Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2003 6:11:19 AM EDT
I want to put a pre-ban barrel on a post-ban lower and not go to prison.  I can easily remove the bayonet lug, but I need advice on what to do with the threaded muzzle.  I will put a fake suppressor or break on the muzzle, for now, but want to be able to retro-fit a real suppressor if the AWB expires.  I know the "muzzle device" must be "permanently" attached, to preclude the installation of a flash suppressor.  What qualifies as "permanent"?  Silver soldering?  What about green Lok-Tite (the one that requires heating for removal)?  Can I attach a break to my barrel in a legal fashion that will allow me to later remove it and not have damaged the barrel and/or muzzle threads?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
A call to the ATFE might be in order, but I am pretty sure any kind of lock-tite is out.  Silver soldering or welding are the only two methods I am sure will work.  Also, you can pin the MB on, then weld the pin to the MB.  Then when you want to convert if and when the AWB sunsets, you grind off the weld, drop the pin, unscrew the MB and replace with a FS.  The pin hole is all that remains in the thread.  This is the way the fake suppressor is "welded" onto my 45-PDW and is blessed by the ATFE.  After you weld the pin in place, it can be dressed down to be nearly invisible, just don't YOU forget where the pin is welded so the weld can be drilled/ground off.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I want to put a pre-ban barrel on a post-ban lower and not go to prison.  I can easily remove the bayonet lug, but I need advice on what to do with the threaded muzzle.  I will put a fake suppressor or break on the muzzle, for now, but want to be able to retro-fit a real suppressor if the AWB expires.  I know the "muzzle device" must be "permanently" attached, to preclude the installation of a flash suppressor.  What qualifies as "permanent"?  Silver soldering?  What about green Lok-Tite (the one that requires heating for removal)?  Can I attach a break to my barrel in a legal fashion that will allow me to later remove it and not have damaged the barrel and/or muzzle threads?  Thanks.
View Quote

as stated above, You can pin it and weld over the pin, then when the ban expires, grind down the brake or thread protector to the pin, mill around it and remove the pin, then unscrew and replace with a flash hider. Pinning is considered permanent, have a gunsmith do it if you aren't handy with a drill and torch. Cost me $60 to have a brake threaded and pinned on. Thread protector [url]http://www.adcofirearms.com/gasnuts.cfm?page=gs[/url] might be a better option to pin, as my cav comp brake looks cool but is way to loud.
[img]http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/Thread%20Protector.jpg[/img]

fake flash hider from KKF is also a good non-noisy option to pin on in the interim
[url]http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/1371.htm[/url]
[img]http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/i/section_10746/NewFFSPV.jpg[/img]

[img]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks _DR,

I like that thread protector.  I'm not too excited about a muzzle break on an AR.  Way too loud and what's the point?  I mean that little gun hardly kicks to begin with.  If it was full auto it might be worth it.  I can't tell from the ADCO picture if the thread proctector already has a hole for the pin or not.  It looks like it is already parkerized, so that is good.  Will the welding of the pin destroy some of the parkerized finish?  If so, how can I touch it up?  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, but you can prep it with fine grit paper, and blue it, or use high heat black paint. it's a small area, and should be on the underside of the muzzle. The gunsmith I used blued it for me.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top