Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/15/2003 7:33:40 PM EDT
Looking to get an ATN for my flat top Armalite. Are they a quality product? Will it fit directly to the picatinny rail? Thanks for any feedback.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:49:09 PM EDT
They are junk!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:58:54 PM EDT
QCMGR- Did you come to that conclusion through experience?

dfm- I just bought a 5x33L.  It feels quite well-built, and I feel it has good glass.  It lets in good light.  Is it a Leuopold? No. But it didn't cost nearly as much either.

I'm planning on sighting it in Friday, so maybe I can give you more feedback then.  

Finally, from what I've read people have problems the variable-power scopes.  But I have also read good praise of the fixed-power scopes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:16:49 PM EDT
The 5x33L and LU seem to get pretty good reviews, the rest of them are nothing special. I got one of their 6-18x65 scopes cheap (traded a $200 gun for it) and it's not bad, though I wouldn't have paid the ~$500 they sell for new.  It's a decent $200 scope.

I have a 5x33LU on my RobArms M96 and I've been very happy with it. I picked it up for ~ $160.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:17:33 PM EDT
i've had a 5x33 on my armalite for about 5 years. the scope has been beat to hell and never once lost zero. Glass is clear and sharp and i like the reticle.

My only complaint is it's heavy.

mike
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:26:45 PM EDT
It is indeed heavy.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:32:03 PM EDT
I've had the 5x33mm scope on a few AR's and a Mini-14. I think it's on my FAL right now (yeah I know). Haven't got problem one with it in five or so years. Paid $660 for my last Leupold. $200 for the ATN scope.

Heavy - hell most people here spend hundreds of dollars to take their six pound rifle and double it's wieght with every do-dad known to man hung off of it [lol]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:53:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TXN:

dfm- I just bought a 5x33L.  It feels quite well-built, and I feel it has good glass.  It lets in good light.  Is it a Leuopold? No. But it didn't cost nearly as much either.

I'm planning on sighting it in Friday, so maybe I can give you more feedback then.  

Finally, from what I've read people have problems the variable-power scopes.  But I have also read good praise of the fixed-power scopes.
View Quote

Yes! Replaced it with an I.O.R. scope.  100% better.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:26:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By QCMGR:

View Quote

View Quote

for 10 times the price i would hope so.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:57:15 AM EDT
Seems that most of their variable power scopes arent that great while that 5x33 is pretty nice. I'll send Brass a link to this thread, he loves his 5x33.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:57:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2003 6:00:07 AM EDT by QCMGR]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
Originally Posted By QCMGR:

View Quote

View Quote

for 10 times the price i would hope so.
View Quote

5X33L
Price:$200.00
[img]http://www.opticsforyou.com/images/big/5x33l.jpg[/img]

IOR Valdada 4x24 Tactical Purchased 3 years ago.
Price:$300.00
[img]http://www.ketmer.com/0/ketmer/ior/images/01/107.jpg[/img]

1/3rd more, nowhere near 10x more.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:08:44 AM EDT
For size/performance/price/features, I would go with the ATN 5x33 any day.

The Variable Power ATN's are basically very heavy junk.

The 5x33 gives you illuminated ranging reticle, BDC (which I don't generally use), straight 5 power (good to 200yds on smaller targets), and Very Good light gathering in a compact package.

I have beat the hell out of a few and they keep on ticking.

(Same cannot be said for the variable power ATN optics, sadly).  

Want something more?  Get a NightForce.  (yes, I can actually put the 5x ATN next to a NightForce, as I have)
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:16:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/24/2003 6:17:37 AM EDT by Eclipse]
ATN 5x33LU scope is indeed build like a brick house.  Used to have one but sold it.  For short range - 100yards it was fine, but had massive parallax issues.  The BDC may be off by a few inches at longer ranges depending on barrel length, bullet weight, and velocity of ammo.
Top Top