test.
Top Top