Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2003 3:33:08 PM EDT
Im replacing the A-1 stock on my pre-ban with a 6 pos collapsable stock.  I have taken off the stock, but the buffer tube won't budge!  I dont have a stock wrench and was hoping to get the a-1 off and the new one on without having to shed more $$.  I tried to twist it off with my hand, which only gave me some blood blisters... hehe.  I then tried to use some channel locks (plyers), and that too didn't work.  Anything else I can try so save some dough?

Also, what is the best way to put the new colapsable stock on without the actual tool to do it?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im replacing the A-1 stock on my pre-ban with a 6 pos collapsable stock.  I have taken off the stock, but the buffer tube won't budge!  I dont have a stock wrench and was hoping to get the a-1 off and the new one on without having to shed more $$.  I tried to twist it off with my hand, which only gave me some blood blisters... hehe.  I then tried to use some channel locks (plyers), and that too didn't work.  Anything else I can try so save some dough?
View Quote

Try this: take a box wrench (the proper size) and put in on the nut that sticks out at the back end of the buffer tube.  Turn counterclockwise and you are all set.

Also, what is the best way to put the new colapsable stock on without the actual tool to do it?
View Quote

I think you're gonna need a spanner wrench to do that.  They are extremely cheap, and many come with a 1911 recoil spring plug on the other side.  I see them for less than $10, maybe even $5.

HTH.

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no nut on the buffer tube, the thing is perfectly round throughout the whole tube, even where the stock screw goes in on the rear of the tube.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
GOT IT!!!  The buffer tube, near the front, had two holes in it going straight through the tube.  I stuck a piece of metal through and was able to get enough leverage to break the tube free (unscrew the thing i mean, without any breaking or damage to the tube).

The colapsable stock was simple as pie.  Took my trusty chanel-locks with a little padding on the teeth (as to not scratch or damage the locking ring) and tightened the locking ring down!!  Too easy... lol
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#4]
That's an old style tube, might be sort of a collectors item.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#5]
If it is it's in good shape.  Im glad I was carefull to not scratch it.  The Rifle seems to be old but in great shape.  The lower is an EA and in immaculate condition.  The upper is an A-1 style Colt chrome lined 20" barrel.  The stock, as you can tell is an A-1.  Bought it from a guy at a gun show who was selling it for an old lady who's husband died and had no use for it.  $900 for the whole thing.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top